• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to my aunt today who clearly remembers a bus stop with a roof on in St Lukes Rd opposite-the church in the original photo. She has lived all her life in the city, now 87 and has clear memories of the are.

There has been the question as to what was on the left hand side of the Library in the picture. I hope I have this right. The 1940 Kelly’s for Spring Hill from the library towards Dudley Road.

View attachment 131413
Pedrocut number 25 Brown's I can never forget this shop , it was not only the strong smell of leather wafting throughout the shop. The overriding factor was , whenever my mother and I walked into the shop Mr Brown immediately broke into song(I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen) , I always dreaded this song as I had thoughts that he was going to make off with my Mother. Strange thing was my Mother's name was Catherine , I suppose Catherine didn't fit into the song as well , I was only about 4 or 5 at the time

Why Methodists (if that is what is meant). Wycliffe was a Baptist Church, one of many with that name.
Because I have a Methodist contact who is interested in the history of Methodism in the Black Country. He also interested in other forms of non-conformity including Baptist. He has contacts in Birmingham and may know someone who could help.

There may be records of Wycliffe Chapel and the Sunday School in St Luke’s Road still in existence, and I am sure he would point in the right direction.

At first glance I would have said Wycliffe Congregational Church in Stockport but that church does not have a spire and the tracery of the windows is different.
View attachment 131854

I will have to check the programme again, but nearly all was filmed in Birmingham. After the shot of the chapel it goes on to show the Baptist Church in Canon Street .

Many of the “Windrush” generation were Baptists and may remember the Chapel on St Luke’s Road. The screenshot is not our Wycliffe as it has a churchyard.

An excerpt from the First Black Brummies was shown on BBC TV Inside - out West Midlands this evening and I saw the image copied by Pedrocut above as one of the unnamed chapels in the film. Another shot showed the chapel that used to be at the bottom of Brasshouse Lane in Smethwick next to the canals. I always remember the large inscription painted on the wall 'Where will you spend eternity?'. I thought this was a boatmen's chapel

I am a newcomer to BHF and still learning to find my way about. So, is this the only conversation about the First Black Brummies, TV programme, "What chapel was that?"?

The b/w films gave a real feel of the chill that seemed to characterise Birmingham in the 50's. The equivalent of Manchester's drizzle. Sure I was young, had a few coppers in my pocket, knew my way round the pubs and jazz clubs and was relatively happy.

Once the different christian factions stopped burning each other Birmingham has always been a place targeted by immigrants. Mainly non-conformists I think. Then mainly agricultural workers. My mother's family came from north Lincs. I can only trace my father's family to a small village on the far side of Staffs but they seemed to have a celtic appearance.

It has always surprised how immigrant ancestors picked up the local accents/dialects. And they they picked up local trades too, nothing like their agricultural tasks. One was a 'banker'! You what? There are a lot of ditches in Lincs and someone has to maintain their banks.

To have come to Birmingham in the 50's and stuck it out must have been difficult. I remember from that era
- an estate agent's board in Small Heath saying "Whites only",
- a London newpaper saying that a part of Birmingham was so notorious that it was now called Soho,
- Belgrave Road was known as "Burma Road"
- "How can you tell someone is Birmingham bus conductor?"
"He's a black man with a sprig of shamrock in his turban.

Actually what I wanted to talk about is the attached photo. If the people in the TV programme the first black Brummies who was that chap on the right of this photo. It is the annual club photo of Small Heath Harriers in 1922 taken in the yard of the Old Bull Hotel, Coventry Road. My father is on it, aged 17.

Immigrants are folk usually from another country. If they were not then something like 70% or more of the population in the SW of England could be known as that as would be other favourite retirement places. :laughing: Yes, people from other parts of England would have been Protestant as it is a predominately Protestant country.
However, as far as incomers from other European countries is concerned then the Italian and Irish people who found a new home in the city would more than likely to be Roman Catholic. I believe Birmingham would be a close second to London with its highly mixed background population, particularity as industry grew and workers drifted away from agriculture.

PS: We still haven't located the bus yet! :scream:

I am a newcomer to BHF and still learning to find my way about. So, is this the only conversation about the First Black Brummies, TV programme, "What chapel was that?"?

The b/w films gave a real feel of the chill that seemed to characterise Birmingham in the 50's. The equivalent of Manchester's drizzle. Sure I was young, had a few coppers in my pocket, knew my way round the pubs and jazz clubs and was relatively happy.

Once the different christian factions stopped burning each other Birmingham has always been a place targeted by immigrants. Mainly non-conformists I think. Then mainly agricultural workers. My mother's family came from north Lincs. I can only trace my father's family to a small village on the far side of Staffs but they seemed to have a celtic appearance.

It has always surprised how immigrant ancestors picked up the local accents/dialects. And they they picked up local trades too, nothing like their agricultural tasks. One was a 'banker'! You what? There are a lot of ditches in Lincs and someone has to maintain their banks.

To have come to Birmingham in the 50's and stuck it out must have been difficult. I remember from that era
- an estate agent's board in Small Heath saying "Whites only",
- a London newpaper saying that a part of Birmingham was so notorious that it was now called Soho,
- Belgrave Road was known as "Burma Road"
- "How can you tell someone is Birmingham bus conductor?"
"He's a black man with a sprig of shamrock in his turban.

Actually what I wanted to talk about is the attached photo. If the people in the TV programme the first black Brummies who was that chap on the right of this photo. It is the annual club photo of Small Heath Harriers in 1922 taken in the yard of the Old Bull Hotel, Coventry Road. My father is on it, aged 17.

View attachment 132601

There are several mentions of SH Harriers in the press for 1922, if you were willing to give the name we could have a look.

Interesting question about the chap on the right, much before the "Windrush" generation! I remember my old man telling me about a "black man" he used to play football with in the 1930s. Apparently he was very popular.

It could well be the first mention.

There is a Thread for Small Heath Harriers and the great photo provided by JohnWish has also been placed there. It would be of interest to athletics researchers. I will provide a bit of info on that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back