• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Links : Whites Directory of 1849

dwilly

master brummie
https://archive.org/details/birminghamhistor00whitrich

Just found this directory from what I think is 1849 of Birmingham. There are other books about Birmingham on the site and you may be able to find video clips etc. It seems to be an American site so you may find reference to the other Birmingham! Sure if you have the time and effort you can find some interesting items on there. If you do why not post on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotters Badge for Dwilly, that's an excellent Archive trip for "our" Birmingham ( the Original) have just flicked through quite quickly using their Auto-page turner and the Info on B,ham /Aston (& lots I,ve not perused, oops,, yet) is very good with added quality of being able to Magnify the page(s) handy for some folks.,, Well worth a look people,, Ok John

Archive.org is an american site. The problem you are most likely to find with documents you download is going to be with print quality. They tend to be an archive for the google project with documents and although they do have text versions of a lot of documents, their OCR (processing an image into text) is generally mediocre to awful. If you can find the same document on gutenberg.org that will probably have a much better text version. If you download documents for reference from Archive.org, use a pdf version that gives an image of the page.

Back