• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is the keep left sign that bothers me with my suggestion. But I only remember the Spring Hill library junction up until 1954, after which major changes started to take place.

The tower of Christ Church, Sparkbrook looks remarkably similar to the one in the background, I'm not saying that this building is a church but it looks like there was a church nearby. The church was demolished around 2005. John
I've just had a look in the thread below but the church has a wall round the churchyard whereas the building where the bus was is directly on the road ... :)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/church-of-christ-sparkhill.48453/post-388066

I have gone through all of my Hockley photos and the only one I can find that may be the spire in the back ground is this one. St Georges St Georges Church Hockley.jpg

that bus stop you seeing was the 82/83 bus stop and to say its just pulled off is a wim cos as i say it was on its way to rosemary street and it came down monument road from the ivy bush and turned left thats why the bus looks so close to the pavent and for the distance passing the bus stop and yes john is correct cos my mate silvester learnt is trade there and went to there market hall to be manager the libary never had a make over only a yet stone wash i grew up there so i have to smile at this
Astonian;;;;

If one looks at the tower over the top of the bus, there are two 'mini spires' per side, making 8 in all. The only tower I have found with the remotest similarity is the the one on Central Hall. I thought that the view therefore was in Dalton Street but I cannot find a stepped window arrangement on that street. I seem to remember that many bus stops had a 'cobbled' area alongside the stop.

I phil i have to keep on as i know that his springhill i lived on the door step of the place everyday of the week 7 days aweek
even got my books from there and the news agents is where we got our fags on the way down to school
He was the only bloke whom would serve us the the for litte dominos in a litte packey the other side is walter smiths as i have previuosly said and yes this side of the bus the libary windows do get slightley smaller one mis judgement i made it comes around from ickneild street and it as tw pivots spaced out early i said about the bus stop there was only a rail and that would have been yards from the turf and another point i did say 82/3 well infact it was the 83 bus stop where our friends think it took off from and it never did the number 8 never stopped on the springhill but that 83 bus stop was yards from the other bus stops that wa a series of the 82 and the midland red and 87 along with a couple more
the only time the number 8 ever diverted was prior that year i have got in a book it was diverted down
Ickneld port road and turned right right along freeth street by the crown pub and that was before bill landon bought the picture for his displays staight to the botton and came out of Ickneld square by biddle and webbs back on track on monument road and the reason for that from the swimming baths down to ledsam street monument was all ripped up replacing water pipes and did you notice on the bus behind the driver seat was the bus conductor every day of the week we are down doing our shopping and we used to start our pub crawl from the turf along to the warstone down to the gate
and further down to the corner pf pickford street and work a way the soho hill as kids and young fellas we travelled the circle every week and if we never we would go aroundon the 11 its a pity we do not have enough of ladwoodnite on this forum they can confirm it, its the same people from lichfield road cromwell terreace would be great Astonian;;;;;

The building to the right of the driver and about level with the upper deck, seems to show an unusual set of 3 windows that cascade downwards. I can't find this feature on Spring Hill Library

I have picked up that architectural feature too. I have seen that type of feature before, it’s not unique and usefully found on church building. I cannot think where at the moment.

I have been on this thread from the start, nearly drove myself nuts, all I will say is it's not Spring Hill library, have now given up.

One last go at adjusting the photo to try and improve background.

Attachments

• 8D03B062-49EE-44C3-89BA-838E99ACE582.jpeg
    8D03B062-49EE-44C3-89BA-838E99ACE582.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 53
I guess his will go in the box with the Great Barr photo. :eek:
One of the principal problems with identifying old photos on the Inner Circle, and city centre, bus routes is that so much of the landscape on the routes has been swept away or dramatically changed.

I’ve done a search through a large number of aerial photos over dates from 1934 to 1947 covering districts from Hagley Rd to Hockley, from Icknield Port Rd to Roseberry Rd and seen no buildings like the one in the bus pic. Maybe the location is on the eastern or southern side of the Inner Circle route.

The post #73 s showing chimney pots above the bus roof. I’m not sure churches had chimneys so more than likely a library,school or a community building.

I have been watching this posting with much anticipation
I too was raised in this area and spent many an hour in Spring Hill library.
First of all, I would say it is not Icknield street or Spring Hill library for the following reasons:
1. The road looks to narrow at this point.
2. The building bears little resemblance to the architecture of the library.
3. I don't remember there being a bust stop so close to the traffic lights.
4. If you look past the bus to where the junction of Camden street should, the road appears to have a bend in it which Icknield street didn't have. Also there appears to be street furniture (keep left sign?) at the junction of Camden street, which also is wrong.
5. I agree with a previous posting that the tower that can bee seen behind the bus is also wrong.

Interesting thread. I'll keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back