• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Life of a victorian clerk in london

thats really interesting, will have to remember to follow it through the year. thanks mike

Thanks Mike, very interesting I will be following it. Their whole website seems very neat and well organised - easy to navigate.
Comment today...15 Oct 2010
I'm still occasionally following it and now find out he was only 19 and his lady friend has just had her 45th birthday, but perhaps it was like that in 1846 - and they were a bit naughty at times !

Last edited:
Not Birmingham but a new interest for reading day by day. It is the diary of a victorian clerk for 1846. As i understand it , it is being updated weekly as the year goes by. each item is short (so far), but there are additional pictures (from london) added by the archives. The site shows you the typical happenings of a clerk at that time.
Mike
Looking through all my 'Watched Threads' (I wanted to see what I was looking at years ago !) I came across this thread and notice the diary is still available. The original link does not work but this different link does https://victorianclerk.wordpress.com/
Each diary entry follows the current dates ... it is not the easiest site to navigate but an insight into life back then ... With some fiddling you can see all the entries so far for 1846 .... it also has audio ... His love was for Ann Fox .... he kissed her many times on the 17th May ....
A typical entry
Wednesday 13th May 1846
“Mother went to the dispensary to undergo the painful operation of having a tumour cut out of her breast, but was agreeably disappointed, the surgeon being about to try milder methods. Charles Waters completes his 20th year this day.”

Back