• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I think it is not Spring Hill Library ...:)
In Pic 1 in post#11 the library windows run continuously from about 4ft above street level to elaborate features at their top. In Pic 2 the lower windows finish halfway up and then another set of windows are higher up. Also in Pic 2 there appears to be a roof sloping down to a cornice. The library does not have a cornice or a roof sloping towards it. I have since edited highlight colour on to these features of Pic 2 in #11

What was the date of the diversions? I have details of diversions in 1962 but the bus was withdrawn by that time.
Although I do not know when the Belgrave Middleway are clearances in the area commenced it does suggest that it was post 1960.

Yes it's St Luke's Church at the junction of St Lukes Road and Bristol Street.

Edgbaston Bristol Rd St Lukes 1979.JPG

This thread has got most convoluted. Any new reader of it might have issues sorting the sheep from the goats. It would, I believe, be helpful if answers to questions quoted the post to which they are replying.
I suggest this as we have two photographs both have had definitive answers but there are still some posts doubting the location of the initial photo in Post 1.
Maybe the St. Luke's answer could be relocated to the thread which has Phil's photo in the Sun Street thread. Given that Sun Street no longer seems to exist, it might add to that thread.

Altering the light levels in two sections of the image
1. Above the top right corner of the bus there appears to be a tower with pointed sub towers.
2. A 'keep left' sign suggests there is a cross-roads junction and the traffic behind the sign is at an angle showing that the road the bus is on bears to the left from there.
mysterybus.jpeg

Very similar to springhill library oldmohawk isn’t it.
An aerial view dated 1933. The arrow marks where the bus would be postioned if it was by the library waiting to cross towards Monument Rd and shows that the tower of the library could not have been behind the bus. :)
Library1933.jpg
source - 'britainfromabove'

I suppose those of us who think it is not the library need to find a building!

The problem is there has been so much redevelopment on the old Inner Circle route many buildings have been demolished.

Looking at how the bus fills the image it could have been cropped from a wider image to fit the book page.

I’m hopefully looking in the Hockley area ...

I agree the building has probably been gone some time. The overhanging streetlights maybe a help too

Adjusted Mohawks photo just a tad more, don't know if this helps.

Attachments

• 8D03B062-49EE-44C3-89BA-838E99ACE582.jpeg
    8D03B062-49EE-44C3-89BA-838E99ACE582.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 46
Thanks John it reinforces my view that it is not the library. I'm presently looking at Icknield St School ... it's got a tower but I'm not sure whether Inner Circle buses went past it .... so maybe not ...

Hi John i have just popped on for now to see whats on here today,but i will be poppng off very quickly again but i just wanted to say that when that picture of the number eight bus the presenter said it was springhill and straight away i had doubts as i lived right by springhill libary and just back up from the libary in kingedwards road at the corner of monument road so i know the area very well and i was a member of the libary and i can tell you all the shop names from there down ickneild street and springhill its self and i know ladywood and the circle very well but i will not have the time to study it now as i have got an hospital appointment to see my consultant but i will be on the case when i get back i did promise yesterday about the grt tindal street where babybush disputed of grt tindal street in ladywood excisted well it did i did say from day one and monument road crosses the street i was unable to put it on last night as i fell a sleep but i have got pics for him and the map of ladywood with grt tindal street and of browning street but yes getting back to the number eight i have screened the back ground to the scene of springhill and there is one or two things comes to mind looking back from the bus you would have seen a shot of the midland bank plus the keep left sign was never there but in the middle of the shot there was an old trm shelter stuck in the middle of the road which i never seen would have been in that period
well jhngot to dash but wi

Phil,

I agree with you that the picture has almost certainly been cropped out of a larger one - it is so grainy and lacking in focus. But unless someone can come up with a larger original, it doesn't get us any further! :)

Maurice

Phil,
I agree with you that the picture has almost certainly been cropped out of a larger one - it is so grainy and lacking in focus. But unless someone can come up with a larger original, it doesn't get us any further! :)

Maurice
Hi Maurice,

I noted the CVP 108 number plate on the bus and had a search for a bus with that number and good old Google found it in scrapyard !

Phil
cvp108.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back