• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Road Aston

Ray, just been speaking to my sister in law and she is convinced Sunny Side terrace was located between Aston station and King Edward pub and was still standing in the '50's. They left in 1933 and she was born 1935 in Vicarage Road. Perhaps Mike can help out with a suitable map?? Eric

They started to demo those handful of courts around 1952/3
They started the demo of those little shops on the cross first and built there new Ansells
Block of offices 1950/1 with new logo sign above before demolishing along Lichfield road
Then they started to knock down a batch of shop facing the Aston cross picture house
And included the courts and terraces right up to the corner of upper Portland street
And dear old Mr mattys radio and television shop
We did at one time had pictures of these courts on this forum over ten years ago
By 1955 the complete section of Ansells frontage was complete along the Lichfield road
Even the side entrance in upper Portland street with there new Pitt for keeping there call
Init must have been about a fifty feet or more drop they had a steel ladder to get down to the bottom
And to climb back up the had the over head crane with bucket to pick it up and transfers it to feed there boilers or generators or what they ever used within the brewery
My friend col gaskin and myself was a pair of little mischiefs kids and bored
We would jump of this parapet and and drop hundred of feet into this slag heap nobody
Ever seen us wall,king into that yard we dared each other to see whom is the braveist
But we both done it together by golly we was a pair of crazy kids then
Our little bodies sank into the coal we was panicking and looking up all the time
In case that huge shovel came down on us we forced our way across to the Steel ladder and climb up
There was a hut over the back of the yard which would have been a gate keeper
Whom would log the horses and carts and there new vehicles in and out
But most times he was never in his hut there is also pictures of the new yard being built
And you would had seen this little wooden hut in the back ground
I hope our friend can get these oic on for us
On the subject of terrace there was one court yard left just yards passing mattys
And one of our members grand father lived up there and we lived up the terrace another forty yards passing
That court yard it was called Cromwell square /terrace
And there is a book out some where its called some think like the courts or some think
But our friend on the forum her grand father whom like his tots of beer was always in there
He was a nice old gentleman getting on in age at the time as his wife
And there court was virtually next door to the pub called the widows arms and she would come down and draft him out of it we used to laugh at them seeing his wife draft him back to the house
And this was photographed in this book with his name included as well so I knew it was them
The book had there court in the book as well it showed you right up it
And the ringer for washing was always kept out side the house as they was only tiny house
But I have vowed to them I will hunt this book down
May I had before some one says different about the widows arms it changed it name in 1955/6
To the queens head along with the cross guns changed as well the akinson pub on Lichfield road the next pub from the widows best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,
L

Hi Folks
Just been viewing a 1920 map Lichfield Roads and show Public House on the corner of Lichfield Rd and Church Rd,Anybody which knew as Jeff's Café.

Anybody have any idea what the name was?

Ray

Hi Mike
Thanks very much for that info, the times I've walked past Jelfs Café, it was obvious when you look at the outside it must have been something other than a shop

