• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little king st hockley

Hi Mebmm1950 - Do you remember that the side entry on the left as you face the chapel led down to the rear halls? Great big wooden staircase went up - lovely echo! as you entered main hall, went right to stage you could go down a smaller staircase that led back down to vestry into the church behind the pulpits (for the choir, etc) church and/or back into the entry?

I always recall the right hand side entry was filled with rubble?
We met there every Friday for Life Boys (junior Boys Brigade) - My elder Brothers were in the 1stA B.B. - We were 79th Life Boys. We got bulldozed out in April '66, just before I would have 'gone up' into the B.B. and left the area just before the new chapel was built. We also had Sunday school there every sunday morning.
All our house had sah windows upstairs - you take them out, put a blanket over the sill, and lower the wardrobes, and beds on ropes to the removal van below!

You can't do that now with double glazing! You are stuck with fiddling around stairs that cannot take large furniture!

time for a some new photos folks..i only know of keyhill brian (who has seen these) who lived in this street but i bet there are a few members on here who can remember it....hope they bring back memories for some of you...

pic 1 i think shows brians house..if he spots this thread he will hopefully confirm this..

lyn.

LITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 014.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 009.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 010.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 011.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 012.JPG

LITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 013.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 015.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 016.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 017.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 018.JPGnext few

pic 4 shows little king st to the right and st saviours church on the corner of bridge st west and villa st..

Last edited:
hi lyn
what great photos my husbands aunt and uncle lived in little king street and we walked up that street meny times
in our courting days great memories
josie
hope you dont mind if i print them off

thats great josie so pleased they bring back some memories for you and hubby...please feel free to print them off..always happy to share...

lyn

lyn i am looking for the photo of the little pawnshop that was in ford street was telling my daughter that was where her dad brought my engament ring from in 1963
she couldnt believe it ( well we was only young and couldnt afford a new one )
would love to show her the shop i am sure it was on the furum but cant find if you have photo would be great if you could put it on furum
with thanks josie

josie as far as i know there is only photo of ford st...could be wrong though..have you looked on the ford st thread

lyn

ps only recently found out i had rellies in that street..

Hi Lyn,
Your pics came out much better than the few I tried with my little digital!
Left hand view in Pic 1 is looking from Gt King St down towards Guest St. Bridge St West is at the back of the houses.
House 53 is the right hand one visible, counting down to 79 - we are just about visible in the pic by the where the shadow falls on the pavement!
Sadly no close up of our front door.
Right hand shot in pic 1 is 'our side' of the road, but at Guest St end.
Left hand pic in post 2 is the derelict factory opposite - great wall for all ball games!
2nd pic in post 3 is our neighbours house - the Morris family at 81 - just cut us out of the pic!

Great to see the street again - all gone now under grass

Brian

hi bri and thanks....its not easy is it taking pics of pics lol....thanks for confirming your house is just showing in pic1....its a great shame that for most of us our old streets and roads have long since gone but just to see the odd photos of the old end will always bring back memories for us....these will will always have

lyn

Some more great pics Lyn......I wonder what number bus that would have been on the last photo? #3

i wondered that topsy...im not sure which end of little king st that pic was taken...i bet brian will know the answer...

lyn

The bus is coming down Great King St from the direction of Great Hampton St towards the Lucas factory, not sure if it a Perry Common bus that will go up Wheeler St or a Lucas worker special - they used to have loads of 'em to bring 'em and tek 'em bak 'ome agin!

morning bri great minds think alike..i was just mulling over that bus and wondered if it could be a lucas special...

cheers bri

lyn

Morning Lyn,
I don't recall seeing Buses normally in Gt King St, I'm sure they went up Wheeler St direct.
They certainly didn't have school buses in my day - shank's pony.... but it was just round the corner!
I think A Lucas workers special - Smudge Smith did a nice pic of Lucas's with them all pouring out, and buses everywhere.
Bri

Morning Lyn,
I don't recall seeing Buses normally in Gt King St, I'm sure they went up Wheeler St direct.
They certainly didn't have school buses in my day - shank's pony.... but it was just round the corner!
I think A Lucas workers special - Smudge Smith did a nice pic of Lucas's with them all pouring out, and buses everywhere.
Bri

morning bri and yes i agree with you...certainly was not the no 8 and i think as you say the 69 ran straight up wheeler st so i would say it was a works bus...

ive seen that that pic of smudges showing the workers coming out...cant find it now though...

lyn

Back