• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lloyds Bank

farmerdave

master brummie
Lloyds Bank began as Taylors and Lloyds in Birmingham in 1765. The Bank was established by Sampson Lloyd, a Quaker and iron founder, and John Taylor, a Unitarian and cabinet maker, along with their sons. For the first 100 years the bank operated with just one office in Birmingham. However, in the 1860s, Lloyds embarked on a period of rapid expansion and growth. Lloyds Bank are celebrating their 250th anniversary by publishing some commemorative postcards. The one below is for a £1 note issued in 1809. I don't think that it would be legal tender today. Dave.
P1020386.jpg

Lovely copperplate writing on that note though Dave.
Has anyone seen the new TV advertisement for Lloyds Bank? Very obscure, but must have cost a fortune to make and show!!! Good to know they can still afford it.

Presumably this was once a pub on Moseley Road. Lovely beehive carving on two walls. (So was it called the Beehive ?). Viv,

175FCEE3-DEB8-45C2-9E06-53EA3A869638.jpeg

Presumably this was once a pub on Moseley Road. Lovely beehive carving on two walls. (So was it called the Beehive ?). Viv,
In the 1905 Kelly's 320 Moseley Road was a branch of Lloyds Bank. It was still that in 1940.
In 1899 it was a provision dealers. It appears as Lloyds Bank in 1955 phone book.

Thanks Janice. So it was never a pub. The architecture doesn’t look much like a pub. Below explains the origin of the Lloyd Bank beehive. Don’t recall ever seeing these on their bank buildings anywhere else. Viv.

97CC72B8-7F64-4C31-AF5C-7D039E0391BF.jpeg
FBE72114-3B41-4298-B7D8-E0C3D946BCB2.jpeg

Viv - The building looks like several other "corner" banks in the area but, like you, I don't remember seeing a beehive before.

View attachment 127457

Viv, This could have been a branch of Lloyds Bank as the Beehive was the trade mark of the bank long before the Black Horse. I know that there are several buildings in Birmingham with the Lloyds Bank beehive as, after all, Lloyds was a Birmingham bank.

This taken from the Lloyds Banking Group website
1822.jpg

1822 LLOYDS
HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND THE BEEHIVE
The original symbol of Lloyds Bank was a beehive. It was introduced in 1822, following a highway robbery in which £4,002 of Taylors & Lloyds’ banknotes were stolen.

The notes were taken from a mail coach, en route from London to Birmingham. Their loss prompted the partners to make their banknotes more distinctive, so that they would be more easily recognised. The symbol of the beehive was chosen, for its connotations of thrift and industry. From that point on, it appeared on banknotes, furniture and stationery.

viv i am sure i have seen a lloyds bank beehive somewhere else some years back...will have a think

lyn

I expect this has been posted before but a reminder that both Lloyds (Taylor & Lloyds) 1765 and Midland Bank (1836) originated in the city. The Birmingham Municipal Bank (became part of the former TSB I believe) also had roots there.
Those with memories of trams will recall the sliding doors screening driver from passengers that had a large advert, with a key design on the glass, that promoted the Birmingham Municipal Bank. I guess the most famous former Municipal branch, still not demolished, is that grand building (dwarfed by its surroundings) in Broad Street.

Looking at Dale End, it seems to consist of modern buildings. so I assume that the building in post 10 went some while ago.

In 1960's used to often visit Taylor Rd in Kings Heath totally unaware of the connection with Lloyds bank.

These 4 historic guns ? Are they still at the Rotunda Branch (is it still a Branch) ? Or passed on somewhere else ? Viv

83F910B0-1E94-456E-B729-CA0E1842B0F2.jpeg

No, Lloyds are not in the Rotunda now, the main branch in the City Centre is on the corner of New Street and Corporation Street (address is called Caxton Gate).
I don't know if anyone there would have any idea what happened to them?
Not sure if it would be allowed to display firearms in a bank now!

Thanks ASparks, yes it does seem odd even by old standards. Like asking for trouble ! Maybe it was a temporary display at the Rotunda. Viv.

Hi

I remember the Brown Besses at the Rotunda. They were in very fine condition
and behind the security desk at the entrance. You didn't then or indeed now
need a firearms certificate to own a vintage muzzle loader, although I understand
you do need one to shoot it. I believe you do need a certificate to own a reproduction
muzzle loader, - I've never seen the logic in that!

I don't suppose they would display them now, but similarly does anyone remember
Webley and Scott's display of dummy shotguns in a glass case at the entrance to
Snow Hill Station. I doubt they would stay there for long now!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

I remember the Brown Besses at the Rotunda. They were in very fine condition
and behind the security desk at the entrance. You didn't then or indeed now
need a firearms certificate to own a vintage muzzle loader, although I understand
you do need one to shoot it. I believe you do need a certificate to own a reproduction
muzzle loader, - I've never seen the logic in that!

I don't suppose they would display them now, but similarly does anyone remember
Webley and Scott's display of dummy shotguns in a glass case at the entrance to
Snow Hill Station. I doubt they would stay there for long now!

Kind regards
Dave
i remember the w&s. correct, but now the law as changed for the better.
Depending on whether the ammunition is 'readily available' will depend if it is an antique weapon therefore no license required, as soon as you own / shoot / assemble / think about using it you will need to put it on a firearms certificate / shotgun cert depending on smooth / rifled etc

Most antique firearms are exempt from the firearms act in terms of a licence not being required if it's an ornament etc but you would need a licence to store black powder as it is an explosive and cannot be bought and sold without certification

010/2019: Firearms Regulations 2019 and the Firearms ...

Back