• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lickey - Beacon Hill Toposcope - Request for help

Adrian Angove

proper brummie kid
There is a spirited discussion taking place at Wikipedia regarding the Beacon Hill Toposcope at Lickey ... a number of younger folk reckon that the elaborate castle, that surrounds it, has been there ever since 1906 when the toposcope was first sited there and was merely 'rebuilt' in the 1980s ... us older folk maintain that between 1906 and the late 1980s the toposcope was located on top of a far simpler circular structure and the current fort was only added in 1988 to mark the park's centenary ... can anyone shed further light or produce a pre-1988 photograph?

Hi Adrian,
It has been many, many years since I played "up The Lickeys" as a child, but the structure that I see on photos now, is not how I remember it. I have also spoken to my Mom and Uncle who were born in Rubery (My Uncle still lives at "The bottom of The Lickeys")
Mom, who again hasnt been up there for many years, described it as a drum shaped structure with steps (which is how I remember it) My Uncle said it is not how it used to be. He also said he will ask around to see if he can get hold of a photo.

I remember the smaller structure from the late 50's early 60's, Selly Oak Girl Guides walked up through the Lickey Hills passed it to go camping in Mr C Cadbury's grounds
There is a picture of it on another forum site

Back