• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Road

F

flowershopgirl

I wonder does anyone remember the community of shops on the Lichfield Road between Victoria Road up to Ansells Brewery?

I grew up there during the 60s and remember a thriving bustling community, where ladies in headscarves pulled tight over their beehive hair dos did their shopping and their gossipping.

Across the road from us their was a clothes shop, Taylors the toyshop (who always had windmills outside in a cemetary urn) a butchers, and grocers and the junkshop. I think there was a "walkaround shop" selling household stuff and further up was Heath's china shops on either side of the methodist church.

All the shops had colourful awnings that shaded the pavements and filled with water to catch the unwary on rainy days. You dont see them any more.

This part of Aston doesn't seem to get much of a mention and yet it was always busy before the council knocked the heart out of it.

All the shopkeepers were honourary auntie and uncles to me as were many of our customers, and I would like to pay tribute to all of them. Many had very little materialistically but they were unfailingly generous to the little girl at the flowershop

If you could expand a few of your experiences, we would love to publish them on the mainsite? dfo you have pictures? Lichfield road and those around it do need to be mentioned more.

What was the chipshop called just on that part of the road, I used to go in there most dinnertimes in 1967 and the cakeshop a few doors down?

Lichfield road folk

There was a chip shop up towards Ansells I seem to remember but by the time I was old enough to go by myself they knocked it down!

I thinki have some photos showing the shops and also during the demolition of the area. The Council did what the Germans failed to do.

I remember as a youngster sitting among the vases of flowers looking out at everyone passing by and listening to the ladies chat as they bought flowers for their front windows.

Those little houses had two rooms downstairs but no one was ever allowed in their front rooms. They were like a holy sactury, filled with ornaments and the best bits of furniture, and the window onto the street was an essential part of the display. The ladies washed the street out side their door, cleaned the doorstep and put a bunch of flowers in the window for the benefit of those who passed by. One of the only benefits of having no central heating was that the flowers lasted ages, and an unspoken competition took place from house to house over whose house looked the best.

You also got to know the local characters:
Uncle Bill at the junk shop who instead of a nervous twitch had a repetitive whistle that he did over and over again as he stood outside his shop. After a while you got so used to it you didnt hear it any more but when you concentrated ... yes there it was. Mom was in that shop for years and he whistled about every two minutes for all those years. We never worked out if he knew he did it! Come to think I never saw any one buy anything either.

Uncle Eric at Taylors Toy shop whose shop window was full of games and puzzles and practical jokes. Oh how I wanted that ring that gave people an electric shock when you shook hands or some stink bombs or a hairy spider to frighten the customers... but some how I always came back with a tub of bubbles or something more lady like. Uncle Eric was a wise man and his fireworks were second to none.

Auntie Mill ran the Wine shop a little offlicence across the road. They were always a cut above. Auntie Mill would hang the plastic cherries from the Cherry B display on my ears and we would dance about like carmen miranda.

Auntie Joan ran the grocers and when I was little she had an elderly mother who showed me how to pull the tendon in the chicken feet to make them move. The shop was open tho the street and I remember how cold her fingers were on my face when she kissed me.

Then there was Florrie the local bag lady that hurled abuse and smelled terrible. The word would go up the road quicker than you could say Jack Robinson and all the doors and closed signs would go up until she had passed by.

But best of all were the ladies who had been to Attwoods the paper shop and came laden with lolipops for me!

Hello Flowershopgirl: I grew up at the Ansells end of Vicarage Rd but a bit before your time. I remember Heaths and Wimbushes the bakers, there was also Frenches(?) greengrocers which had rabbits hanging up outside (before the disease was spread). I made many trips to the fish and chip shop; I think there was a shop which sold radios on the corner of Portland Street and Lichfield Road, and I had to fetch half pints of beer from the off license for my Gran. Your mention of beehive hairdoes reminds me that there was a hairdresser there as well, where I think I got my first beehive. I wasn't on a first-name basis with any of the shopkeepers and left there in 1964 to go and work in London. My brother (known as The Nipper on this site) may remember more of the shops in the 60's, since he is a lot younger than me. :?

