• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Llewellyn Ryland, Haden St., Balsall Heath

superdad3

master brummie
For a few months I have been driving down Moseley Road to Highgate and have been intrigued by the tall, obviously old, chimney stack towering over Haden Street. I made a detour today to see what it was. It's sited in the middle of the factory complex of Llewellyn Ryland Ltd. which is a very old Birmingham company. It originally made varnishes but now manufactures surface coatings of all kinds and is a highly successful enterprise. It's such a big factory I imagine there are [ex]employees on the forum

The factory frontage in Haden Street dates back to to the early 1900s and is little altered. Company directors still include "Rylands" and "Llewellyns". I've included some photos. The first one is an old advert dated 1918 as is the second one. The third is of the old frontage of the factory in Haden Street and is copied from William Dargue's brilliant site. The last one is from Google Satellite.

Attachments

• Finishes-Rylard-1918-11046.jpg
    Finishes-Rylard-1918-11046.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Finishes-Rylard-1918-11048.jpg
    Finishes-Rylard-1918-11048.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 17
  • lr 05.png
    lr 05.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • chimney.png
    chimney.png
    1 MB · Views: 16
We have some information on the family at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/my-family-tree-surprise.31681/page-3.

Some trade catalogues at the National museum of American history (American ??) list the following as including their products:
marine finishes and enamels ; "Rylard" yacht and boat varnish ; "Ardak" synthetic finish for steel structures ; "Ogloso" white enamel ; "Rhelglos" hard gloss paint ; "Power's Original Terebine" liquid dryer (invented in 1863) ; "Olasto" heat resisting enamel, also for use on hospital furniture ; aircraft finishes ; "Velvard" wall finish ; "Duralac" jointing compound.
I wonder whether the "advert for use in aircraft in the last post refers to a similar "dope" that is mentioned in the recent balloon thread as causing the deathe of Mr Rolfe

The firm existed from at least 1898, and at Haden Street from at least 1904.

They appear in the Aeroplane Directory of Aviation and Allied Industries in 1937. Around that time they also had an office in London.

John William Ryland (1856-1928) Rowington, Shakespeare Hall.

Fire at Haden St in 1940, Firemen prevented the spread of flames to highly inflammable material in adjoining parts of the building.

Would think it more than likely, Mike.
"Dope" was usually based on Amyl Acetate which was still widely used until recently. Main [or only?] constituent in cellulose thinners and used for nail varnish removal. Was used for cleaning book covers in Birmingham Libraries some years ago until banned by Health & Safety Officer. Safety info as follows:

* Exposure to high concentrations of n-Amyl Acetate can cause headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness and even unconsciousness. * Prolonged or repeated skin contact can cause irritation, dryness and cracking. * n-Amyl Acetate may damage the liver. * n-Amyl Acetate is a FLAMMABLE LIQUID and a FIRE HAZARD.

Thank goodness for the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.

According to Ray Shill ("Birmingham Workshop of the world), the firm originally was a brass and Brittania Ware manufacturers and started in the lacquer business by buying the lacquer business of William Lambley in Caroline St, and established themselves as varnish makers, at the back of 31 Newhall St, This must have been in the early 1840s as the 1845 directory list them as :
Llewellyn & Ryland, Britannia metal wares, spoons, brass nails, file & lacquer manufacturers,wares, 1 & 2 A B row & 8 Great Brook st, whereas the 1841 listing is the same, but missing out the varnish makers
They moved shortly before 1900 to Bakerville place , which had been part of the Winfield Bedstead factory. However they had previously, around 1863, taken over the John Player works in Haden St and had built a paint factory nearby, which they used to manufacrure titanium oxide paints under the name of The Titanic Paint Co.. Later all work was transferred to the Haden St works.

Last edited:
Messrs Llewellyn and Ryland exists at least from 1825, at A B House, Prospect Row.
(August 1825, Aris’s Birmingham Gazette.)

CAF8A9F8-C9F1-48D1-BFA7-CD0933514BB8.jpeg

hello,
I join your forum because i need to locate a stone jar from Birmingham.
I like to play detective ...any idea if there's a link with this old varnish company ???
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 20211002_180341.jpg
    20211002_180341.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 9
hello,
I join your forum because i need to locate a stone jar from Birmingham.
I like to play detective ...any idea if there's a link with this old varnish company ???
Thanks for your help
Hello Chris, welcome to the Forum! With great people and information, enjoy.

Regarding your stone jar, while I can’t help I might suggest you send your photo to the company as they are still active it seems. You might try the marketing or sales department .

Good luck!

hi all. While carrying out a large decorating contract at Davenports Brewery Bath Row we were supplied with Ryland undercoat and gloss which turned out to be no good for the job in hand l complained to my boss and he said l will see what Rylands have to say. Next day much to my surprise he turned up with one of the Directors of Rylands and l told him the problems we were having which he agreed with. The very next day a new batch arrived named Barry's Paint ( my name) which was perfect for the job so l can say they knew how to look after their customers , this would have been in the 1960s.
Regards acklam19

Back