• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lloyds Bank

How many pharmacies will sell you chemicals these days? Few I bet. My pharmacy will get me 1 kg packs of Magnesium Sulphate - i use it as a fertiliser - and I think it is around £7 a pack. But I remember when I was young that you could buy many chemicals there or sometimes at the drysalters.

Maurice :cool:

As an owner of several muzzle loaders myself I have fired most of them some time in the past, in the 1960's I applied for a black powder license and had a visit from a police officer. I can't remember exactly what he said but I think I would have to be a member of some club or another. Needless to say I didn't bother but simply used powder from fireworks.

Being able to buy fireworks all year round these days is a joke, one of my pistols could fire a lead ball and smash a brick to pieces and yet anyone can obtain all the means to fire a deadly weapon with evil intent.

Look at this one on the wall of my 'mancave' it's a 6ft long 19th century Arab musket that I have fired many times in the past, it's fishtail stock is made so you can fire one handed when galloping on a Camel!gun.jpg

As an owner of several muzzle loaders myself I have fired most of them some time in the past, in the 1960's I applied for a black powder license and had a visit from a police officer. I can't remember exactly what he said but I think I would have to be a member of some club or another. Needless to say I didn't bother but simply used powder from fireworks.

Being able to buy fireworks all year round these days is a joke, one of my pistols could fire a lead ball and smash a brick to pieces and yet anyone can obtain all the means to fire a deadly weapon with evil intent.

Look at this one on the wall of my 'mancave' it's a 6ft long 19th century Arab musket that I have fired many times in the past, it's fishtail stock is made so you can fire one handed when galloping on a Camel!

• If you’re going to use black powder you definitely need to get a licence from the local police. You should get in touch with the same people who handle your shotgun and firearms certificate applications.
  • You will have to show good reason for wanting to use black powder, but owning a gun proofed only for black powder will be sufficient

• If you’re going to use black powder you definitely need to get a licence from the local police. You should get in touch with the same people who handle your shotgun and firearms certificate applications.
  • You will have to show good reason for wanting to use black powder, but owning a gun proofed only for black powder will be sufficient
I don't have or need any licenses, the law does not require owners of antique flintlock and most kinds of percussion weapons to have any kind of permit, only antique weapons that take cartridges come under the recent 2020 change of rules due to criminals making their own now obsolete ammunition. Those guns are all 20th century and not 17/18/19th century as are mine.

I don't have or need any licenses, the law does not require owners of antique flintlock and most kinds of percussion weapons to have any kind of permit, only antique weapons that take cartridges come under the recent 2020 change of rules due to criminals making their own now obsolete ammunition. Those guns are all 20th century and not 17/18/19th century as are mine.
what would you use as a propellant.if you did want to fire them?
once you load and fire them they are no longer curiosities but firearms.

what would you use as a propellant.if you did want to fire them?
once you load and fire them they are no longer curiosities but firearms.
In the extremely unlikely event of me wanting to fire one again I would use powder from a firework. I could just as easily fix a piece of old gas pipe to a piece of wood and load it with powder & shot and thus have a makeshift gun with about the same level of accuracy. :eek:

Hi Viv,

Can you please identify the location of the Lloyds Colmore Row Head Office in the picture.

Kind regards
Dave

Fascinating thread. The Taylors of"Taylor & Lloyds Bank are a topic I am very interested in. It was John Taylor & his son John Taylor (junior) who as mentioned were co-founders with the Lloyd family of the bank.

John Taylor 1711-1775 was originally a cabinet maker who set up a factory in Union Street to make "Brummagen Toys". This is considered to be the first Birmingham factory as we know them. John Taylor went on to become one of Birmingham's leading industrialists and was seriously rich. As well as Bordesley Hall [where he lived] he owned Sheldon Hall, the Moseley Hall Estate and the Moor Green Estate. In total a land ownership of over 2000 acres. The family connection with the bank ended with the death of James Taylor in 1852.

The beehive sign was in use from 1822 but the Black Horse sign may have been even earlier possibly inherited from a bank taken over by Taylor & Lloyds. This illustration is taken
from Lloyds web site but without an explanation.
1630609950475.png

The Black Horse regardant (looking backwards) device dates from 1677 when Humphrey Stokes, who was a goldsmith & banker, adopted it for his shop. The business later became part of Barnett, Hoares & Co. Lloyds took over that bank in 1884 and traded 'At The Sign of the Black Horse'

Lovely copperplate writing on that note though Dave.
Has anyone seen the new TV advertisement for Lloyds Bank? Very obscure, but must have cost a fortune to make and show!!! Good to know they can still afford it.
they can afford it with the dosh they get off us for overdrafts and silly letters they send out,and charge a exorbinant fee for doing so

Back