I remember Lichfield Road well, the radio & TV shop was I think Mattys to start with then changed to Rumbelows, I bought a lot of items from Heath's china and glass shop, both for myself, and for wedding presents, at one stage it seemed we went to a wedding nearly every month. I think
the hairdressers where Jean had her beehive was Gloria Dawn's next door
or almost next door to Heaths. Then there was Goldbergs drapery shop,
I remember buying a pair of green and white striped cotton pyjamas from there which were very trendy at the time the trousers finishing at calf length and trimmed with broderie anglais, and the top was off the shoulder
with a white frill in b.a.

There was also a high class ladies dress shop on the corner of Lichfield and Victoria Roads with a rounded glass window, but I forget the name, and I don't think I could ever afford to buy a dress from there.

Yes you are right about Rumbelows. My auntie never called it anything but Rumbleblows and anyone who sniggered was in trouble. I think there was a bicycle shop too.
The hairdressers became a wig boutique I think. (My brother was in love with the girl that ran it)

Auntie Nellie ran the ornament side of Heaths but I am not sure about the other shop I think it did dinner services and stuff.

There was a watch repairers and jewellers shop on that side too.

We were on the otherside of the road inbetween the Brittains supermarket and the shoe repairers.

Hi flowershopgirl

Have you seen my picture of Thompson's the pork butchers on this site? Our house was pretty much right behind it in Vicarage Road. That end of Lichfield road I remember there was Matty's then the Gunmaker's Arms (which our gran used to call 'The Widders') then there was the chip shop you mentioned and on the corner of two rows of houses that went back, a newsagents cum sweetshop. On the other side of the houses was Thompsons. I remember the newsagents because someone tried to abduct my sister (Jean on here) there one day when she was taking me for a walk. I must have been only about five, but it sticks in my mind. She did what all parents hope their kids will do and ran home hanging tightly on to me.

I also remember Mr Taylor's toy shop. He always had time for me. I used to buy my airfix kits from there and he could always remember which ones I had already bought, but he gave me all the time I wanted to choose a new model. He's showed me the new ones too. No obligation though. If I changed my mind and decided to spend my money somewhere else, he didnt mind a bit. I thought he was a really nice bloke who obviously loved kids a lot. I never knew if he had kids of his own though.

I also remember also that dress shop on the corner of Lichfield Road and Victoria Road. The pub opposite was the Vine, if memory serves me well.

Do you remember up Victoria Road from there? Above Vicarage Road there was a bakery on the corner, then a newsagents which Jean knows as Jelfs, but in my day was run by a guy called Jimmy Welsh, then a fish and chip shop and then the cop shop.

thanks flower, you bought the street back to life for me.

Regards

Nipper

Lichfield Rd

hi Nipper

Mom was only telling me at lunchtime that when she first opened the shop the pub placed an order for some flowers to go to a funeral. When she wrote the card from the landlrd and staff of the Widders.... she never realised they meant the Gunmakers Arms till they came to collect them and told her off about the card!

Eric Taylor was a gem, he used to let my brother "test" the fireworks in the yard at the back of the shop. I dont think he and his wife had children but I know that they went to live on the Isle of Wight and that unfortunately Eric passed away a few months ago.

I dont remember much about Victoria Rd, i remeber the Police station but I think it was closed down, and I think there was a salvation Army hall. Did you ever go to Dyson Hall. We were there the day it burned down, but I remember they used to have a fete at christmas ...lovely. One was opened by Ann Aston off the Golden Shot!

Actually, the Nipper was three yrs old when the abduction attempt was made and I got toured around in a police car to see if I could find the guy. I couldn't find him but, to this day, I can see his face and remember the color of his suit. I do remember the dress shop on the corner of Lichfield/Victoria Road. I also remember the baker on the corner of Vicarage Rd, when George VI died, they draped the windows in black (as I said the Nipper is a lot younger than me so he won't remember that). My Mom had them make a birthday cake for me when I was five - never had another one until I was 21. I was usually sent to Jelfs to get the accumulator batteries charged for the radio (now I'm really dating myself!). :?

Crikey Jean, I didn't realise I was that young when it happened. I always have had a good memory though.

flowershopgirl, where was your flower shop? I seem to recall one almost opposite Eric Taylor's. Am I right or is the fog of age getting to me? :wink: Also, I had a contact recently from a lady named Anne Dawson who lived on the Lichfield Road. Did ypou know her?

Nipper

Hi nipper

No the fog hasnt dimmed your memory... That was us across the road and up a couple from Eric Taylors.

It had big windows that Mom used to fill with flowers. There was a midland Red bus stop right outside.

I am not sure about the lady you mentioned, will ask my mom.

