• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Liver 'n Onions

dirtyden

Black Country Boy
I never get to eat this these day 'cos my kids all turn their noses up at it if I suggest it !
It was one of my childhood favourites. Liver, onions, mashed potatoes and peas, swimming in gravy !
Luvverly !
:p

Lovely Grub

Liver & Onions
Still have it at least twice a month and two my four lads think its great.
They are age 21 & 16.
:mrgreen:
Not done them any harm :D

Yumm! My dad used to get "lambs fry" and soak it in salt water, slice it across-wise, flour it and pan fry it. It was so yummy I used to take the leftovers home to eat cold! I myself make lovely chicken liver dishes. But when I went to buy some chicken livers after returning to Tasmania the girl at the supermarket deli asked me if they were for my dog! Heavens, I said, what's wrong with them? They're for us! I clean the chicken livers, and cook them with onions, potatoes, carrot, green peppers or whatever in olive oil in a cast iron pan. I probably parboil the vegies first and them fry them slowly with some tomato paste and Italian herbs. Serve with crusty bread. Think I'll buy some tomorrow - I feel a chicken liver dish coming on :)

Liver is good for you

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm coming round K8. Liver is one of my favourite dishes.............whether fried or casseroled............I particularly like liver bacon and onions with mashed potatoes and marrowfat peas.........I soak my liver in milk..............it makes it taste 'smoother'.....for want of a better word

Tasty Tazzie

:) Ooooh Katie oxo :) That Dish you cook sounds Delicious, Mmmmh :D

Heh Chuckie don,t envy the "Kardomah" coffee set,,the food was,,Uuurgh
Most of Us would swop it for Your Launceston Resteraunt, But more for your Cooking :roll:

Now get back in that Kitchen,,, Gal,, :wink: JY

:D Keep going like this Kate and I'll be popping over for some of you lovely grub and as I've said before to visit again that great Island of your's Tassie. 8)

I guess my cooking has been very much influenced by my years living in Melbourne. Italian, Greek, and later Asian restaurants offered wonderful dishes for us to sample and think - hey - I could cook that! Greek Salad is one of our favourites - mixed lettuce leaves, sundried tomatoes, fetta cheese, black olives (without pips), avocado, green capsicum, torn fresh basil leaves, and a dressing of virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Enjoy!

If you want to visit I will make you this salad and some bbq chicken/fish/beef :)

Now yer talkin', Kate. I'd go for that Greek salad. In fact, I'd go for anything with olives in it - can never have enough of 'em! :p

Please invite Brian next time you are cooking liver and onions, he would die for some. I just can't bear the smell :cry:

Greek salad - now I can eat that by the sackload. In a rush the other day, I nipped into Waitrose and bought myself a Greek salad sarni, beautiful............ Wished I'd bought two. :D

Liver is one of my favourite dishes, but it's not properly understood today. Most important is that it can only be cooked very lightly - I suggesting frying after you have softened some onions and fird some bacon to get the brine out. Cut the liver into fairly small pieces, coat with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and mustard and fry GENTLY. I think you should take it off the heat just before all the red blood has oozed out from the top. If you cook it any longer or casserole it I think it gets rather tough, like old boots.
Other countries still do very nice liver. Italian restaurants in London offer FEGATO, which I have once had with sultanas [Gosh!], but always very tasty. The last liver I had was a fortnight ago in Halle in former East Germany, cooked by a good chef with a superb balance of vegetables, herbs and spices [not to mention the obscene quantity] for about £4.50.
Second to liver for me is FAGGOTS - but not tonite thank you.
Peter

I remember dipping a slice of bread in the fired onions mmmmmmmmmm wonderfull!!!!

Back