• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Life In 1914 - 1915.

Great photos Ger22van, I can't begin to imagine how the bad conditions would have been.

Thank you all, each and every one of you for your comments.
David, Graham, Alf, Lyn, Astonite, Chris, Wendy and not forgetting Marie.

" In fact, there's a signature in the bottom right-hand corner (Vernon, I think???). The fourth picture also seems to be a drawing, but - like the first posting - probably done from a photograph; this was a technique often used by magazines of the time." Quote db84124

Had a dig around for war artists of that name T. Vernon , and variations , but came up with nothing. Perhaps by copying the original photo into a pencil sketch was done for copy-write reasons or ease of printing. I must admit to being ignorant of the different methods of mass printing. Never mind I have spent an interesting few hours on the web.

Hello there, Arkrite,
You've taken upon yourself a job I had every intention of returning to at a later time, but well before now!! ...... distractions, distractions.

Ernie,
Having told us that you've taken the pictures in Post #21 from "The Great War Magazine", I wonder if you could check whether somewhere in the journal there's a small editorial box with acknowledgements to photographers, artists and illustrators. It's a long shot but it could save Arkrite and myself further research.
Speak to you tomorrow. David

Arkrite, Thank you for taking an interest.
David, Sorry to say I have only a few of these magazines, there is no acknowledgements to the artists.
There is lots of text and photographs of officers.

Arkrite. David. I found this artist impression by a Mr F Matania .
When I put it on Google as Mr F Matania War Artist it came up with impressions by him so we are getting somewhere.

Good Afternoon Marie. I guess they thought it was the wonder weapon to end the Great War on that day Sept 16th 1916 but of cause the war ended on Nov 11th 1918 so it did not help to end the carnage which maybe they had hoped it would.

Super photographs especially to a Great War history enthusiast like me......

As you know, St Tropez is on the Med coast in the south and thankfully, no hostilities occurred there. The pictures would have been taken in the north-east close to the front lines and the damage would have been as a result of artillery fire by either side.

Thank you Malc, there were a few more that I could have posted. I am feeling a bit tired today so I shall try to post them another day.

Just in case anyone is ever looking for this detail, the first day that tanks went into action was actually 15 September 1916 and not at Thiepval. This was the start of a phase of the Battle of the Somme known as the Battle of Flers-Courcelette.

Back