• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Hi stars
yes i too have to congratulate you for digging out these gracking pic i can relate a story to almost every one of them ;
of every indivisual one of the lichfield rd where i was born ; one from old matty and the shot of the pub and the shop which was old barnes and you see the privett of her shop which also displays a street hoarding on the wall well thats cromwell terrace
and that hoarding is in my best mates garden the gaskins number 1 of the terrace and where pamula gaskin was born along
with colin her brother and next to that the little white pic was astons the cake shop
and of course thompsons the butchers which goes with the storys i have previous gous over the years they was orinated in black paintfor years so that must be in the seventies that one and robbos the veg and the other stores
and the aquatic shop just pass aston station and lovers walk and the just showing of the car sales which later packed up and became a tyre sales the name at this moment escapes me but one ofmy old friend phill sollis used to work there in his younger d he would be l
karl sollis dad whom as just been on the forum a couple of weeks ago and trace the faces uncle
i could go on but i will be all night ; any more ; so if you have please let us have them ; astonian

Hi Astonian
It makes it all worth while, sorting through photos and reposting when people as your self tell us your memories. I almost took that walk with you down the Lichfield Rd.
while writing this, the phone rang and i have just been informed that i have become a gr Grandad.

Stars

Hi Stars thanks for taking me down memory lane and congrats at being a great grandad, brings back thoughts of when i was a lad, always in the pet shop with nearly all the kids in the area, well done again
dave

Thanks you for posing these stunning pictures, I try to describe Lichfield Road to my wife, who is a Barnsley wench, just how it used to be.

All those little and very personalised shops, cafes and pubs. The enamel signs, the street vending machines. Side streets with rows upon rows of houses, entry's and alleyways.

Not forgetting of course all those people; to me it always seems busy with people going about their business; a warmth, friendliness and a welcome. People would say 'morning'; I still do, they look surprised, and then respond in a way as if they had almost forgotten, this is what we used to do.

Now if I walk there, it feels like a desolate wasteland, deserted, empty cold and uncomfortable.

Is this the way it was, or is this just me reconstructing the past in a way I would like to remember it?

Last edited:
Great photos. I remember looking at the shops, cafes and pubs whole stuck in traffic jams every day on the 66 going home to Erdington.
Lichfield road is lifeless now.

Hi mort;
yes indeed it was the way of the aston and brummie people through out this grand city of ours
we had nothink but we had our manners ; and warth to offer people and we would take them in and give them shelter
especialy the the birmingham people good hard working folk and had time for people
today if you got yourself a good neibour its wrth there weight in gold
astonian ;;;

Hi mort;
yes indeed it was the way of the aston and brummie people through out this grand city of ours
we had nothink but we had our manners ; and warth to offer people and we would take them in and give them shelter
especialy the the birmingham people good hard working folk and had time for people
today if you got yourself a good neibour its wrth there weight in gold
astonian ;;;

Very wise words there Alan, thank you.

PS don't forget about that walk down the Droitwich Canal we need to do.

hi mort ;
no; i have not forgtton still think of wondering when to do it and to arrange a day thats possible for you
i pass the hanbury wharf regurlar and i always think of our planned walk ;i myself cannmeet any day you choose;
best wishes alan ; astonian

A couple more to ponder over

I have dropped in here once or twice

Image12_Transport_cafe_Lichfield_Rd_Aston_1965.jpg

Perhaps you may have shopped here.

Image10_Lichfield_Rd_Aston_1954.jpg

Regards Stars

it's amaz ing how the memories come flooding back,i remember being stroppy with my late mom as she made me go shopping
along lichfield road,i was stamping and sulking so she warned and warned but i didn't listen next minute my cheek stung,it wasn't the slap that upset me it was the fact the traffic was passing and i could see drivers laughing at me oh the humiliation lol,another time our female dog shandy gave us a laugh we lived in vine street and our cat was pinned against
the wall by a neighbors german sheperd well shandy was only little so she shot underneath him and bit he ran squeeling and a couple of men at lakes factory even crossed their legs.

although not my stamping ground stars thats a cracking pic of the station stores...its another one of those that hits the spot with me even though its hard to explain just why...thank you debs for your memories..wonderfu stuff.

thanks again

lyn

It is a pleasure and thank you for your comments. here are some re-post that went missing.
I have tinkerd with them a bit before re-posting to enhance them.

Lichfiled2520St252025202520Ol__.jpg
LichfieldRd2.jpg

LichfieldRd1.jpg

All the best Stars

I had my first tape recorder TK20 GRUNDIG from the WE BUY ANY THING shop on Lichfield Road 15th Birthday present form my mom & dad. (still havew it in my loft)

Back