• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gun Barrel Proof House Banbury Street

img084.jpg
The Gun Barrel Proof House in Banbury Street off Deritend was built in 1813.

I visited the Proof house 4 years ago, and took quite a lot of photos from the museum, but we were specifically asked not to publish them or put them on the internet. There are a few of the outside which I am sure would be OK.
As you approach it , two sets of gates

P1000559A.jpgP1000560A.jpgP1000561A.jpg

From the other end of the yard

P1000571A.jpg

The entrance

P1000612A.jpg

To the end of the yard is the building in which the proofing is done. To the left, in front of it, the isolated building is where the explosive powder is stored

P1000616A.jpg

Thanks Mike. I’m surprised how much there is to the site. Never been there and was only aware of it when I used to do the train journey back and forth to London. Looks interesting. Viv.

Very interesting place, was very fortunate to visit on an educational school outing...
ann that is one place i have not yet visited but would love to do so....maybe sometime this year

lyn

It is quite expensive , and visitors have to be pre-named so that they can be checked before a visit

Wow, that's interesting, I haven't watched all of it as it's a bit too technical for me!
What's surprised me is that they still do all that testing in there, I've passed by the building but somehow assumed it was a relic of the past.

they do a fantastic job there. making sure that all weapons are safe at the time of testing them. keeping us safe

I know they will only take group bookings. Names provided in advance for "vetting". No photography allowed.
what i want to know is do you have a book a group where by you all know each other or can you tag onto a random group of ten which would make it great if only you wanted to go...not sure about that but i would have thought tagging onto a random group is much easier for the single/couple visitors

i just contacted them. they said if you want to book a vist for 10 people a group you know is ok email them and they will send you a form to fill in telling you all the info

Last edited:
what i want to know is do you have a book a group where by you all know each other or can you tag onto a random group of ten which would make it great if only you wanted to go...not sure about that but i would have thought tagging onto a random group is much easier for the single/couple visitors
just contacted them lyn

i just contactected them. they said if you want to book a vist for 10 people a group you know is ok email them and they will send you a form to fill in telling you all the info
thanks pete i read that...its a shame really as not everyone can find another 9 people to go with them...mike visited in 2018 must ask him as i still think its an odd way and restricted way of being able to visit...i am sure that at the back to backs you have to book into a tour of 5 or 6 visitors they give you a time slot and you are in that group...

megga dosh but it payes for the upkeep and the mantainance

Prices. The visit costs £200 including VAT for each group visit of upto 10 people. Payment is required on the day of the visit either in the form of cash or cheque. Card payments are not accepted.

megga dosh but it payes for the upkeep and the mantainance

Prices. The visit costs £200 including VAT for each group visit of upto 10 people. Payment is required on the day of the visit either in the form of cash or cheque. Card payments are not accepted.
thats only £20 each pete...i thought that was reasonable..just spoke to mike and he said it does not matter if you book for 10 people or 1 person the price is still £200 so now i have that sorted i dont think i will be going as a single booking:rolleyes:

lyn

Last edited:
thanks pete i read that...its a shame really as not everyone can find another 9 people to go with them...mike visited in 2018 must ask him as i still think its an odd way and restricted way of being able to visit...i am sure that at the back to backs you have to book into a tour of 5 or 6 visitors they give you a time slot and you are in that group...
I suspect it is more to do with the fact the Proof House is still in use so they want to limit visitors.

Back