• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lickey Hills

These days the only bus route that gets close to the Lickey's from Birmingham is the 98. Although I've only caught it back to the Bristol Road from Rednal (last two times I walked from Longbridge).

Photos here Lickey Hills Country Park

Centro seem to be having great fun renumbering bus services these days! First the 62 becomes the X62 and extends to Rubery, now it has become the 98 (with route changes and no longer limited stop).....

I have used the 47 to get to/from the Lickeys, it terminates at Cofton Hackett and is quite high frequency. Not too far to walk over to it.

Simon

There doesn't seem to be any buses that use Monument Lane (where the car park is).

Is probably more National Express West Midlands than Centro / Network West Midlands that change the route number.

Didn't the X64 become the 99?

There doesn't seem to be any buses that use Monument Lane (where the car park is).

Is probably more National Express West Midlands than Centro / Network West Midlands that change the route number.

There used to be a former Midland Red route which went that way to Bromsgrove but that seems to have gone. No it is the 98 which runs up Lickey Road and then turns into Leech green Lane.

I was going to catch the 98 from Selly Oak, but a 63 came first. So ended up walking down Lickey Road for the second time!

Which meant that I walked around the roads starting from Leach Green Lane around the back.

Still I caught the 98 back from Rednal when I was finished in the Lickey's. (saw a pensioner smoking in that bus stop, despite it being against the law!).

You could catch a train to Barnt Green and enter the Lickeys from there,the entrance is across the road from the station and a mile or so to the visitor centre.

Well I've done the Lickey's now, photo wise.

I only really wanted to go to Beacon Hill and see the views of the city.

Several paths off Rose Hill are blocked off, due to recent diseased trees.

And a lot of these paths are a bit steep to walk up!

X64 still runs although late in the evening it only seems to go as far as Bangham Pit. The 99 used to be the 636 and terminates in Halesowen bus station. Wholesale renumbering is hard to keep up with:uncomfortableness:

Simon

I used to meet the Love of my Life at the LIckeys and yes I have lots of memories .
They keep me going on cold winter nights.
Betty.

A good walk that I did with a few friends a few years ago took in both the Lickeys and the Clent hills. One car was parked near Barnt Green Station and another at Clent. This is a brilliant all day walk that takes in Cofton Hill, Beacon Hill, Wasely Hills, Walton Hill and The Four Stones. For most of the way we followed the North Worcestershire Path. The views are brilliant over Brum and the Black Country. If it is clear you can see right down the Severn Valley to May Hill on the edge of the Forest of Dean. I can see May Hill from Lansdown Hill above where I now live in Bath.

I've noticed, on my walks in the Lickey Hills, circular concrete foundations, mainly overlooking the old Longbridge Factory. Does anyone know if these were World War 2 gun emplacements?

I would assume that with the importance of Longbridge there would be both Anti-aircraft guns as well as Barrage Balloons.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

The 2 men wearing uniforms are Parks Police i joined them in 1964 and the 2 men were still working there what a great job it was sorry for the short post its my first one.

For the information of those who havenot seen it and for those cannot walk, have look at the pictures taken from a drone aircraft. Enter "Fligt of the phantom over the Licky Hills" and follow the link to You Tube. You may findit of interest.I

Just watched the video on "Youtube", fascinating , but sad too as the whole area has changed since my childhood and is nearly unrecognizable to me, that's for the thread.

Just watched the video on "Youtube", fascinating , but sad too as the whole area has changed since my childhood and is nearly unrecognizable to me, that's for the thread.
Hello Paul, I walk in Cofton Park most days with my dog, I've seen this gadget, they are £370 in Maplins, a real big boys toy. Takes you back to your youth and aero modelling and the feeling "I would like one". Hope you are keeping fit. Saw the old (87 years) Co op Baker that used to serve Gregory Avenue and the Cul-de-sacs off. He tells a good story, where should I post that?

Hello Paul, I walk in Cofton Park most days with my dog, I've seen this gadget, they are £370 in Maplins, a real big boys toy. Takes you back to your youth and aero modelling and the feeling "I would like one". Hope you are keeping fit. Saw the old (87 years) Co op Baker that used to serve Gregory Avenue and the Cul-de-sacs off. He tells a good story, where should I post that?

Here is the LINK to the video...

Back