• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lloyds Bank

Fascinating thread. The Taylors of"Taylor & Lloyds Bank are a topic I am very interested in. It was John Taylor & his son John Taylor (junior) who as mentioned were co-founders with the Lloyd family of the bank.

John Taylor 1711-1775 was originally a cabinet maker who set up a factory in Union Street to make "Brummagen Toys". This is considered to be the first Birmingham factory as we know them. John Taylor went on to become one of Birmingham's leading industrialists and was seriously rich. As well as Bordesley Hall [where he lived] he owned Sheldon Hall, the Moseley Hall Estate and the Moor Green Estate. In total a land ownership of over 2000 acres. The family connection with the bank ended with the death of James Taylor in 1852.

The beehive sign was in use from 1822 but the Black Horse sign may have been even earlier possibly inherited from a bank taken over by Taylor & Lloyds. This illustration is taken
from Lloyds web site but without an explanation.
1630609950475.png

The Black Horse regardant (looking backwards) device dates from 1677 when Humphrey Stokes, who was a goldsmith & banker, adopted it for his shop. The business later became part of Barnett, Hoares & Co. Lloyds took over that bank in 1884 and traded 'At The Sign of the Black Horse'

Lovely copperplate writing on that note though Dave.
Has anyone seen the new TV advertisement for Lloyds Bank? Very obscure, but must have cost a fortune to make and show!!! Good to know they can still afford it.
they can afford it with the dosh they get off us for overdrafts and silly letters they send out,and charge a exorbinant fee for doing so

Back