• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lloyds Bank

farmerdave

master brummie
Lloyds Bank began as Taylors and Lloyds in Birmingham in 1765. The Bank was established by Sampson Lloyd, a Quaker and iron founder, and John Taylor, a Unitarian and cabinet maker, along with their sons. For the first 100 years the bank operated with just one office in Birmingham. However, in the 1860s, Lloyds embarked on a period of rapid expansion and growth. Lloyds Bank are celebrating their 250th anniversary by publishing some commemorative postcards. The one below is for a £1 note issued in 1809. I don't think that it would be legal tender today. Dave.
P1020386.jpg

Charlie

knows nowt
Lovely copperplate writing on that note though Dave.
Has anyone seen the new TV advertisement for Lloyds Bank? Very obscure, but must have cost a fortune to make and show!!! Good to know they can still afford it.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Presumably this was once a pub on Moseley Road. Lovely beehive carving on two walls. (So was it called the Beehive ?). Viv,

175FCEE3-DEB8-45C2-9E06-53EA3A869638.jpeg

pjmburns

master brummie
Presumably this was once a pub on Moseley Road. Lovely beehive carving on two walls. (So was it called the Beehive ?). Viv,
In the 1905 Kelly's 320 Moseley Road was a branch of Lloyds Bank. It was still that in 1940.
In 1899 it was a provision dealers. It appears as Lloyds Bank in 1955 phone book.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Janice. So it was never a pub. The architecture doesn’t look much like a pub. Below explains the origin of the Lloyd Bank beehive. Don’t recall ever seeing these on their bank buildings anywhere else. Viv.

97CC72B8-7F64-4C31-AF5C-7D039E0391BF.jpeg
FBE72114-3B41-4298-B7D8-E0C3D946BCB2.jpeg

pjmburns

master brummie
Viv - The building looks like several other "corner" banks in the area but, like you, I don't remember seeing a beehive before.

DavidGrain

master brummie

View attachment 127457

Viv, This could have been a branch of Lloyds Bank as the Beehive was the trade mark of the bank long before the Black Horse. I know that there are several buildings in Birmingham with the Lloyds Bank beehive as, after all, Lloyds was a Birmingham bank.

This taken from the Lloyds Banking Group website
1822.jpg

1822 LLOYDS
HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND THE BEEHIVE
The original symbol of Lloyds Bank was a beehive. It was introduced in 1822, following a highway robbery in which £4,002 of Taylors & Lloyds’ banknotes were stolen.

The notes were taken from a mail coach, en route from London to Birmingham. Their loss prompted the partners to make their banknotes more distinctive, so that they would be more easily recognised. The symbol of the beehive was chosen, for its connotations of thrift and industry. From that point on, it appeared on banknotes, furniture and stationery.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
viv i am sure i have seen a lloyds bank beehive somewhere else some years back...will have a think

lyn

Radiorails

master brummie
I expect this has been posted before but a reminder that both Lloyds (Taylor & Lloyds) 1765 and Midland Bank (1836) originated in the city. The Birmingham Municipal Bank (became part of the former TSB I believe) also had roots there.
Those with memories of trams will recall the sliding doors screening driver from passengers that had a large advert, with a key design on the glass, that promoted the Birmingham Municipal Bank. I guess the most famous former Municipal branch, still not demolished, is that grand building (dwarfed by its surroundings) in Broad Street.

Radiorails

master brummie
Looking at Dale End, it seems to consist of modern buildings. so I assume that the building in post 10 went some while ago.

devonjim

master brummie
In 1960's used to often visit Taylor Rd in Kings Heath totally unaware of the connection with Lloyds bank.

Dave89

master brummie
Hi Viv,

Can you please identify the location of the Lloyds Colmore Row Head Office in the picture.

Kind regards
Dave

superdad3

master brummie
Fascinating thread. The Taylors of"Taylor & Lloyds Bank are a topic I am very interested in. It was John Taylor & his son John Taylor (junior) who as mentioned were co-founders with the Lloyd family of the bank.

John Taylor 1711-1775 was originally a cabinet maker who set up a factory in Union Street to make "Brummagen Toys". This is considered to be the first Birmingham factory as we know them. John Taylor went on to become one of Birmingham's leading industrialists and was seriously rich. As well as Bordesley Hall [where he lived] he owned Sheldon Hall, the Moseley Hall Estate and the Moor Green Estate. In total a land ownership of over 2000 acres. The family connection with the bank ended with the death of James Taylor in 1852.

The beehive sign was in use from 1822 but the Black Horse sign may have been even earlier possibly inherited from a bank taken over by Taylor & Lloyds. This illustration is taken
from Lloyds web site but without an explanation.
1630609950475.png

DaveHaw

proper brummie kid
The Black Horse regardant (looking backwards) device dates from 1677 when Humphrey Stokes, who was a goldsmith & banker, adopted it for his shop. The business later became part of Barnett, Hoares & Co. Lloyds took over that bank in 1884 and traded 'At The Sign of the Black Horse'

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Lovely copperplate writing on that note though Dave.
Has anyone seen the new TV advertisement for Lloyds Bank? Very obscure, but must have cost a fortune to make and show!!! Good to know they can still afford it.
they can afford it with the dosh they get off us for overdrafts and silly letters they send out,and charge a exorbinant fee for doing so