• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Location, Location, Location

I have this lovely photograph but no location. I do not expect this thread to run as long as the epic St. Luke's Road bus thread but it will be interesting to see how it goes. Don't look up the bloke - just click on the photograph for some background on him .....

looks like the old crown pub digbeth with the library on the corner...todays view

lyn

Different windows Lyn, plus the buildings seem to adjoin whereas the Crown Inn was on the street corner. Also, it is on a slope in the pic but the area around the Crown is flat. So ... nil points ;)

Probably a silly suggestion but would there have been a connection to the Barrel Organ pub in Digbeth( later known as the Dubliner) I know it wasn't that old but was there an older pub on the site once?

Looks like a building in the Bull Ring, near junction with High Street, so near top of the slope walking away from Digbeth. They seem to be fundraising. Viv.

Photo seems to have been taken around the 1930s in an urban area. The building seems to be a fairly large exposed timber framed building either original late medieval / early modern or later. Only the Old Crown seems to fit this description but the building in the picture does not appear to be the Old Crown design. But I only know the Old Crown from photos of its front. So I would like to see a full on side view of the Old Crown.

Of course although Mr Secondini is based in Birmingham, the photo might have been taken in another city/town.

Hmmmmm?

Could it have been the building in the background, behind the horse ? This photo is of Moat Row c1900. Viv.
View attachment 165783
The timber framed building above the cow's back in this c1900 photo appears to be the Plough and Harrow pub on Jamaica Row (see: photo on https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/jamaica-row/plough-and-harrow.htm for a c.1930 photo of pub). Alas this pub appears to be too narrow to be the building pictured in 'www.midlandspubs.co.uk's' original posting on this thread.

Last edited:
That helps. The ground level doesn’t look to me like the P&H. Interestingly Kieran’s write up says:

Key features included a Dutch gable to the yard, a tower capped with a dome turret and a façade of timber cladding to instill a little flavour of the Tudor era. The latter feature was similar to the frontage of the New Inn around the corner in Bromsgrove Street”.(Source: www.midlandspubs.co.uk)

Do we have an image of the New Inns, Bromsgrove Street anywhere ? Viv.

That helps. The ground level doesn’t look to me like the P&H. Interestingly Kieran’s write up says:

Key features included a Dutch gable to the yard, a tower capped with a dome turret and a façade of timber cladding to instill a little flavour of the Tudor era. The latter feature was similar to the frontage of the New Inn around the corner in Bromsgrove Street”.(Source: www.midlandspubs.co.uk)

Do we have an image of the New Inns, Bromsgrove Street anywhere ? Viv.

I have a pic in one of my boxes but I can confirm that it only had timbers around windows and the three prominent dormer/gables. The ground floor was stone, brick and glass so that is not the one.

A photo of the New Inn at 191-4 Bromsgrove Street is in Andrew Maxam's 'Time Please' (2002). The only exposed timber is three dormer windows on the top (3rd) floor of the building. Alas, this does not appear to be the timber framed building from the first post of this thread.
.... which means I agree with Kieran's earlier post (No.21)

Back