• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Little Sutton Churchyard

Hi Glenny's.

Little Aston Church is of Roman Road which is off the Walsall Rd A454.

It's St. Peters Church Little Aston and it's in a lovely area of Sutton Coldfield / Four Oaks very posh the houses in this area are million plus.

I don't know whether you thought it was near Aston Birmingham 6 it's between Sutton Coldfield Walsall & Lichfield if you Google it it's B74 3AT.

Hope that's of some use to you Ray

Hi Glennys
Are you sure this churchyard is in the Sutton Area as Little Aston Church is Little Aston and not Little Sutton, there is a Little Sutton Church in Cheshire. Just a thought to save you chasing the wrong link. As Ray says Little Aston is very posh, would be good to think you had ancestors in this part of the world!!!!! Anyway good luck with your search.

Hi all!
James I. Foden was a caretaker in the Sutton Coldfield park in the early 1900's and lived in the Streetly Lodge. He then lived in Chester Rd Streetly so it all ties in with St Peters church. (I was searching for a Little SUTTON as marked on his obituary card). I live abroad but hope one day to go along and get a photo! Thanks to you all for your wonderful help.

Little Sutton is in the general area around Little Sutton Road and Slade Road, maybe half a mile from Mere Green. There is a church on Grange Lane, off Little Sutton Road, but I don't know its denomination or even if its got a graveyard. Little Sutton is an area that I drive through very frequently, but know nothing about. There is also a Little Sutton Lane which runs from Mere Green Road to (almost) the centre of Sutton Coldfield. The area and properties are not quite up to Little Aston standards (!) but even so I can't afford to live there. Hope this helps, Glennys Jean.

Big Gee

How wonderful caretaker of Sutton Park would have been a very important job. I would imagine Streetly Lodge would have been on Streetly Gate entrance to the park you can get to St Peter's church by what is now a private road close to Streetly Gate.

Maybe u are right Big Gee, about it being another church. I have looked at James' marriage certificate (to first wife) - it took place in St James church Hill, which seems to be Little Sutton, not far from 4 Oaks. His only son was born in Little Sutton too ... will have to investigate further.

St James Church in Church Hill, Sutton Coldfield, is I think the parish church of Sutton Coldfield. But it is not in Little Suton.
However, St James Church is not far, distance-wise, from either Little Sutton or Four Oaks, and I believe it has a churchyard and graveyard. The church in Grange Lane, Little Sutton, which I referred to in my previous post, is a Baptist church as I've just found out, and also a relatively new building, and I would therefore doubt if it has a graveyard.

Big Gee

St James is the parish church in Mere Green it has quite a large graveyard with many memorials in tact. It stands a good chance the memorial will still be there. It's a lovely church I always thought it was a strange colour sort of dusky pink! It isn't Sutton Parish Church that is Holy Trinity on the top of the hill as you go down onto the Parade. Well done Big Gee I should have realised my cousin was married there and he lives off Little Sutton Lane.

I have been following this thread with interest (and confusion) so I am pleased to see that the church has now been identified. After reading your last post Wendy I had to see this 'pink' church so I had a look at their website - it is rather pink looking isn't it! There are some good pictures on the site:
https://stjameshill.org/index.htm

Glennys Jean - I hope you find your Gt Granddads grave.

Thanks for the link Pol it looks even more "pink" on that picture..lovely photo's of the graveyard as well.

I don't know why I got it confused with Holy Trinity, folks. Brain off. Next time I drive out to Tamworth I'll have a closer look at the general area of Mere Green and Little Sutton. My wife sometimes shops at Mere Green, but she'd never even heard of Little Sutton when I asked her. Goes to show, you can live in an area for years and years, and hardly know it. The only thing I usually notice about Mere Green these days is the number of closed-down shops, and the absence of the very attractive former Lucas factory, which was demolished recently.

All the best in your research, Glennys Jean.

Big Gee

Hi Glennys.

You not living in the area, I thought you might like this information.

Little Aston was mentioned in the 13th Century and is situated in Staffordshire and forms the border between Warwickshire & Staffordshire then described as the the area of "Colefield".

Little Sutton derives it's name fron the Roman Road, Ryknield Street which crosses Sutton Park and emerges by the former Streetly Railway Station.

St Peter's Church little Aston was consecrated in 1874, the architect was George Edward Street and was built on land donated by Edward Parker Jervis at his own expense.

Roman road is a private road when approach from the Streetly side and did have a lodge with gates across, there's a number of very expensive private own residents, which used to have a select management control over who was allowed to buy any property that became vacant.

The orginal Little Aston Hall was built in 1730, it has been restyled several times by subsequent owners the building has been encased in Hollington Stone from Uttoxeter and two wings added.

Owners have been William Tennant,Edward Parker Jervis ( paid £35.000 in 1857 ) and Harry Scribbans who bought it in1928.

