• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

likeys

Taken in Victoria Road about 1947 Waiting for the tram for a day out at the Likeys

Can I put this on the aston Mainsite please? Was it taken outside of the Working Mans Club nearer to the Six Ways end of Victoria Road. I think I recognise the entrance to the Club although I cant be sure, my dad used to attend Labour Party meetings there in the 60's

Would you be talking about Lozells working mans club there Rod ? My grandad Bernard Wallace was on the commitee there i know for a fact in the 1970s, i don't know about before that though. Another guy called Peter Philips too was on it. They had some great Xmas partys there for the kids, my nan Rene used to help dish the food up to us kids, sat at long lines of tables. Great memories...but im going off the main subject sorry !

You had me intrigued then laraine so I looked in Kellys at 145 Victoria Road was indeed Aston & District Labour Club, headquarters of the Labour Party in Aston and at the rear was a bar and mens club. Thats not saying of course that the picture is of the Club, it may be something entirely different. Thanks though for your post!!

Actually Rod thinking about it, i might be mistaken there. The working mans club was on Witton Road by six ways, more or less opposite the library on the corner of Albert Road/ Witton Road.

Rod, it was traken outside the Aston and District Labour Club ( My Grandparents were members ) It was the clubs annual outing for the children. The Right hand side is mostly me family. Yes you can use the photo any way you like

Brilliant I thought I recognised it!! My dad was heavily involved in the Labour Party during the later sixties, the picture is superb.

hello my name is Allen Gibson i was born at 204 Victoria Rd  Aston dec1932my mother lived in Tower rd before she married and Dad lived in Bartons bank

Back