• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lloyd Street - Small Heath

Solihull54

master brummie
This photograph shows Cyril Road in Small Heath during 1906. The photograph is taken from the northern end of the street, the photographer would have been stood close to the bank on the corner of Coventry Road. I think the building on the corner is still trading as a bank - well, it was up until recently.
The chimney in the distance may be on the other side of the railway in Montgomery Street.
I have placed a 'modern' inset so you can compare the road from Edwardian times to the 21st century. Personally, I think parked cars are a blot on the landscape.
The large house to the right was occupied by the pawnbroker Louise Adelaide Jephcott. She succeeded her mother Elizabeth as the head of the business. Her mother was originally from Leyland to the south of Preston in Lancashire. The family had premises in Bromsgrove Street which, in the 19th century, was operated by her husband William who was a watchmaker and pawnbroker.
Also living on that side of the road at this time was the Lincolnshire-born tailor Levi Green and William Turner, a watch and clock repairer.

View attachment 141868

I'm trying to track down where 24 Lloyd Street Small Heath was. My great grandfather lived there in about 1906 and I'm trying to track details through the census from 1891, 1901, and 1911 and locations known to the family. Anything g nowhere to look at old maps etc much help.

here is a st view of lloyd st...although most of the houses on the left are the old houses the ones on the right where your gt grandad lived at no 24 were demolished and new houses built.

I have moved this post to a new thread of its own. The map c 1951 below shows position of no 24 in red

View attachment 145673
Thanks to those who replied with an area map and photos from around 1906. I checked back through the 1901 census and found that my great grandad and his family lived there so 7 of them it must have been very tight in a 2up 2 down terrace. My grandad moved to Moseley at some point between 1901 and 1911 as he was resident at 63 Church Road there in 1911 with same number in family. Census 1901 attached.

Attachments

• Census 1901_RA Dry_24 Lloyd Street, Small Heath, Warwickshire.jpg
    Census 1901_RA Dry_24 Lloyd Street, Small Heath, Warwickshire.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 10
Back