The hall has since been bought and converted into apartments and Little Aston Private Hospital.

As you can see this whole area is a very large and very expensive area, as I guess you thought from your orginal request might have be a part of Aston, Birmingham it couldn't be more different.

Ray

Ray, I hate to take issue with you, but Little Aston and Little Sutton are not the same place and not even adjacent to one another. Little Aston is to the northwest of Sutton Coldfield, west of the road to Lichfield (A5127) and Little Sutton is to the northeast of Sutton Coldfield, east of the A5127. Ryknield Street goes nowhere near Little Sutton. And how can 'Little Sutton' derive its name from 'Ryknield Street' anyway? Glennys specifically mentions Little Sutton, and I think the identity of the church she's interested in is now established. Anyway, I can't afford to live in either Little Aston or Little Sutton, so all academic...

Big Gee

streetly lodge.jpg

A picture of Streetly Lodge as it is now, not as it was in the early 1900's I suspect. I have actually been in this little house, somebody from our church in Streetly was a caretaker there is the late 1980's, cannot remember their names but they have passed on anyway. Do not know who lives there now as I cannot imagine Birmingham Council providing houses for caretakers of Sutton park in this day and age. Different when Sutton was Sutton!!!!!! Hope you solve your mystery via St. James in Mere Green, it does seem a possibility.

Katie

Visited St. James Church on the 12th Dec 2007, pics then sent down under, and to the CWGC project, pics from outside and inside the church in time

Attachments

• St.James  Church 015.jpg
    St.James Church 015.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 3
  • St.James  Church 016.jpg
    St.James Church 016.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 7
  • St.James Church, Hill 002.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 002.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 5
  • St.James Church, Hill 055.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 055.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 5
Next few all from the same date

Attachments

• St.James Church, Hill 004.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 004.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 4
  • St.James Church, Hill 005.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 005.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 3
  • St.James Church, Hill 008.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 008.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1
  • St.James Church, Hill 009.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 009.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 3
Few more from the outside

Attachments

• St.James Church, Hill 011.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 011.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 3
  • St.James Church, Hill 014.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 014.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 1
  • St.James Church, Hill 017.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 017.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2
Few pics inside, same date

Attachments

• St.James Church, Hill 026.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 026.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 5
  • St.James Church, Hill 027.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 027.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 5
  • St.James Church, Hill 028.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 028.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 4
  • St.James Church, Hill 030.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 030.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 4
Last of my pics from inside

Attachments

• St.James Church, Hill 037.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 037.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 2
  • St.James Church, Hill 038.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 038.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 2
  • St.James Church, Hill 039.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 039.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 3
  • St.James Church, Hill 040.jpg
    St.James Church, Hill 040.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 2
Lovely pics, Dave, and I should think Glennys's search is at an end. Another little mystery has also been solved, at least for me: the notice-board of the church says "St James Church, Hill", not "St James, Church Hill". I think this is because the area is, or was, known as Hill, something I'd long forgotten. Not all that far from Little Sutton.

This has been a very interesting thread all round. You can always learn something on this forum, that's for sure!

Big Gee

i live in slade lane, the church in grange lane as not got a church yard, little sutton is not far from roman road, there is little sutton hospital, in little sutton,

Apoligies Jean & Glenny's

I was completely wrong I read it as Little Aston, not Little Sutton.

I used to live in Dower Road till 6 years ago which is only a stones throw away from Mere Green, I've given Crime Prevention talks there, I only saw what I won't to.

It's strange how your mind focus's on what it won'ts, I thought that Glenny's was confused with Aston & Little Aston.

Sorry I'll stick to what I can see in Devon, it must have been the sun that we've had for last couple of days it's wonderful in the Conservatory looking over to the Saunton Sands Hotel.

Ray

Ray, I hate to take issue with you, but Little Aston and Little Sutton are not the same place and not even adjacent to one another. Little Aston is to the northwest of Sutton Coldfield, west of the road to Lichfield (A5127) and Little Sutton is to the northeast of Sutton Coldfield, east of the A5127. Ryknield Street goes nowhere near Little Sutton. And how can 'Little Sutton' derive its name from 'Ryknield Street' anyway? Glennys specifically mentions Little Sutton, and I think the identity of the church she's interested in is now established. Anyway, I can't afford to live in either Little Aston or Little Sutton, so all academic...

Big Gee

Ray,

don't worry about it, mate. Half the time I don't know what day it is.

Pamela,

according to my map, in between Little Sutton, i.e., Little Sutton Lane/Slade Lane area, and Ryknield Street is almost the entire expanse of Sutton Park. Now I'm confused!

Big Gee

This is a great thread certainly got the old grey matter going. The junior school in Mere Green was named Hill school if I remember right.

Back