• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lives Of The First World War - Remember Your Relative

I will be posting the list made up by John K. Colin for John Houghton's Aston site. It contains the names of most of the soldiers from the Aston and District area who gave their lives in WW1. John worked extensively on this from scratch and did a marvellous job. I hope to post it on the Birmingham History Forum facebook page if I can convert the file. I will have to post this list of almost 700 names in sections as it won't copy in all at once.
Thank you for your hard work Jennyann. If we know of a soldier from Aston who is not on the list, is it possible for him to be added? I can supply details of my grandfather who lived at 19, Whitehouse Street, Aston. Thanks, Dave

My great uncle John Bertram Barr was killed October 20th 1917 in Belgium he was a driver for RGA -52894....he was'nt on the list ......Brenda

Hi Dave: I can forward the details to John Colin and I am sure he will add your great Uncle to the list. Also, Brenda you can send the info. My Uncle isn't on the list. It was difficult for John to find everyone and I am amazed at how many names he managed to find.

Hi Jennyann..lovely to see the roll of honour,well done all involved made me feel very proud and thankful to the people that took the time and hard work to do it,my Grandad is named on there George Henry Wilson of Victoria Place...is it at all possible to have his Brother my Great Uncle added please whenever possible,his details are....Lance Corporal William Wilson RAMC date of death 6/8/1917 age 32 from 84,Clarendon Street,Aston B6 Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetary Belgium.Thank you for any consideration and reply. Sheila(tootz2)

Hi Dave: I can forward the details to John Colin and I am sure he will add your great Uncle to the list. Also, Brenda you can send the info. My Uncle isn't on the list. It was difficult for John to find everyone and I am amazed at how many names he managed to find.
Thanks Jennyann. My grandfather was William Farmer (service number 4655) who lived at 19, Whitehouse Street, Aston. He served with the 2nd battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps and was killed in action on 27th April 1916 near Arras. He was 33 years old. Thanks. Dave

Hi farmerdave
Just read your thread on your relief by coincicidence my uncle whom was my fathers brother also lived in white house street he was a.so killed in the war
I am told his name is on the gates at the Somme I believe he was in the same regiment
He lived in the back house at the half way of white house street I cannot recall the number of the street but they lived behind the
Lloyd's. Family whom lived on the front of white house street afew. Doors from. Chinns parents
My uncles name was Albert stevens got the telegram killed in action. Best wishes astonian,,,,,,

Jennyann, its nice to know my uncle was'nt the only soldier left off the list , i had contacted John quite a time ago.but will do a follow up....my uncle John Bertram Barr is also listed on the WW1 memorial plaque at Aston Church,

Thank you for all the kind words you have all wrote......I am myself disappoint in the finish result because I was unable to name every man and boy from the Aston area who gave their lives for us all, I am also disappointed that I didn't included those Brummies who also gave up their lives, I did this research between 2002 and 2006 before the 1911 census came on line, therefore I would expect some errors on the addresses which are stated, at that time it was the only detail I could find, I did put 6 months to one side to research this list in 2002, thinking it would only take me that long, 4 years later I was able to finish my research, The list was once or maybe still is on the forum somewhere, I am unable to add names to it on here, but maybe one of the moderators could do so.....I also would like to see names from other parts of the city added ......best wishes and thank you John

Thank you for all the kind words you have all wrote......I am myself disappoint in the finish result because I was unable to name every man and boy from the Aston area who gave their lives for us all, I am also disappointed that I didn't included those Brummies who also gave up their lives, I did this research between 2002 and 2006 before the 1911 census came on line, therefore I would expect some errors on the addresses which are stated, at that time it was the only detail I could find, I did put 6 months to one side to research this list in 2002, thinking it would only take me that long, 4 years later I was able to finish my research, The list was once or maybe still is on the forum somewhere, I am unable to add names to it on here, but maybe one of the moderators could do so.....I also would like to see names from other parts of the city added ......best wishes and thank you John

thats a great list you have compiled john..thank you...my rellie harry froggett is not on it but including him i noticed that there were 6 men who were killed who lived in paddington st and that was not a large st..

