• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Little Park Road, Hockley

prs777

proper brummie kid
I was born at Little Park Road, Hockley and would like to know more about the history of the Road, it's housing and how it has developed (flattened).

I lived in a back to back in the first run of houses towards the Lodge Road end, it backed on the Flat. These house were in a row and not a Court, so we had a tiny front garden with low walls dividing the 5 or 6 homes in the row. Thanks to help on this site I now know it was 3/45 Wellington Terrace with 4/45 being the brew-house building.

Our house was at the end of the row and next (over the top of) the "brew house", where each nominated day each home could use the boiler and mangle for washing. Once there was a fire in the brew house, requiring the fire brigade, and burnt right through the stairs in our house and we needed to use a rope for mom and dad to swing across the gapping hole down to the boiler room.

Adjacent to our row of back to back houses was a shop, like a general stores with a small entrance and counter.

I went to Ellen a street school in 1957 for 18 -24 months before moving to Kingshurst as part of the overspill and still remember the huge difference from city living to that of Yorks Wood and bluebell fields.

if you have stories or photos from this Road please share, especially an old map showing the position of the houses.

I still often visit the area and walk the streets I would have walked as a child.

hello prs777 i have never heard of little park road but imagine it must of been a part of park road hockley...if you go to the park road hockley thread i have just reposted some photos that we lost when the forum was hacked..if you let us know the address of where you lived mikejee one of our map experts maybe able to supply you with a map showing where your house was

all the best

lyn

Hi prs777.
I had a slight problem here. No directory or map seemed to show a liitle Park Road in Birmingham. I wondered if it was a local name for a part (lower part ?) of Park Road. If so then below is a map of the area. Am not sure which of these might be the row you describe. If you want a view of further up Park ~Road, then let me know. Can't think of any other place it might be.

map%20c%201955%20showing%20south%20east%20end%20of%20Park%20Road_zpsncyt9ubp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

prs777 Here is a photo of Yarnolds which is on the corner of the flat and Little Park Road. If you are on facebook there is one for Hockley which is very good.

23B_junction_lodge_rd_park_rd.jpg

Its at the very end of The Flat. You get Little Park Road, then Piddock Street and then continue up Lodge Road. Mike your map needs to come down a little lower, its almost opposite Ford Street

Snap. Just realised that it did not include the far southern end. Here is required map

map%20c1955%20showing%20Park%20road%20from%20icknield%20st%20to%20lodge%20road_zpsjhqzpqxk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hello prs777 i have never heard of little park road but imagine it must of been a part of park road hockley...if you go to the park road hockley thread i have just reposted some photos that we lost when the forum was hacked..if you let us know the address of where you lived mikejee one of our map experts maybe able to supply you with a map showing where your house was

all the best

lyn
thx lyn, it's called Park Road South now but don't know when it changed its name. I will take a look at your thread

Snap. Just realised that it did not include the far southern end. Here is required map

map%20c1955%20showing%20Park%20road%20from%20icknield%20st%20to%20lodge%20road_zpsjhqzpqxk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/QUOTE thank you I now see our house 4/45 (4 back of 45) Wellington Terrace. The PH on the corner of All Saints Road and Little Park Road was the The Welcome]

Little Park Rd was I believe the unofficial name, given by the locals, likewise the Flat was an unofficial name for the row of shops at the bottom of Lodge Rd. For prs777 heres a pic of the Welcome.

Attachments

• The Welcome Tavern piddock st hockley.jpg
    The Welcome Tavern piddock st hockley.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
Back