Do you remember the Boys Brigade Band marching up Lichfield road on Rememberance Days

And Father Christmas going into town on a lit up wagon to start the season at Lewis's

hi oldtimer

Yes you are right! There was another forist called Vera Sanderson a bit further down from us towards Aston Station on the other side of the road.

Coincidentally I later worked on the Post Office Counter at Aston Cross with the son of Mrs Sanders.

Its a small world :)

Do you Remember Dr Nowakowski who had a surgery a few doors up from there?

Sorry Oldtimer,
I meant Manders, not Sanders.... must take my gloves off before I do any typing :wink:

Our Dr was Dr Grayson too. He lived in the last house beside Aston Park in Park Road. I remember him being very courteous to all his patients, and whistling all the time - don't ever remember recognizing a tune, though.

Yep I remember Nowakowski, He told my dad he had rheumatics in his shoulder, but it turned out he had angina. Didn't he have an Irish lady as a housekeeper? I Also remember Dr Gould who wasn't know for politeness as I recall. His surgery was just down from the Vine in the opposite direction to the flower shop

Dr Gould was our doctor as well, talk about grumpy! we used to call him Dr ghoul. Still, I think he was a good doctor in his own way.

Does anyone remember Randall Brothers the printers at Aston Cross?
I worked there for about a year or so in the mid sixties and it was a really nice friendly company.
There were two brothers and they were both getting on a bit by then but they were always friendly and easy going to everyone who worked there.

Grumpy was putting it mildly! I think our Mom (the Nippers and mine) was afraid of him.

Lichfield Rd

Dr Gould did have a reputation for being a very plain speaker! His cleaning lady used to give me all the advertising pictures that the drug companies used to send him. They were lovey coloured prints of flowers and birds. I think his surgery was next to attwoods the paper shop.

Dr Nowakowski used to be very aloof and would mumble at you or just point, I was always nervous before going in. He used to have a picture of the laughing cavalier in his waiting room. I used to think that was quite ironic as he hardly ever smiled.

looking back perhaps he was shy?!

I loved reading these articles about Lichfield road. I spent most of my childhood there, living in the back to backs. I remember at the bottom of our "entry" there was a paint shop called Thornley's and I did a lot of my courting in the doorway of this shop.

Also I used to play with the two children who lived in the Gunmakers Arms, can anyone rember their names. there was a girl and a boy.

Of course being a little more "elite" than the norm we had to play our cards right to get an invite into the pub, but it was well worth it. I used to love the fact that they had all these fancy dressing up clothes.

The music was all highbrow lots of ballet, The dance of the sugar plum fairy was my favourite. The girl and myself would prance around for hours to the tunes. The boy however would always be a knight in armour much to my consternation and charge at us with various wooden swords.

I still love the this kind of music to this day. Knights in shining armour though I am more wary of.

Nippers photos

Nipper
Any chance of having a look at your photo"s of Aston i cany seeem to find em!!

just to wet your lips Kelly's 1964
Furnishers
(Aston) Ltd. house furnishers
152 Dicker L. W. & E.
grocers
t'54 Taylor G. & A. toy dlrs
154A, Barrett's, gents' outfitters
156 Gregory's, ladies' outfitters
... here are Church la. d
Victoria rd ......
162 Lichfield Road Motors,
secondhand car dlrs
164 Bagley Wm. Jn. who
tobcenst
166 Burlton R. G. wallpapeT
mer
168 Fisher Mrs. R. ladies'
hairdrssr
170 Manders MTS. M. E.
sta'tnr
170 TOWN SUB-POST & M. O.
Office
172 Goonan J. 3?. coffee rms
174 Sanderson Vera, florist
176 Blocksidge Mrs. Kathln.
grocer
180 Nowakowski J. J. M.D
182 & 188 Grounds Frank
Ltd. motor car agts. &
dlrs
190 Abby Supplies, fancy
goods mers
•igo Williams Norman (Turf
Accountants) Ltd
iga Ansells Brewery Ltd.
(wine & spirit dept)
:!OOA, Maydown Products
Ltd. small tool distributors
200A, Reflex Tyre &
Rubber Co. Ltd. motor
car tyre mfrs
here is Church rd
202 Harris Mrs. Florence A
cpnfctnr
204 Prince H. J. & Son Ltd.
'. electrcl. contrctrs
206 Annabelle, ladies' hairdresser
208 Salmon Mrs. Grace,
draper
210 Electronic Amusements,
automatic amusement
machine distributors
2IOB, Whitehouse Carton
Co. carton inlrs,
212 Betty'*, diranglrms
214 Green A. P. Refractories
Ltd. refractories
2OE6 Pffoffit & Wes-twood
Ltd. seedsmen
222 & 224 Pegrex Limited,
press workers
222 Electro Erosion Ltd.
spark machinists
226 Williams Ernest,
butcher
228/230 Red Lion P.H
here is Vyse st
130 & 232 Barker J. H.Ltd
pork butchers'
234 Richards B.& M. hardware
dlrs
236 Payne Harry H. Ltd.
shoe reprs
238 Spilbury's, drapers
240 Amateur Electronics,
electronic equipment
dlrs
242 Birmingham Co-operative
Society Ltd.
(grocery department1)
244 Hamilton & Son (Butchers)
Ltd
246 Bendix Self Service
Launderette
248 Storer Thos. house
furnisher
250 Douro Wine Shops Ltd.
wine & spirit mers

