• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

HI BOB ;
Yes i do indeed we lived directly across the rd facing them ; and greens the news agent was next door and we went on there one and only charabang
when they first got it ; we all at dyson hall hired that being the sunday school classses and most of the kids from the area
we went up the licky hills and did it not struggle up the hill but we made it there and back ; had a great day out ;
i went to a customers house afew months ago after we got chatting aston came into the conversation ;'
and it came about weused to know each other when we was kids and her husand they are both from sandy lane just around the corner from dyson hall
we used to walk down the rd in a group ; her name was pearl and peter ; i have met her at afew concerts as she his also a line dancer and introduced to my wife ; after that first outing it was not to long before clari ; got a couple more but of better standards and they extented there yard into the back way into wainwright street which used to be a builder merchants tard you could walk through there yard and two petrol pumps when you crossed the rd to them or greens
news agents or get of the bus or tram as it was then if you lived in wainwright st just walk through ther instead of walking to the corner of portland street
to walk around into wainwright street as it was a short cut ; best wishes bob ; andall ;;; astonian;;

Hello I'm new here, trying to find out about Lichfield Road, on her Death Certificate 1905, my grandmother died listed at 335 Lichfield but I can't find it, wondering if it was part of the Workhouse or Hospital??

Welcome altorec. I am sure someone on the forum has the information you are looking for?. I don't remember the mention of a workhouse in the road though. Bob I do remember the coach company. Jean.

hi jean ;
the only place i can think of was the old beer cmpany which was both sides of the lichfield rd for the love nor money i just cannot think of the dammed name at the moment as you walked down lichfield rd passing the old post office there was a dpot both sides of the rd both had wide exits i can only presume in 1905 thats where it was either the work house or a small hospita; but quite clearly in the twentys and upwards it all moved
and this liqiuor company took it over i used to go there regular to this company in the three weeler van to pick up the supplys for all the cateringvenues the jelfs had for the gpo and the city corporation andchampayne for the high societys in brum partys
its the only place ican think of as possiblitity
still may be mike can dig a map out or some think on this one best wishes jean ; a;lan ;; astonian;;

I am sure Mike will have a map tucked away somewhere Alan for altorec to look at. Best wishes to you too Alan.

Altorec

In 1903, 335 Lichfield Rd was listed as John Shelly Dining Rooms, it was just adjacent to Victoria Wharf.

Thanks folks, this has turned out to be quite a mystery as I had assumed 335 Lichfield was a residence, but started wondering when I could not find it. Perhaps it was a Hotel? Margaret Rushbrook(e) nee Pinkerton was widowed in 1891 and in 1905 when she died had 5 children living, one of whom (different addy) was death informant, and at age 42 in1907 he married. If the dates don't sound right, my Dad was her youngest child, and 62 when I was born !!

335 lichfield Road Aston is now the address of the Holborn Waste Company.It is possible that there were houses on the site before the war and these houses may well have suffered bomb damage and been destroyed.

Below is a map c 1904 (probably actually about 1900) showing buildings in that area. no 335 was one of the pirple buildings, almost certainly one of the ones nearest the church. Cannot get any closer
Mike

map_c_1903A_houses_around_335_lichfield_rd.jpg

good mornin phil
bang on target ; when you said about the wharf because mal was on about holborn waste they never came around to the late seventy or eightys as i recall them ; came down from around holborn hill as a kid all thekids used to trap aroundknocking doors for old news papers as you will probaly recall your self ; but i have put my mind back to when i was a kid along the rd from there when i was born and lived and played as a nipper
in the days of the trams when they was rife and emediately the wharf came to mind ;there was an inlet of the cannal that came down that far
there was a big building of some sort but i cannot think what it was it had a high wall going along on the frontage and two huge gates
further along there was some small little houses ; mike mentionion the church what church would he have meant ;
because aston parish church is a good walk away from that lichfield rd but there again as you say the wharf was 355 but surelky going back that far
the building numbers would have been different compared todays if you like ;
so going on shellys rooms and the wharf i would have to agree with you ;indeed ; but at least you have confirmed to me about the wharf i recall frommy kiddays
after all i did wal that way every morning before goingto school [ the infants of upper thomas street ; pushing the post mans bike and delivering some through doors for him before dashing back up the lchfield rd at 5/92 lichfield rd ;to go to school the more i now vizulize it as to be where the wharf is and shelleys grt work and thanks to mike forhis assitance on this forum and i hope alrtec is happy best wishs astonian;

The buildings on the map are these shown in this picture, the newsagents is Snuffy Rowleys, the 'church' is Lichfield rd Methodist hut, opposite Sutherland street, in the middle was William's coal wharf that backed onto the canalimg655.jpg

The newsagent was 329 Lichfield Road, so 335 must be the last but one of the coloured block going north.

Hi Mike, this area brings back lots of memories, in the 40s, I lived on Lichfield rd and went to Sunday school in the Methodist hut, I have searched for ages for a picture of it, but to no avail, we also had our coronation party in the hut.

aston 001a.jpg

Hi Folks.

Attach map of area in question.

Furrher information:-

Swan & Mitre 305 Lichfield Rd

Next door Aston Station Stores Lewis A Yerrington 305a Lichfield Rd.

Next door to that was Wholesale & retail Tobacconists Ida MaY Bayliss 307-311 Lichfield Rd.

H Isley's Coal Merchants 437 Licfield Rd.

Some time ago somebody was askingfor details of Pawnbrokers in Lichfield Rd.

I've found 2 William Turner 276 lichfield Rd & John Cartwright Roberts 136 Lichfield Rd.

I've found about 30 in the Aston Area interesting how people had to live on tick with very little in way of benefits

Ray

Astonian, the brewery you are thinking about is/was Smiths, can't recall the full name, but going towards Aston Station it was on the right hand side of Lichfield Road just before the Swanpool.

Hi Ray:

It's amazing to read that there were at least 30 Pawn brokers in the Aston area years ago. On the other hand, it was a way of life for
many people back then as there were very few social services. I remember the pawnbrokers in High Street, Aston above the Barton's Arms.
The shop had the classic three brass balls outside.

Hi Jenny.

Clements William Biddle 188 high Street Aston
Carter Langdon & Co Ltd 81-83 New Town Row
Arthur Edward Pawson 7 Alma Street
Arthur Victor Spilsbury 264 New Town Row
Miss Annie Trobridge 12 New Street Aston
Mrs Pheobe Levy92/94 New Town Row
Pawson's 69/71 High Street Aston
Biddles 188 High Street Aston

I wonder if done a tour to get the best bargain, like we do today round the Supermarkets?.

Ray

Hi Ray:

It's amazing to read that there were at least 30 Pawn brokers in the Aston area years ago. On the other hand, it was a way of life for
many people back then as there were very few social services. I remember the pawnbrokers in High Street, Aston above the Barton's Arms.
The shop had the classic three brass balls outside.

Re Lichfield Road - thanks for all your help, as I am in West Coast Canada I'm 8 hours behind you lot ! As she had 5 children living, including my Dad, I can't think that she would have been in Workhouse, possible a Hospital, I will have a good look round this site as have some more Rushbrooks to trace. Anybody know anything about Stafford Lunatic Asylum? thanks so much

Back