• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lily place, gem st 1930

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Lily place, gem st, 1930

Attachments

• Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
First mention of Gem St My Mom went to Gem St School and my Aunt :)

One for Alfie---GEM ST SCHOOL 1896

Attachments

• Gosta Green  Gem St School 1964[1].jpg
    Gosta Green Gem St School 1964[1].jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Postie she went in 1919 and was'nt Deaf. But a great photo O0

1959, my first time out on the beat on nights, walking down Gem Street at about 11pm. Screaming and shouting from the top floor of a house, and a woman leaning out. 'Hes trying to kill me, please help me'. How do I get in? 'Heres the door key, and she threw it down to me. I went into the downstairs room, and up the stairs to the first floor, The bedroom door had been demolished, with wood everywhere. In the bed I saw a mans head lying next to a dogs head, covered with a sheet. The woman was still screaming from the top room, and when I went up her door it had also been demolished. She told me the story, he was drunk and violent and was going to kill her. Despite all my training I decided to take him in. I got him to follow me downstairs and into the street, where I dutifully nicked him. Next day in court his wife gave evidence and said I had dragged her husband out of the house, and he had not threatened her, neither was he drunk. He was fined for being drunk, but I learned a valuable lesson in husband/wife relationships.

My mum went to Gem Street.  She was born 1919 so I suppose she must have been there around 1924-1930.  Forence (Florrie, Flo) Eagles, she has a brother a couple of year's younger Charles Eagles.  Ring any bells?

Woodman its just the Brummie in me we are all clever :coolsmiley:

And Tilly my Mom started there in 1919 about :)
Also I live near you in Suffolk ;)

I WAS GOING TO DO A TOPIC ON GEM ST, BUT IT SEEMS I,VE BEEN BEATEN YET AGAIN,I DID,NT THINK ANYBODY WOULD HAVE REMEMBERD OLD GEM ST,AH WELL NICE STORIES , BEST WISHES TO EVERY ONE ONTHIS GLORIOUS DAY , TOP OF THE MORNING TO YEH, ASTONIAN, ;;;;

Back