• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little Bromwich Hospital

pejoy

proper brummie kid
can anyone tell me where Little Bromage isolation hospital was.
I was a 6yr old patient in 1946 suffering diphtheria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: little bromage hospital

Little Bromwich hospital is on Yardley Green Road, diagonally opposite the back of Eat Birmingham Hospital.
Later called Yardley Green Hospital, it has been used for Geriatric and Mental Health patients - it was part of the Mental Health Trust back in 1996-200 when I worked at Heartlands. Unsure if it still stands or has been redeveloped for housing. Think they built an Old Folks home on part of the site?
Not been down that way for some years now.
Brian

I think Little Bronwich Hospital has gone completely now after serving many years as a sanatorium and isolation hospital, the thinking was this type of hospital was no longer required. I believe that on the site now there is a school and a secure mental health centre. Here are a couple of early photos of the Lodge House and the wards when it was a sanatorium.

Attachments

• Bordesley Green Little Bromwich img071.jpg
    Bordesley Green Little Bromwich img071.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Bordesley Green Yardley Green Rd Little Bromwich .jpg
    Bordesley Green Yardley Green Rd Little Bromwich .jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Bordesley Green Yardley Green Rd Lodge at East Birmingham Hospital.[1].jpg
    Bordesley Green Yardley Green Rd Lodge at East Birmingham Hospital.[1].jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 123

I wad in Little Bromwich when I was five years old in 1941 with whooping cough and double pneumonia and our ward was opposite to the Diptheria ward on the first floor. We were all wheeled out onto open - air balconies all day however cold it wad and we could wave to children in your ward. I wad in there for six weeks and parents were only allowed to visit once a week on the promise that we would not cry when we saw them with their masks and gowns on but of course we always did. It wad very scary to be without your Mom and Dad for such a long time.

Sorry Pejoy - I forgot to address this reply to you - my apologies!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Bromwich Fever Hospital was entered from Bordesley Green East, just below the Broadway Pub at the bottom of the hill when I was young in the late 20s-30s and 40s. My friends father lived in the house along side the gates. He was in charge of something in the hospital. We used to play snooker in the games room and was there when bombs were dropped in the grounds in the Blitz. The hospital on Yardley Green Road was the Sanatorium for T.B.
GEFF

pejoy On the thread "Fever Hospitals in Birmingham 1930s" there are some interesting Posts on Little Bromwich Hospital.

My mom was in "Little Bromwich Hospital", she had "Glandular Fever", and was very ill for some months.Paul

I was in Little Bromwich Isolation hospital (originally City Hospital) for 2 months in 1951. It was in Yardley Green Rd. It wasn't the same building as the sanatorium.

I've grown up and lived my life believing that the sanatorium on Yardley Green Rd was Little Bromwich Hospital. In the 70's & 80's we supplied skips for all the hospitals in Birmingham and even the buying department who ordered the skips referred to the Yardley Green Rd site as Little Bromwich when ordering an exchange of skips. Though looking on the early maps I can see we were all wrong and it was indeed what we knew as East Bimingham Hospital that was indeed Little Bromwich Hosptal.

Attachments

• hospital.JPG
    hospital.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 83

Thanks for posting the map Phil. I've not seen that one.city hospital isolation little bromwich.jpg
Here's a photo of the Isolation Hospital.

I to was in Little Bromwich Hospital way back in 1940 when I was 13yrs old. I had Diptherea and was ready to pass out of this world. I remember there used to be air raids at night when the German bombers came over and the nurses had to rush around the ward covering each patient with a thick red blanket incase a window got blown out and all the glass came down on your bed. The nurses used to slide under the nearest bed and stay there until the allclear sirens sounded. It wasn't a very pleasant period in my life, but I survived it and I'm now 87yrs old.
Have a nice day you all

Re Little Bromwich Hospital
yes I remember those bright red blankets and you were also wrapped in them in the ambulance bringing you to the hospital. Do you remember your clothes and toys being taken off you when you arrived and they were destroyed because of the infections. When you started getting better and were able to get out of bed clothes and toys were provided for you on the ward. I remember there were quite a few Nuns who were nursing on the ward. I think the whooping cough ward was Ward 21.

My son caught measles whilst in Good Hope hospital being treated for febrile convulsions. They sent him to Heartlands (would it have been called that in 1980?) as they still had the facilities to isolate infectious patients and Good Hope didn't.

Hi bryan
The mental health trust still excist its across the road facing the hospital
they have turned the old hearing centre and the mental health centre into one large mental health security unit
for serious ill patients for long term sentence by the courts for indefinate periods
its a masive complex going back right through to hob moor road they have built these little bunolows for patients to support them selves
still within the complex grounds at the rear side the complex is surrounded by huge steel and electronic gates
all around the complex escape proof . i think its called the triangle or some think sounds like it
along the road there is some old peoples house been built as well
best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Back