• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Smudger, there were 2 pubs by the railway bridge, one my Dad used (and me occasionally) called the Britaina, commonly known as the 'Brit'. I forget the other one. Eric

I put this one on some time ago Lynn, it's the famous 'Snuffy Rowleys', he sold everything under the sun, from 'potmenders' to 'Fennings little healers', in the late forties, early fifties I fetched my dads' sporting buff and 10 woodbines from Ernies, he also sold an amazing range of snuff and tobacco, it was dead opposite the post office and Mountfords' cake shop.
I remember Ernie Rowley's shop. My dad used to work up the road from the shop at williams's waste. I never liked going in there as he scared me, as did his wife (who looked like she needed a shave). Never liked the smell either.

Hi Bazzm & Morturn
I put this one on, as i wonderd if you may have popped in here for a drink.

Image12_Church_Tavern_Lichfield_Rd.jpg

Stars
Spent many lovely friday night in there when they used to have a reggae night. They were great times in waterworks street & in the church tavern. I miss those days, but seeing photo's like this, those wonderful memories come flooding back. Thank you stars for sharing & helping me remember the good aston times.

My father had his factory on Litchfield , road Williams brothers / Falstaff house made sliver plated item cutlery ect .
I used to work at your dad's factory for a few years, (if I remember rightly, it was around 1972). If my memory serves well, it was called A J Williams, (some called it Falstaff's). Really loved working there, & loved the Christmas parties every year. There were 2 sisters who worked there with me, & they lived just off Gravelly hill. I fancied one of them, but spent a lot of time with her sister. My mum used to have a few of the money boxes & christening beakers when I worked there. Sadly lost them when she passed away.

Last edited:
My father had his factory on Litchfield , road Williams brothers / Falstaff house made sliver plated item cutlery ect .
Hello Skellyele. I used to work at Falstaffs when I lived in Waterworks Street. I was a packer. Really loved my job there & enjoyed the christmas parties that was arranged every year. I can remember 2 sisters who worked with me. They came from Erdington. I can still remember their names (which is surprising, as it has been such a long time ago). Their names was Elaine & Jackie White. I fancied Jackie, but apparently Elaine fancied me. Oh how I miss those days.

Not in Lichfield Rd, but my wife used to work at Repco which was down a road off it. May have been Waterwork Rd or Aston Hall Road. Long time ago, as they were building Spaghetti at the time. Probably around 1968.
Hello Zambodini. It must have been Aston Hall Road, as in Waterworks Street, there was just houses, with a couple of shops, including a chippy, though I lived in waterworks street & worked in Priory Road, I do not recall ever seeing the name Repco, I was liveing in Waterworks Street around this time.

Hi Michael, it could have been Priory Road. Repco Engineering was the full name. They had a creche where my wife worked. She said they could see the workmen on the start of Spaghetti, I guess where it joins with the Expressway.

Hi Michael, it could have been Priory Road. Repco Engineering was the full name. They had a creche where my wife worked. She said they could see the workmen on the start of Spaghetti, I guess where it joins with the Expressway.
Hello Zambodini. I vaguely remember seeing the name Repco engineering down Priory road. I worked at the Hermetic Rubber company with my uncle. Been such a long time ago, my memory is not as good as it used to be. Sadly, only certain places I do remember well.

There was a Fredrick Smith’s and Sons Brewery in Lichfield Rd Aston. My mother and Aunt worked there in the offices. As women they were never allowed into the Brewery. When it closed my Mother was given her typewriter and many items . She will be 91 soon and still has items such as beer mats, ashtrays and playing cards all with the Smiths trademark on. They also had a chain of pubs around Birmingham. I will ask her about this and can add more info later.

My Mom is having a sort out and she is looking for a book she has about Smith’s Brewery . It closed down in 1957 if we find it I will let you know

There was a Fredrick Smith’s and Sons Brewery in Lichfield Rd Aston. My mother and Aunt worked there in the offices. As women they were never allowed into the Brewery. When it closed my Mother was given her typewriter and many items . She will be 91 soon and still has items such as beer mats, ashtrays and playing cards all with the Smiths trademark on. They also had a chain of pubs around Birmingham. I will ask her about this and can add more info later.

wow amanda how wonderful that your mom still has so many items from her time working at smiths they are worth hanging onto...would love to see them as and when time permits...thanks

lyn

Would love to show them to you once the lockdown is lifted. I am not sure how to post a private message. So when I can I will take some photos and put the on here. She also has an evening mail clipping of her cycling to work and the hoses from the fire service after a bombing raid so might be of interest .

iddled a bit. It could almost be Barbers Tea, but don't think the Tea is right. The lower word could be cafe. The Ansells building is their wine & spirits dept at no 192. Looking in the 1940,1949 and 1955 Kellys, there is no cafe at no 176 (the building where the wall with the sign is)

lichfield road ansells part.jpg

mike i meant the ghost sign on the side of the ansells building..my fault for not making that clear

lyn

Back