John... you have no reason to be disappointed to be honest I really didnt think of how enormous the task would be to compile such a list..you did a marvelous job!To be honest you have my Grandfather on the list,I knew his Brother had died in WW1 but had little knowledge of him myself...it took me quite a while to get info on him ...Well Done I love what you did,take care Sheila (tootz2)

I've been working on the 'Lives' site now for a few months and was last week contacted by a Sunday Telegraph journalist to discuss my experience of using the site and for my opinion of it. I think it's a fantastic memorial to all men and women and eagerly sing its praises whenever the opportunity comes up. The journalist has included my gt uncle Joseph Ridgway (RFC) in the article. So today is a very, very proud day for me. Here's the article (or see pg 13 of the 'Life' Supplement in the Sunday Telegraph). And of course I highly recommend anyone to use the IWM 'Lives of WW1' site to ensure the permanent memory of these people. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1414334949.628086.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Below is a link to the records for our Erdington postmen which I've now built up on the IWM 'Lives of WW1' site (unfortunately Pte Sharp's records aren't available). They're not all fully complete yet but I'll be working on these as time permits. Other people can also add info if they wish, just register then search for the soldier's name (any problems let me know). And do let me know if you spot any errors. The "Lives" link at the bottom takes a while to load, but will eventually! Thanks.

I've included the story of the plaque's journey from demolition site to National Memorial Arboretum via B H F. And I've included links to the BHF threads dealing with the background and research on here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43387 Postal workers plaque saved

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/71

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viv thats is just wonderful and i can see why you are so proud....well done you...

lyn x

Dear Astoness

I have been following this thread. I have created a facebook site to honour our fallen from WW1. This site is a day by day account of what happened 100 years to the day.

With the use of John K Colin's database and my own hopefully I will cover all our fallen the site has already honoured over 60 soldiers I have left a link if viewers who may wish to have a look and like it for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asto...To-The-First-World-War/488230721320727?ref=hl

Regards

Mick

Hi all,
I've just registered with your site and I'm catching up on threads. Just to add to Mick's post above, as he is honouring the soldiers on their 100th anniversary I am adding them to a community on IWM's 'lives' :- https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1489 and I'm enhancing their life stories as much as I can.
If anyone has any information on the men please add it to their life story pages or just click to remember them.
Thanks, Sharon

Great Uncle Joseph.jpgWhat a fantastic photo, my husband's Gt Uncle Joseph Watton who was in the Australian army in the 1st World War!

Hello all

I am a frequent traveller to the battlefields of the Somme and on many occasions have taken photographs of grave and cemeteries for people on request. I am back on the Somme late September and if I can assist any of you out there by taking a photograph to help remember your relative I will see what I can do for you. I have a busy schedule so there are no guarantees but there is no charge and I will try to fit it in. Send me a private message.

Steve R

The contents of posts #6 to #15 became mixed-up showing format codes when the forum changed software. The list has been made readable in a pdf file see the link below. The pdf will display in most browsers and can be searched. Post#16 stated that some information in post#13 did not show, mainly addresses. Post#5 has information about the original source of the information.
Contents of posts 6 to 15 pdf

Last edited:
My Grandfather, William Joseph Parsons. enlisted in The Coldstream Guards on 22nd January 1900 when he was 21 years and 8 months old. He saw service in South Africa in 1902 and then at home(UK) until joining the Expeditiary Forces Overseas in 1914.

In 1917 he was declared unfit for further service due to "Shell Shock. He returned home and had two more children, my Mother in 1918 & my Uncle in 1921.

In 1923 he was committed to Lodge Road Mental Hospital still suffering from his war experiences. From there he was transferred to a Hospital in Huddersfield and finally to The Old Manor, Psychiatric Hospital, Salisbury, where he died on 11th May 1947.

My Mother never spoke of him and I didn't know anything about him until I start to research my family history in the 1990's. My cousin & me visited Salisbury cemetery a few years ago but we only saw the area where he was buried as his grave is unmarked.

That's terribly sad Gunmaker. And a horrible consequence of the war. The saddest thing is he probably barely got to know his family. Thanks for posting. Vv.

Back