• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Little Kenyon Street

Snowball

master brummie
I have seen a few posts on the site that refer to Kenyon Street but I am looking for a street called Little Kenyon Street, it was in connection with an infant death in 1817 and I was wondering if this Little Kenyon Street was the same place as Kenyon Street. The parish burial records mention a Church of Saint Paul. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Snowball.

I have seen a few posts on the site that refer to Kenyon Street but I am looking for a street called Little Kenyon Street, it was in connection with an infant death in 1817 and I was wondering if this Little Kenyon Street was the same place as Kenyon Street. The parish burial records mention a Church of Saint Paul. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Snowball.
Hello Snowball,
All I can tell you is that St Pauls Church is in Birmingham City Centre and is not far from Kenyon Street. It is quite likely that Mikegee can give you more information from his old maps when he is on line
Old Boy

I'm afraid I can find not mention of a little Kenyon St. However , if you look at the maps of 1796 and 1808 , between which times the streets around there changed somewhat, there is an unnamed st on the 1795 map which might have been called little kenyon st. as it butts onto kenyon st, but later apparently became part of Hall St. the relevant parts are marked in red on the two maps. sorry I cannot help further.

Attachments

• area around kenyon st 1808.jpg
    area around kenyon st 1808.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 12
  • map c 1795 showing area around kenyon st.jpg
    map c 1795 showing area around kenyon st.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 11
I'm afraid I can find not mention of a little Kenyon St. However , if you look at the maps of 1796 and 1808 , between which times the streets around there changed somewhat, there is an unnamed st on the 1795 map which might have been called little kenyon st. as it butts onto kenyon st, but later apparently became part of Hall St. the relevant parts are marked in red on the two maps. sorry I cannot help further.
Hello Snowball,
All I can tell you is that St Pauls Church is in Birmingham City Centre and is not far from Kenyon Street. It is quite likely that Mikegee can give you more information from his old maps when he is on line
Old Boy

Many thanks to both Old Boy and mikejee, the second of the maps you included Mike show just how close Kenyon or Little Kenyon street is to St. Pauls Chapel. It is most probable since the parish records include this church by name and the street that Little Kenyon and Kenyon are one and the same street. The death and burial all took place in 1817 and if a burial took place it would most probably have been in the cemetery attached to St. Pauls Chapel. Once again thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards, Snowball.

Hi Snowball
I know mike as shown you a map and as you rightly believe your self that keyon street
Is or was of the same street, well I am of the same way of mind, thinking yes
That is possible ,given the way these old registers by these people of our ancesters
Used to write and there spelling in ledgers
I knew Keyon street from way back as a kid and yes keyon street was a small Narrow street
From which ever way you enter it,but it was on the books as being around from early
1800,s meaning maps, which I have discovered but also there was some kind of church
In keyon street still standing thou not being used for centuries
And it was on the very bottom end of key on street even right up to the early fifties
It definitely was a chapel or church congregation
And it was almost facing keyon police station its self as I recall it even a st Georges church
Which was in the approximlt of the station and that was I think its where the bridge link
Could have been and keyon street police station came under a couple of areas
One was named st Paul's and another couple of names for its boundaries
Bridge link to little keyon street was mentioned but this was demolished
When Hampton court was demolished which is across the road from keyon street
And great Hampton row
If you type in to Google. Little Keyon. Street. you will find another info
About keyon street and there is a map
So the church bit at the bottom of keyon st facing the station may have been the link
And may be the registrars. Of originals could have made a mistake in addressing the address
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Good evening Astonian, what an absolute fountain of information you are, I have been reading your reply and I was hoping you might be able to review your comments on the reference to Google. I have tried the google reference you noted but can't get any recognition of the enquiry, is there a typo in your response or am I doing something wrong. I can't find any church in Kenyon Street itself but my maps are obviously not as old or detailed as those that you and mikejee are using. Your reference to a "bridge link" suggests there was some body of water, a river or just a stream in this area but I can't find that either ! The subject of my original enquiry was for an infant named Clarinda Marklew, she was born on 23 Oct 1815 to parents Charles Lea Marklew (1791-1873) and his wife Ann Marklew nee James (1793-1861). If Clarinda had lived she would have been my third great aunt but unfortunately she died aged 14 months on 7 Jan 1817. The only other references I have for her death are DRO 35 and Archive Roll M163 - I don't know what these refer to at this stage. The other reference is to St. Paul's Church, or the Church of St. Paul. I would once again like to express my appreciation for the time and effort you and the previous responders have taken to answer my enquiry. Thank you once again, Snowball (in Australia).

Back