• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lickey Hills

We used to get the tram from Navigation Street. Was there a large cafe come canteen at the Lickeys by the Terminus or am I imagining it?

Len's photo is at the Rubery terminus of tram route 71 replaced by bus route 63 in July 1952. For the Lickey Hills people would take tram 70 to Rednal which was replaced by bus route 62 also in July 1952. The answer to Beamish's question is that yes there was a cafe there. The building was still there last time I passed so I presume it still stands but has not been the terminus for many years for the reason I have mentioned above with the bus terminating one stop before.

As well as the Corporation trams, and later buses, don't forget the Midland Red ran a few services to Bromsgrove (and beyond) via Barnt Green or Rose Hill and Lickey Top as well.

Here's a "D5" type double decker at Rednal on a hot summer's day. A full load, and all the windows open.
The pub and penny arcade are still there today, but the crowds have long gone.

Hi 6198,
You can get the X62 from stop JB(Ithink it was that one) on Paradise Street that goes to Leach Green Lane, Rednal, takes around 50 mins, then a 15 minute walk, or get a Diamond Bus no 202 from outside the Hare and Hounds, towards Worcester get off at Lickey Post Office then about 5 minute walk - not quite as easy as the old 62, but good service according to my mate who did it last year, as a re-run of our training days out at Selly Oak!
Sue

Thanks for that Sue

The 62 bus still goes to Rednal but terminates at Leach Green Lane (the stop before the old terminus) as the old terminus is now covered with housing.
Trams from other depots used to supplement the Selly Oak based trams on a summer Sunday as was the case when buses took over the Bristol Road routes. New fronts from depots such as Highfield Road, Miller Street, Cotteridge, Quinton etc would regularly appear. Happy days!

does any one know the tram number dad and I, would catch to the lickeys on sunday mornings, we lived in Raglan Road and walked up to the pershore road. would we have had to catch two trams one to the Bristol road and then one to the lickeys??
paul

does any one know the tram number dad and I, would catch to the lickeys on sunday mornings, we lived in Raglan Road and walked up to the pershore road. would we have had to catch two trams one to the Bristol road and then one to the lickeys??
paul

Paul, If you lived in the Raglan Road by St Ambrose Church Edgbaston then I would have thought that you would walk to Bristol Road as Pershore Road and Bristol Road are only about 100 yards apart at this point. On the Bristol Road you would get a number 70 tram later 62 bus. If you did catch a tram in Pershore Road it would have been one of the trams that ran in Peeble Mill Road 36 Cotteridge, 46 Stirchley or 53 Ten Acres

Thank you very much David, I am putting together a small cache of all my memories for my boys from when very young till 15, when I left dear old brum, and as the old grey cells are stating to harden I am very greatful for all the help I get on the forum.
paul

I managed to visit the Lickeys a few weeks back on my visit over to Brum, an X62 bus taking me there instead of a tram sadly. The section of tram track mentioned previously is still at Rednal although rather choked up with weeds now. A very enjoyable day was had exploring the hills before walking over to Cofton Hackett to get a 47 back for the sake of variety.

It was good to read you had a nice day 6918 hope the weather was kind :)
ragga :)

Ps did you manage to do any photograghy while you were there ??

Weather was indeed kind and lots of photos were taken. They gave me a map in the visitor centre so I knew where I was wandering! Bilberries were just getting ripe too, a tasty snack while walking!

I spent a while at the start working out where the famous old tram shelter used to be.

img142.jpg
This picture with all the 'day trippers' waiting for the bus home shows how popular The Lickeys used to be for days out.

Brilliant Picture stiticher :adoration: I stood there many times in the 70's waiting for the 62 into town - but the queues were much shorter by then.

Hello Polly, when the Midland Red at Digbeth lost the bus routes I transfered to Mosely Road tram shed which by then was known a bus garage, that shut shortly after and I went to Selly Oak. A lot of the staff were quite old compared to myself and they had worked on the trams on Bristol Road but of course it was all buses at this time.
I spent several years on the 61, 62 and 63. By this time the crowds were not using the buses any longer but I often thought of my younger days with mom and dad in those queues.

Stitcher - if you were driving the 62 and 63 in the 70's and 80's I bet you have been my chauffeur on many occasions :adoration:

Back