Hi Caroline
What a cracking picture you have provided to the forum,as that is my family,s tree
It was my mothers family whom everybody knows was the Jelfs coffee rooms
I am feeling Estatic now I have seen this cracking picture of the flag ship of there business
And I am going to down load it and have it blown up and I will be circulating it around my brothers
Its a dammed shame that my mother was around today to see it
They was all around the area with there shops even along around the corner on Aston road north
And across over to park lane just passed the chemist there was four shops
They had orinioanaly there father set up there business,s for all of them
They bought the shops one was a chippie directly next door was a big coffee shop
With bed and board lodging for several people and down the yard between the two shops was a huge
Yard that you drove down contained one single dwelling rented to a Mrs Mac
One two story ware housing two work shops and sheds
Plus the other side of the park lane facing 235 was little Cyril a little blonde hair chap
Which was another chippie facing them they owned and sold it off to little Cyril
They used to wave to each other during shop hours especially lunch time when they was open
It was next to the billiard hall my dad used to run the bar there in his younger days
As he also did all the pub land lords for all the pubs around the cross and Aston road north
Whilst running the pub for the Dodds Family my mother told us of the story that whilst
Working at the Golden cross she caught him snogging Mrs Dodd she went bar my at him
And and one in the billiard hall I think he must have been a player in is life
The sad thing she never went out all her life stuck with ten nippers in the house
They had them in the city arcades along with Joe Lyons and there waitress staff was dressed like Lyons staff as well
They was heavenly involved connections with pattison and Hughes whom they mixed up with
And they bought one or two shops off them even the senior Mr Hughes of the partnership of Pattison and. Hughes
When she was young Asked her to marry him he kept pestering her but declined
And decided to run off with a no hoped father like mine
Still that's another story .,but I will say what I can recall my mother was a good looking young lady when she was young
Incidently that shop was owned and ran by all the five members of the held family
There was one name bill, ie, William Jelf,
Whom could not handle business so my grand father my mothers daughter mother
Bought it off him and ran it for a while one by one he bought there shops and eventually
Sold them off in order to keep up his life style with different hangers on in women
But he sold that particular shop showing to Latham's decorating shop
And area layers sold the other three across on park lane all except the crockery hire business
At the great of 235/7 park lane in 1969 where upon he died at moms house in Victoria red Aston
Where upon it took him forty years to crawl back to her and knock the door for forgiveness
For deserting her and she took him in and died six months later
Thanks again Carolina for the picture best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Hi mike and ray and Carolina
Firstly Carolina thanks for posting yet again,
And yes mike and ray,I would certainly like to know what the original premises was before my great
Grand father bought the premises way back before the war years as I am told possibly
During around 1925 I think it was Charles the oldest son whom bought it then it was sold to Arthur
For donkeys years during war years the side premise went way back to the number eight
Bus stop facing the golden cross where my old man started when he was fourteen years old
Until he was 42 years old to death in 1959
It had upstairs business and a ajoing storage and ware houseAttachement
Its a pity my mother is not around today other wise she could tell us what is was she was around as a child
And brought up in Parliament street the others had there shops further down by nechells and
Charles another one where he lived in Alma street with a bookie And coffee shop
So if you can spare time mike or have access to the records like ray I would dearly love to know
What it was prior to that coffee shop and b/b I do know lathams decorating business
Bought it from then
Have a nice day guys because I cannot get out I only came out of Hospital yesterday
After having a huge fall down a flight of two stairs best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,

Hi stars
What a walk down memory lane for me indeed it seemed like yesterday to me
Good picture of robbos fruit and veg and all the other shops along there
The two shops on either side of robbos was the one before him was Mr dents hardware
The one after robbo,s was diggers news agents spent loads of tanners in there
Buying there marbles 6d a netted bag to take to school if he sold out dashed down further along
To the corner toy shop at the end of the shop
S and the corner of Victoria road was Mr Taylor and bought from him
Took them to school upper Thomas street the same day and came back with nil ,
I was skunked as the lingo went when you cleared some one out ( Meaning you won all there marbles of the kid you was playing
Some kids looked for a slight groove in the school playground tarmac and you would line three up at a time
A
And so any steps back from your marbles the kid you are playing would stand back,
And he would try three shots at yours for everyone he missed you claimed his marbles
Buy if he kissed any one of your marbles meaning knocking or touching any one marble they was his your three you put down
Some played the six marbles I played cautionly stuck to the three but still lost them all
And regarding thompsons shop the gates you see I was a little kid aged 6 years old
And for the next couple of years I would roam down the terrace which if you look at another of your pics
Just next to thomsons was Aston,s Cake shop you will see a gap where they demoed them down first
Meaning the houses between the two shops throne was Barnsley's grocers
But back on track the gates you see with the bars on the bottom set of bars on there gates I sat down there day and night from dawn to dusked
All the guys whom always used to shout and talk to me whom worked there even peter thompson
And the slaughter men I there say there could be some one alive today may recall the little blonde hair
Kid squatting on the pavement I had a fasication for waiting for the pigs to come to there shop and watching the port pie trolly coming up and down.
On a chain, and there is alot of things I could say about the whole complex of Lichfield red
That was my kingdom when I got older I used to get up early and push the postmans bike up and down the whole of Lichfield red
All the way down to the kingedwars pub Aston hall red and post letters through all the houses and the shops then he said you had better go home now son and get ready for school and so I ran all the way back and put on my mail tree chtrismas boots
As I said I have a great memory of growing up in Aston, and as mom was an Aston girl
Parliment street and all her family of jelfs owning all the cafes and business in and around the city
She was well known because of her parents family still I will not waffle on otherwise I will never finish
But its great you can supply us all members some of our old pictures of Lichfield red
Incidentialy my aunt Maud smart from Whitehouse street worked at the Astotpria picture house on the cross so I used to her in free to see films
And when I was nine I got knocked down outside there on a saturday afternoon
And went sky diving back up the road through the air when the car it me my old man was working
At the golden cross pub ( Head barman ) that time for the Dodds Family best wishes Astonian,,,,Alan,,,,,,
Hi Lyn.
I think your memory might be playing trick with you.

