• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

LILLEY PACKING CASE MAKERS

A

angie

Hi there

Does anyone have info on Lilley's packing case makers which used to stand on asylum Rd? i know what they did ,but am looking for info on my g grandfather Thomas Hevingham who worked there late 1800s,i am hopefully looking for employee lists and photos if poss. O0

Angie,
go to the Summer lane forum,
There's a piece there written
by John Houghton on Lilley's Packing case maker

Dennis already been there :( but need more info and was wondering if anyone out there woked or have pics of the staff.

I cant help but i know a family called Lilley who lived in Great Barr.

M.M.Lilley's was taken over by the Newby family through marriage there is only one of the newby family surving I had most of the Lilley stuff given to me by Ivor Newby and to my knowledge there are no list of workers name I will contact Ivor and ask him, the there is an old photograph on the site with a few old workers on also there are workers in the mill
I started work there in 1954 they then moved to Aldridge were I still live the place in Asylum road was destroyed in a fire late 1950,s
if there is any think else you would like to know get in touch

Hi John

I contacted you a couple of years ago,i dont know if you remember?but you said you would have a word with this chap,but i heard no more from you again!!
so i do hope that you do have a word with him for me.
Cheers O0

must be losing a few marbles but in my defence Ivor does go walk abouts alot he was in the Isle of Man last time I tried to contact him will endeavour to stir the old grey cells for you will try again tomorrow (he is getting on a bit)
just keep on at me

Was there a Lilleys on the corner of Bracebridge & Ashford Street if not what was the name.
My Grans was opposite at 5 Ashford St and as Kids we were always nipping in and out of the factory and we had no trouble from the workers, in fact they were great to us :)

Angie I know that, just thought they had something to do with Lilleys as they had alot of new packing cases outside everyday. :(

Back