• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Littlewoods, New Street, City Centre.

sylviasayers

master brummie
Does anyone remember a Littlewoods Store in New Street in the 1950s? It was near the corner with Stephenson Street. I was just nodding off last night when I suddenly recalled working there for a few months as a "Saturday Girl!" being paid about l0 shillings or perhaps even 12/6d for the day. I was on the cooked meats counter and think this may have been in the basement. It was really hard work - non stop.

Colonnade passage , city,
Named after the colonnade hotel, which later became. The chamber of commerce,
Colonnade passage went between, the hotel and the theatre royal at the top end. Of new street and into Stephenson street
It was demolished in 1961! Astonian Alan,

My Wife worked at Littlewoods in Erdington and in 1971 was sent to the city centre branch for a training on the new decimal currency, I believe that was in New St. Eric

Eric
In 1971 Littlewoods was next to union passage in High St (no 67-69). Up till 1967 they were also at 135 New St, which was close to Stephenson Place

When we visited town on a Saturday we always shopped downstairs in Littlewoods, the bacon counter always attracted me :). When I worked for a Coach company in Erdington we used to take the Littlewoods girls to the RAF camp at Gaydon, they always seemed to have a good time and getting them all back on the coach at home time was quite difficult.

Thanks for all your memories, I am glad I wasn't dreaming - the city centre has changed so much over the years (not for the better in my opinion) that sometimes you doubt yourself.

Hi Sylvia
Before the forum lost all it's pics when it was hacked in Oct 2011, I had copied and saved a lot of the pics on a usb drive and looking today I noticed the pic below which might be the Littlewoods you are looking for. The bus shelter looks like those I remember in New Street.
City New St Littlewoods.jpg

I remember my Mom in the late 40s early 50s had an savings account at Littlewoods. she use go there every week and make deposits. John Crump Parker. Co USA

Old Mohawk thank you for the photo of Littlewoods in New Street, yes that is where I had my Saturday job. Sorry for the delay in replying.

i used to work at walter belcher butchers which was at the back of littlewoods store, that was 1972.

Back