• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lightwoods Park, Bearwood

Lightwoods House will have another Open Day on Sunday 25th March 11.30 to 3.30 when you will be able to take a tour,
The Tea Room which is open now and is run by Jonathon previously of Jonathon's Restaurant and Hotel on Wolverhamton Road.

Thanks Viv, it's beatiful. I wish it was still a lovely pool with swans instead of that ugly skateboard area!
Yesterday youths had taken over the play area where the swings are, not so peaceful now.
rosie.

I don't remember the children dressed like that but I do remember that many children playing around the area so it could be that the photographer just called the people together for the photo

Some images of Lightwoods park from the thirties and forties, The one looks like a paddling pool which I didn't know they had, another is the bowling green and another one of the pond.

The thing about parks is that they were always a safe haven for our children and they kept them off our streets. If times are changing and skateboard parks are doing the same job then my personal opinion is I hope they build more in our parks, at least it might keep some of them off our streets and away from our shopping areas.

Bearwood Lightwoods Park 1933.JPG Bearwood Lightwoods Park 1946.JPG Bearwood Lightwoods Park.jpg

The little "Rest House" in #85 no longer has seating, the fixed wooden benches gradually disappeared!
Such a pity there's vandalism in a lovely place.
rosie,

I went back to Lightwoods Park on the 2nd June 2020, for a lockdown walk to Warley Woods. Starting from Adkins Lane.

New photo of the Bandstand.

I noticed that the middle part of the Rest House was missing.

New views of Lightwoods House.

I also got to see the drinking fountain near Galton Road for the first time without hoardings in the way.

This is a quote from William Shakespeare's Timon of Athens, Act I, Scene II.

Those healths will make thee and thy state
look ill, Timon. Here's that which is too weak to
be a sinner, honest water, which ne'er left man i' the mire

Gate to the Shakespeare Garden was locked last week, probably due to the lockdown / pandemic.

I've got a project over at Birmingham We Are for Lightwoods Park. I've got one post up, and have two pending posts ready (not sure when they will be published / approved). But you can check out the gallery if you want to.

I think that the gate to the Shakespeare Gardens will be kept locked during the present lockdown as it gives access to the back of Lightwoods House which would cause a security problem at the present time. Also looking at the above photos, there is little maintenance on the gardens being done at the moment.

Lovely photos as always Ellbrown! I miss my weekly walk there. The Rest House seating was removed bit-by-bit unfortunately, it was handy just there. The Shakespeare Garden was renovated recently, my mother used to say that originally all the plants in there were mentioned in his plays.
rosie.

Was the Rest House always there. Or was it new from 2016-17? As I only had the first drinking fountain in that area back in 2011.

No the Rest House was new with the refurbishment. There was a previous structure in that area which was the aviary that was demolished some time ago.

I agree it's pre 1950's, I remember the Bowling club hut which burned down a few years ago but it wasn't like the house on the right. The cafe had a very high counter or so it seemed , when I was allowed a special treat of ice-cream!!

Good old Lightwoods park visited regularly by me and my mates late 50's . Two things I remember most in the early 60's a very bad fight between two boy's from the school I was at . Back to the 50's on the way through the park returning home I found a frog , naughty me I picked it up to take home . Checking regularly on the way home the frog looked well , at home however things were different , it looked dead . Holding it up and forming its mouth to almost kiss like I blew into it's mouth
Eureka life continued it was well , I made what you could call a temporary home for it left it alone for the night in the outside washhouse . The following day I woke and immediately thought frog , after breakfast I went to the back yard to the washhouse only to find zilch my little friend had gone . I could understand why it had gone, our little back yard had nothing for it, yet under the gate next door had grass etc . I'd like to think it lived until a ripe old age .

I only recall going to that park once, late fifties I think, there was a show of some sort on which included a pig roast.
A typical British summer day, drizzle all day long, the pig roast must have been started too late as it wasn't served until late afternoon and even then wasn't properly cooked.:(

Some images of Lightwoods park from the thirties and forties, The one looks like a paddling pool which I didn't know they had, another is the bowling green and another one of the pond.

The thing about parks is that they were always a safe haven for our children and they kept them off our streets. If times are changing and skateboard parks are doing the same job then my personal opinion is I hope they build more in our parks, at least it might keep some of them off our streets and away from our shopping areas.

View attachment 125700 View attachment 125701 View attachment 125702

View attachment 125700 View attachment 125701 View attachment 125702
Thanks for posting the photograph of the bowling green. I have a letter from grandad which talk about going to Lightwoods Park in May 1952 and walking past the bowling green.

Back