• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lily place, gem st 1930

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Lily place, gem st, 1930

Attachments

• Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    Gosta Green Lily PLace Gem St 1910 .jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
First mention of Gem St My Mom went to Gem St School and my Aunt :)

One for Alfie---GEM ST SCHOOL 1896

Attachments

• Gosta Green  Gem St School 1964[1].jpg
    Gosta Green Gem St School 1964[1].jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Postie she went in 1919 and was'nt Deaf. But a great photo O0

1959, my first time out on the beat on nights, walking down Gem Street at about 11pm. Screaming and shouting from the top floor of a house, and a woman leaning out. 'Hes trying to kill me, please help me'. How do I get in? 'Heres the door key, and she threw it down to me. I went into the downstairs room, and up the stairs to the first floor, The bedroom door had been demolished, with wood everywhere. In the bed I saw a mans head lying next to a dogs head, covered with a sheet. The woman was still screaming from the top room, and when I went up her door it had also been demolished. She told me the story, he was drunk and violent and was going to kill her. Despite all my training I decided to take him in. I got him to follow me downstairs and into the street, where I dutifully nicked him. Next day in court his wife gave evidence and said I had dragged her husband out of the house, and he had not threatened her, neither was he drunk. He was fined for being drunk, but I learned a valuable lesson in husband/wife relationships.

My mum went to Gem Street.  She was born 1919 so I suppose she must have been there around 1924-1930.  Forence (Florrie, Flo) Eagles, she has a brother a couple of year's younger Charles Eagles.  Ring any bells?

Woodman its just the Brummie in me we are all clever :coolsmiley:

And Tilly my Mom started there in 1919 about :)
Also I live near you in Suffolk ;)

I WAS GOING TO DO A TOPIC ON GEM ST, BUT IT SEEMS I,VE BEEN BEATEN YET AGAIN,I DID,NT THINK ANYBODY WOULD HAVE REMEMBERD OLD GEM ST,AH WELL NICE STORIES , BEST WISHES TO EVERY ONE ONTHIS GLORIOUS DAY , TOP OF THE MORNING TO YEH, ASTONIAN, ;;;;

Back