• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

jean my name is Peter Rankin I was the goalkeepe,r peter piper was my pal and played half back in the same side and worked in the bottling plant, sadly he died some years ago aged only forty nine years

good lord that is amazing, we moved from 41 church street in town to 5/92 my mom beryl my brother ken and my gran as my dad was in the army royal warwicks and was posted to aden, we stayed and moved in with my gran,I remember carol gammige and her sister janet,carol went out with charlie cockerell a guy who was a great deal older than her every one commented on it, we shared the same toilet up the yard with jenny gough who I met again years later in lichfield, colin gaskin was a pal of my brother ken, colin joined the army i think and ken joined the navy finishing up on the old ark royal as a petty officer first class, I have to say reading your post has brought some wettness to my eyes I am not ashamed to say god bless ya.

mal I dont know if you got my reply, but yes I remember the shop as my mate at school mike prince his dad had the electricians shop nearby, H.J.PRINCE, opposite albert robothams the barbers I used to get my hair cut there for threepence, it was next door to the music shop, I bought my first music book there bert weedons guitar book, ended up playing a sax in a band years later, funny old world innit.

hi rank ;
many thanks for getting back to me so soon it was great to hear from you ; firstly colin and myself was best mates from the age of i surpose five years
old and even after we left the terrace i kept in touch with col; and to tell you we both enlisted to the forces the same day at charles street ;
col ; followed his dads foot steps and his uncles he went to the tank regiment and i went in the royal waricks regiment ;
we signed together and we still met up later in the barracks of wittington in lichfield ; i l would dearly love to catch up with again after all these years
i have tryed numerous times on here but failed to make contact even trye to contact his sisters one was sandra and she worked at the HP sauce factory ; als i would dearly love to meet up with jenny gough she was my child hood sweet heart ;we was always together until we left and broke contact
but then i got wind of her as her nan ; told my mother that jenny s getting married at aston parish church
so i went like the clappers from ladywood to aston and i stood back looking over the wall and was quite saddend she loked gorgous as usall
and i must admitt i was abit gutted i know the kid she married may be you know him as wel is name was colin fisher from up the next entry to thompsoms weall all went to school together colin had a nervous switch with his head but they looked happy whilst i was sad ; whilst i was watching i noticed she had clocked me from afar ;and i gave her a hand up to her ;she smiled ; i used to work with colins dad at tubes he was th senior forman along with bazzm on here another great guy whom i am longing to catch up but wedo email each other ;
regarding carol we was all surprizes to learn she was pregnant to be honest elsie her self did not see it coming nor did carol she never relised she was pregnant; all he terace was twitting over carol andnot knowing she was pregnant her self they was saying how stupid she was for a girl not to know she was pregnant ;
as i said all those kids and the familys of the rerace we started to talk at five years old and all the family supportated each other
regarding that up the yard toilet and the old brew house is another story still i bet of get of the line for now pete; hope you keep imn touch
best wishes astonian;; alan;;

Peter Peter remembers Peter Piper as he too was in the bottling room for a while. Do you remember Spider or John Smith?. There is a thread on Ansells I will see if I can find it as I am going off the topic of Lichfield road and there are names and people on there I am sure you will remember. Jean.

hi mal ;
If i remember correctly that corner cafe was previuosly the old bike shop on the corner which set up as a cafe and they had curtains all around he windows
it looked like a very homely little cafe and across the rd was the bee hive cafe but getting back to your cafe ; it was the old bike shop and it had a great big penny farhing bike standing out side the shop along with other moderen day bikes of that era ;; i also remember your radio shop ;
and the wine shop and the dolls hospital ; to be very honest i can recall virtualy all the shops down to the resser and the little shop that was on the
bridge at salford can you ;along with the tram termisus and the big round about turn table for the trams to head back to the city centre and the day the tram came offf he tracks and the day the pig which was one of many times eluded on many a days and the lads from thompsoms persued down as far as the old pdsa ;
icidently the next door neibour jackie when she was young and came down to brum all those years was her first job in brum working there as she tells i was born at 5/92 lichfield rd; next to astons the cake shop and thomsons and a mrsbarnes ran the shop at the bottom of the yard and as kids rank ; all us kidsplanted the garden bushes of privettein that garden ;the one next to tromans ; she gave us all the whole of seven kids from the terrace and i can name them all
with the orinional OXO tin ; full with conkers ;way back in the early forties ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;

Welcome Peter (Rank). I hope you have kept well since i last saw you almost 50 years ago.
Here are a few pictures of Lichfield Rd that have appeared on The Forum in the past,but may have disappeared when the forum was hacked.Moss

Attachments

• Lichfield Rd corner of Avenue Rd looking towards Aston Cross.jpg
    Lichfield Rd corner of Avenue Rd looking towards Aston Cross.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Lichfield Rd,Aston..bmp
    1 MB · Views: 94
  • Lichfield Rd,Aston.next to Swanpool.jpg
    Lichfield Rd,Aston.next to Swanpool.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Lichfield Rd.Aston.-1.jpg
    Lichfield Rd.Aston.-1.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 127
I used to go to Alberts for my hair cuts.My dads shop was just above the barbers shop next door to Bert Pittaway's fishing shop.I well remember the stench from the vehicle that used to deliver the maggots.Our shop was an old pub that was being used by a manufacturing opticians called Brush and Denny.

moss thanx for the pics I am keeping ok hope you are to, where did we meet? did we play for aston manor boys club together?

thanx for the pic astonite, I remember the wax singeing candels that he use to use for the hairline at the back and sides, god so dated now.

Albert Robotham (pronounced Rowbottom) was one of three barbers, there was his son and a bloke called Richard Shook, who was an ex army barber in my opinion, as the only style he knew was 'short back and sides', having your hair styled into a 'Boston' was all the rage and the singe at the back finished it off, it was Albert who informed me at 16 that I would lose my hair later in life, I was quite upset at the time but he was right and I started to go bald in my late thirties.

We called shop the Pop Inn my dad was C E Tomlinson.The business failed when the construction of spaghetti junction took away most of his trade.

guys use to come in to alberts to buy durex for the weekend, they was wrapped in a fine brown and purple paper then, bout a shilling I think they was mal or do you know different, ha ha

Back