• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Life of a boy in blue (overalls)

D

daimlerman

During the summer of '69 i started work as an Apprentice at Miller st bus garage. My heart sank when i was placed in the light car garage oiling Austin cambridges and ford Anglias..After a few weeks i asked the garage Superintendant, (Mr Connington i think), if i could work with the buses.

I clearly remember the old boys who did a pristine job in there: Namely, Reg lucas, Ron Griffiths, Norman Weston and a formidable Foreman, Reg Curry, also a lovely old service man, Arthur poppleton. At only 15yrs I knew everything about buses, (nothing in fact)! I learned some pretty tough disciplins in there and some of the practices and proceedures still hold true today, nearly 40 yrs on, Such as cleaning and looking after tools, thinking about safety and above all, LISTENING and WATCHING..

Many years have passed and after a couple of carreer changes, including the Police service (retired) and now working within the Department for Transport, i still retain some fond memories of Miller street and a couple of not so fond ones, Like the time Ron griffiths Slammed his fist down on my sarnies. I must have really peed him of at times but i would still like to thank him for his efforts in trying to instill some sort of interest in the job. Since then i have had many a young upstart under my wing and i have to say Ron, the smashing of sarnies always works,ha!

I can also remember working with Reg Lucas who said " hop in the cab son, select 1st, And DONT be soft with the gear pedal" well, i was and it kicked back trapping my little leg under the steering wheel...And Norman Weston? well, he taught me never to give up on a task.. "You will stand down the pit and thump those brake drums with a 4 stone dolly until they come off" goo-on son, goo-on, you can do it"...Groan.. Great days. I wonder if the modern apprentice is put through such torture. The probably do it with a lap-top computor now.

I sincerely hope those old boys are still alive and kicking.

Welcome Daimlerman:) You arn't alone on this Forum working for BCT or will you be with the great Folks here

Happy Days

Rolls in Daimlerman

Hello & Welcome Daimlerman :) Northants from Newtown Row eh!

Nice recollections of your early days at Miller St Garage, you wuz
obviously dragged up in correct manner by your betters , bless em :rolleyes:
Good to see the honour & respect you hold for them,
The mark of a good tradesman,, Nice 1 sunshine,,
Cheers John Y :cool:

Last edited:
When I lived in Newtown Row Miller Street only had Trams and when I worked for BCT Tyburn Road I wore Dark Blue Overhalls:)

Mind you had some Fun when a lot younger being chased out of the Pits in Miller Street

Boys in blue

Yes Alf, i rmember those dark satanic pits too, I was never chased out of them but i was chased into them, by a rather stern chargehand. Because of my "naughty boy" misgivings i was made to stay late, against my will and wash down the tiled pit walls with rag and a bucket of paraffin!

I seem to remember being earlier tasked to undo a fluid flywheel plug and top it up. No doubt being distracted by some shapely conductoress walking by, and me trying to chat her up (some hope). I didn't replace the pug or the alloy cover inside the bus and when the bus was started over the pit, fluid was sprayed over the lower deck ceiling and all over the pit...OOPS! and so the learning curve steepened.

It didn't take long before the fitters had sussed out this little "jeffrey know all " and i was called to the side of a Fleetline to assist in undoing wheel nuts on the nearside front. .. "OOOH they cried, these are tight, ahhh Jeff, young lad like you could easily undo these ten tight nuts, or are you too weak?" Of couse i took the bait and pulled with all my might on the spider wrench..."mmmm, said Reg Lucas, maybe you should wear boxing gloves when you go to bed" instead of ????????. Huh, i'll show 'em i thought, so i pulled and tugged until i was shattered...."I KNOW, i said "some idiots cross threaded them"...Well a roar of laughter rose high into the glass roof and echoed all around the garage....Then somebody said, " Left side of the bus son, left hand threads, try the other way". My face twiched with embarresment and i felt i had been made a fool of because i knew everything about buses,...... didn't I ? :redface:

• Appreciate
Reactions: Kav
Back