• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI EVERYBODY
Do Any Of You Fishing Guys Ever Recall the Salford Coffee Bar
On Lichfeild Rd Oppersite The Reservoir.
And is shop window signs
Don,t Go
Angling and wait for a Bite
Call At The
Salford Coffee Bar
And Have One
Lichfield Road Aston
Our Tea Is Always Fesh Made
-------------
No Urns Used
--------------
Billy Hill [ head Quarters Of The Salford Cafe Angling Society. [ AFFILIATED
To The BAA ]

Astonian us gals went fishing too. I used to fish the resa and remember the cafe although I never went in the place. Was there a fishing tackle shop close by do you know?. Jean.

That's the one John. Pete used to go there and to the cafe as a teenager. He said when he went for maggots he would take his oxo tin and get a good deal. His brothers would look after the tackle while Pete fetched the sarnis as he called them. He couldn't remember the name of the cafe though. Jean.

HI JEAN
i hope you was not thinking i was being sexist, i do no that was a large number of woman was fishing in them days infact i would say there are even more now than the old days you know what i mean [ womans lib and all that today ] the modern women i think they call them selfs , what do you say .and i do recall the tackle shop on the bridge i used to get my maggots there as well
i used to go with my cousin tony jones from catherine street aston
old bill done some cracking sandwiches have a nice day jean
best wishes astonian ,

Of course I didn't it's my not very good sense of humour. Funny I used to go fishing with a friend from Caroline street a Jackie Jennings. Maybe your cousin would remember the family. Jean.

Hi Astonian
Just found these photos, gt grandad from the court, Lichfield
Road and grandad, his son, on a day out fishing
Denise

I used to fish at Salford, but moreso at Brookvale. I used to get my Maggots on Lichfield Road.

Those pictures tell a story dont they. No trappings of comfort like todays fishermen who sit in comfy chairs with all their bits and peices close at hand.

We still do a bit in the summer but my love of the sport started at Salford park. Never too old. Jean.

Unfortunately Balrog I don't know where my gt grandad and grandad went fishing, as you say definately no home comforts. Our eldest son sometimes fishes down on the Severn nearwhere we live, can get some good catches but they are usually full of - ugh
Denise

This is Steve one of our twins with his first fish. He looks so proud. They used to come with us to the reser in their pushchairs. Jean.

i spent many hours fishing in salford park.with my bamboo and safety pin rig rod the reel held on with the rubbers off wights lemonade bottles.made by my dad,bless him.and i got just as many fish.as the man next to me with his all singing and dancing gear. lol. happy memories

Your tackle was posher than mine as I had a bent nail for the hook until some kind person put me right. I like you caught as many well more actually than them and of course I got hooked. Mom never knew when I first went them was I in for it AGAIN. Jean.

jean.i had that rod for years.the hooks were from a shop down the bottom of long acre.cant remember the name.my pitch was by the boat house.there i got a lot of perch.since the i have loved fishing,you would say i am hooked on it lol

G G Jean Yes there was afishing tackle shop same side as cafe but nearer aston station cannot think of the name although PITTAWAYS RINGS A BELL

Cookie Pete said that name does not come to mind. There was a Greenaway fishing tackle shop and there are still a couple about today. Jean.

G G Jean, THats it, Greenaway ( I kew it ended "away"), I was not a fisherman myself but I lived in nearby Queens Rd and spent a lot of my time at the rezza, as we called Salford Park

Back