• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Location please?

Mr Oracle

This shot was one of several taken by COMMERCIAL MOTOR around 1960 on the Birmingham vegetable markets. Is it Smithfield please? And which road?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

It's the Spiceal St, Jamaica Row frontage to Smithfield Market.

Phil

Is that an A40 Countryman on teh right hand side? My Dad had one of those where the tailgate split horizontally so you could use the lower part like a table.

Is that an A40 Countryman on teh right hand side? My Dad had one of those where the tailgate split horizontally so you could use the lower part like a table.

From right to left, as best I can work it out, VW Type 2, Austin A40 van with window conversion (that looks like a Countryman), Austin 152 or Morris J2, Morris Minor Countryman (MM?), Austin K4 Series II Loadmaster, Ford Thames 400E series van, and a platform lorry. The car on the left is foxing me but I wonder if it's a Humber?

Here's another shot from the same series..hope this is of interest. Thanks to everyone!

In this shot: Ford Consul Mk II, Ford Thames ET7 with the D4 diesel engine, Commer Superpoise or Morris-Commercial WE/Austin 4K with Airflow Streamlines cab, and passing them a Leyland Comet with the Briggs Motor Bodies cab and iun the right background a Thames Trader Mk I.

I think you are correct regarding the Humber. Hawk or possibly a Super Snipe.

Back