Hi nipper

i too remember the thompsons the butchers as i was born at 5/92 Lichfield rd
and i am grandson of jelf the one you mention was own by my
grand dad ernest jelf it was one of many shops he had around aston and the city
my dad billly stevens and my mom joyce jelf to run it for him,
dad fell out with him and told him to get somebody else to run it
also when the gather of the widdows died i remember it well
albert gammages from cromwell terrace took over the pub
he used to live 2 doors from us up our terrace next to the widdows
which was next to the pub also mr matty used to own the tv shop
before rumbows, matty tv shop on the corner on the night father christmas came
on white sleigh we was looking thru matty window looking at t.v`s what was on in the shop
whilst we was waiting for father christmas around tea time after a while standing their me and my friends
mr. matty came out and ask us would we like to wait in the shop until father christmas came
he took me and my friends to back of the shop where he put a big t.v on to watch on the floor and came us orange each
when father christmas came along he told us to come out shop and wave to father christmas
nice one matty, true gentman if their was ever one

sign

astonian

I remember Father Christmas on a sleigh, coming along Park Lane at night, when we were on our way to the kids Sunday school Christmas party at Park Lane Gospel Hall. (in the 60's)
It was magical. Excellent timing...
I think it might have been snowing even

Those memories are golden aren't they. Shops and small businesses used to really get into the spirit of Christmas and it wasn't for weeks ahead of Christmas like it is now unless you count the Christmas Clubs that were very popular and also a way of displaying possible Christmas presents for children if you joined them. I used to love looking in the windows of newsagents and toy shops who always had a Christmas Club. The clubs were advertised with just a small sign at first and then as Christmas drew nearer then the displays would become more festive. It was very exciting. The different shopping areas all had their own style it seems.

Hello Nipper & Flowergirl,
you mentioned the "Gunmakers Arms"?
Well My Aunt Doris used to keep that pub
Her husband Arthur was a cripple,
Arthur Died,and my aunt was given a small off licence
to run before she retired, funny old world ain't it ? O0

we have just had three new Kelly's discs today will furnish a full list of what we have for research I think we must have about thirteen books on disc now with big thanks to Tony at Midlands Historical Data he as been a tremendous help in copying from book to disc for us
check him out at

https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/

Hello Dennis

You mentioned that your aunt used to run the Gunmakers Arms. I used to play with two children whose parents ran this pub. Was they your Aunt's two children?

I used to go down into the cellar of the pub with the two of them. I loved it because they had a small gramophone and lots of classical records.  The sugar plum fairy was my favourite music. They also had lots of dressing up clothes so you can imagine the battles that were fought and the princesses that were rescued.

One particular we day the boy (oh! I wished I could remember his name) was a little too adventurous in his role as the prince and charged full pelt with his sword to rescue the princess, only to slip over at the crucial time in the rescue which resulted in him cutting my top lip. My mum was not to pleased about this and my visits were curtailed for a time.

My love of ballet and classical music stays with me today, a direct consequence of these visits with the two children who lived at the Gunmakers Arms.

Hi everyone, just looking through and came across articles on Litchfield Rd. I worked there for ages in the 60's at Mavis's hairstylist's I probably did lots of your hair. My name is Pat,I am still intouch with Mavis and most of the girls,we meet up every so often.Lovely to look back and remember the good times we had. Anyone remember me?

Back