• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

LMS Railway Delivery Vehicles

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
This picture was passed to me by a distant cousin (many times removed). He advised that it was of Frederick Vanstone (my grandfathers brother) who had used horse drawn transport for deliveries from the railway and now with the first motorised truck for the LMS in Birmingham to be used for rail deliveries and that Fred was the first driver to use it. He is the man in the uniform. Can someone crop and rotate this, we cannot (my four year old and I) attach a cropped version

Bob

Attachments

• vanstone-1.pdf.jpg
    vanstone-1.pdf.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 43
This picture was passed to me by a distant cousin (many times removed). He advised that it was of Frederick Vanstone (my grandfathers brother) who had used horse drawn transport for deliveries from the railway and now with the first motorised truck for the LMS in Birmingham to be used for rail deliveries and that Fred was the first driver to use it. He is the man in the uniform. Can someone crop and rotate this, we cannot (my four year old and I) attach a cropped version

Bob
Great picture.
The load on the back is either from or going to 'Bellis and Morcom'

Ok Bob, all done.
Thanks a lot, it looks better, the four year old just told me in future we do any in JPEG not PDF and don't hold your breath but with a red letter day on 1st April, retirement after 68 years of work, I should be able to scan some of the Birmingham postcards I have and any not on here I will put on here, including for Lady P the Oscott College collection.. But again thanks for making it presentable. If only it was a postcard it would have a good value.

Bob

The view has the look of being a consignment from the Bellis & Morcam Works, which were on Ladywood. If it was going to their works, a different name might be expected to be on the case. So it could be one of their products for despatch by LMS railway.

The image would appear to be the weighbridge at Central Goods Station in Birmingham with the vehicle having driven in from the gate. Behind are buildings that include Curzon Hall.

Last edited:
'Secundus' is on loan to the Corfe Castle museum at the moment. The boiler cladding and lagging (probably asbestos) has been removed, possibly while still at Birmingham.

Attachments

• Secundus .jpg
    Secundus .jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5
The firm was Bellis & Seekings then

Secundus was the name given by Pike Brothers and was the second supplied by Bellis & Seekings for the 2ft 8in gauge tramway at Wareham near Poole and was used to carry Ball Clay. The locomotives were in use until 1954 when road transport was substituted. Primus the first Bellis & Seeking loco was converted to a stationary engine. Secundus survived and when Abelson scrapped the track etc, they brought Secundus back to Birmingham where it found a home at the Museum of Science and Industry.

These were two of the locomotives known to have been built and there was probably a 3rd, but the firm became Bellis & Morcam and became better known for stationary engines.

The firm was Bellis & Seekings then

Secundus was the name given by Pike Brothers and was the second supplied by Bellis & Seekings for the 2ft 8in gauge tramway at Wareham near Poole and was used to carry Ball Clay. The locomotives were in use until 1954 when road transport was substituted. Primus the first Bellis & Seeking loco was converted to a stationary engine. Secundus survived and when Abelson scrapped the track etc, they brought Secundus back to Birmingham where it found a home at the Museum of Science and Industry.

These were two of the locomotives known to have been built and there was probably a 3rd, but the firm became Bellis & Morcam and became better known for stationary engines.
Great info.

Thanks.

Back