• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Street, Birmingham

My family lived in Lichfield Street from about 1820 at number 45 mostly until it was demolished.
Lichfield Street no longer exists; it used to lead east from The Old Square (where Lewis’s used to be) and led down to Gosta Green, It demolished around 1883 as part of slum clearance when Corporation Street was built. According to William Hutton, the first Birmingham historian, it was built between 1700 and 1731. The Birmingham Parish Workhouse founded 1734 was in Lichfield Street, roughly where the Victoria Law Courts now stand.
You can see it on this map. The second picture is the Farriers Arms in the street and the third is Lichfield Street shortly before it was demolished
Dear Michael,
I am new to 'Birmingham History' and forums, in general. I am researching Lichfield Street and find this forum fascinating but I don't know how to view images. I have hovered my cursor over all the icons I can see! Please help,
Jane

Dear Michael,
I am new to 'Birmingham History' and forums, in general. I am researching Lichfield Street and find this forum fascinating but I don't know how to view images. I have hovered my cursor over all the icons I can see! Please help,
Jane
Have you clicked on them?

You just said that you have hovered your cursor over the icons?????
This is an example
24067-9b28450c4a5c03841e27c9f6780f2c26.jpg
of one (it is no good clicking over this one here though as it is only an example)

Some years ago the forum was hacked, and as a result all the images were lost. Many have been replaced, but it has not been possible to replace all,. If you are referring to images earlier on the thread then these are possibly some that were lost.

Hello Mikejee and everyone else,

Thank you for your help. The hacking must explain why I could not see the image thumbnails. Does anyone have any more images of Lichfield Street? I would love to see them. I have the census and rating information from 1841 to 1851 and am trying to work out where the buildings were on the street for my MA dissertation,

Jane

The only photos that I have of Lichfield Street are on this thread. A lot of the information given should be quite useful.
This link might help

Jane

These are some maps I have posted somewhere, where I tried to calculate the approximate positions., if they are any help to you:

approx. position of Farriers Arms and Rose & Crown lichfield st
approx. position of Farriers Arms  and Rose & Crown lichfield st.jpg

lichfield st showing approx position of 46 and 67
lichfield st showing approx position of 46 and 67.jpg

lichfield st showing approx. position of nos 12 and 120
lichfield st showing approx. position of nos 12 and 120.jpg

That is brilliant, thank you so much. It looks like a couple of generations of my family were in the street through the 1800s so everyone's stories on here are really interesting.
Couldn't help but notice your surname - my gr-gr-grandmother, Mary Anne Stevens (nee Coles), was the proprietor at The Old Farriers Arms c1890, Corporation Street (as was) - see photo - her husband James Stevens, died in the pub - I bare his name

This is James in my family tree - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/83399042/person/34482202984/facts

By chance, any relation?

Jame Stevens

Attachments

• The Old Farriers Arms.jpg
    The Old Farriers Arms.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, Mike - very interesting. I have the house numbers and occupants from the 1851 census. Is it a fact that the house numbers were substantially altered at some point in time?

This is a Geo Warren Blackham painting of the junction of Lichfield Street and Stafford Street (Lichfield Street ahead on the right and Stafford Street to the left). I'm guessing that the Gullet must be alongside the building with the writing on the wall and behind Thomas Hopkins' shop. Viv.

Screenshot_20230824_173838_Chrome.jpg

This is a Geo Warren Blackham painting of the junction of Lichfield Street and Stafford Street (Lichfield Street ahead on the right and Stafford Street to the left). I'm guessing that the Gullet must be alongside the building with the writing on the wall and behind Thomas Hopkins' shop. Viv.

View attachment 185517
thanks viv..i really love looking at these old paintings..amazing to see what the area looks like now but even nicer to see how it looked back in the day

lyn

Back