• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Livery street>

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
A face as long as this ?. :-\

Attachments

• City Livery St Snow Hill.jpg
    City Livery St Snow Hill.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
the building on the left was Dunlops Birmingham central office and wharehouse i used to clean the windows there in the sixties it was hard trying to get a tyre into a buckey LOL only joking

:angel: When I worked at A.D.Hayes in Caroline St. I would get the 14 or the 43 bus (which ever came along Gt Lister St first) to the Old Square, walk around to Colmore Row and was supposed to walk down Livery St going to work and up again after work (So my Mom said). But after doing that the first time I was scared, it was such a dark dull place to walk on your own at 15 yrs old, that I would walk down and up Constitution Hill instead (that street was sure named well too, after a full days work).

Chris :angel:

Jim,
many thanks for all the photo's of
Dear old Brum that you post on the website,
I'm sure a lot of folk enjoy them,bring back memories O0

RE: Livery street

I liked the photo it reminded me that I worked at the Antler suitcase factory at the bottom of Livery st in 1963 I had the wonderful job of ironing bubblys out of suit cases. Just before they moved to Manchester I think, my brother in law worked for them for many years he was chief mechanic on the lorries. Thigs have certainly changed since those days of innocence. ;D

No wonder the expression 'a face as long as Livery Street' came about !*‚** I remember in the very early sixties on a Sunday afternoon I would get on my scooter and go all the way from our house in William Street, Lozells to Snow Hill Station to watch the steam engines.*‚** Livery Street was great because from the top at Cannings I could freewheel all the way down as far as Gt Charles Street.*‚** I'd be about 8 when the attached pic was taken.*‚** What simple pleasures we had then, very few obese children due to inactivity like we have now

unable to replace personal photos.

Attachments

• City Livery Street.jpg
    City Livery Street.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
John Houghton said:
the building on the left was Dunlops Birmingham central office and wharehouse i used to clean the windows there in the sixties it was hard trying to get a tyre into a buckey LOL only joking

Nice one John O0

You have'nt changed much have you sill :2funny: Nice Photo all the same 8)

Copper and Asbestos have a factory in Northgate Aldridge they have been in Aldridge from the 1950's

I worked next to Copper Asbestos for 14 years as a motor mechanic (Reginald Tildesley) we used to get our gaskets for our engine rebuilds as the Ford gaskets were rubbish we did them favours and they did likewise their cylinder head gaskets were solid copper and they fitted like a glove and never leaked some of the engines I built were for sports cars and the hot rods at Hednesford race way (good old days)

Back