The corner of Lichfield Rd & Victoria Rd. was Gregory's ladies & gents outfitters it was empty for a long time, next was Taylors the toy shop then a confectionary shop then a butchers I think it was Robinson's and some where about here was Birds the fruit shop and the exchange and mart shop used to sell army junk.
Regards Ray

My late Wife worked for Eric Taylor in the late 50's, I remember Gregory's there was also an antique/junk shop I think by Taylors (this could be the Exchange and Mart shop Ray was referring to). Slightly of thread he sold us his mothers house when she died in Hillside road in 1961 we were there till 1987. I remember the butchers, my Wife often called in there after leaving the shop. Happy days !! Eric

Hi Lynn
I cannot see why he means me when he directed to you
Getting mixed up or confused about Lichfield road
There was no think I put out of order I can tell you shop by shop and the named tennance
Of all the entry and opening on Lichfield road and for the flower girl whom it took me some years to track down
The name of the family whom actually bought grand fathers shop
And my mother was told by her father Ernie that he sold the shop on Lichfield 139 to a relation
To another member of the family of jelfs which now many years later only to find he told her a lie
To her if only she knew then,
But getting back to Lichfield road and to Aston cross where are you ,are thinking its me
I can reel off all the way to Aston cross a d beyond Aston road north
And may I Add all I write is from memory and not taken from records or ledgers from the library records
I do not have any maps either like most people my memory are complete knowledge in my head
From reality of yester days life and living g in poverty
Ray you forgot to mention the church and the wine shop next door
And the crockery and China ware shop coming g up from the old junk shop with bits of milititry
And old uniform s the crockery and China shop kept a big China made bull in the window as well
If you have forgotten across the Lichfield road oppersite was two shops on the left hand side
Of the opening was two shops and the one was the coffee shop that was the coffee shop where he had the queens coronation party for the tennants of Cromwell terrace only in 1953
This family of the flower girl whom wrote her version on this forum lived local ,as I have found out
And they was of relatives to the jelfs as her father told her a little lie
And that gully you walk through brings you in to park street and the bottom of wainwright street
Best wishes as always my friends Alan,,Astonian,,,,

hi alan reason i think that rays post was meant for you was that on post 85 he quoted a post made by you and as i have no connection with this area i would not have posted about it...

all the best

lyn

Hi Folks
I apologise if I have offended anybody with regards to questions raised about the corner of Lichfield Rd and Victoria Rd.

I was born in this area and remember living through the WWll years, these days I expect that we would be labelled people living in poverty but we didn't think about we just got on with it.

What I've been doing the last few weeks using old records and maps is to try and build up a picture of what live really was to different residence in this area.

To give you idea of what I have found from these records it's as follows :-

I've used the 1939 as reference point for my analysis the reason being to try find out what was destroyed during bombing raids.

I have created lists of properties, the people who lived in them, what was the status, and occupations.

For the the whole of Lichfield Rd from Aston Cross to Salford Bridge, Church Lane, Sandy Lane ( I lived), Vine Street. Pugh Rd.
part only of Bottom of Victoria Rd, Church Rd. Park St. Portland, Wainwright St and Catherine St.

Very early result are very surprizing the large numbers of female widows probably after WWI, the number of wives bringing families up with no husband I can only assume they were in the forces.

The main employers was GEC, Dunlops and Hercules Cycles, with a few BCT workers and Council workers mainly labourers.

Skilled men wives tended not work but labourers wives assisted working in cleaning jobs and the like.

Some people might think I'm mad doing this research but I'm proud of my roots and what I achieve to make a better life, it seem that there was a lot of poor people living in this area who had very little, but what they had was always ready to share.

Having worked at the GEC the number people I have found who I knew or worked with their relatives of there's, families used to work at firms like this my parents, brother and uncle worked in different departments.

Even in 1939 women were doing jobs normally associated with men Capstan operators, Battery manufacturing, and of cause the ammunition industry.

I'm really enjoying looking at the past in Aston area but it's addictive and I can see me expanding my search further up towards Birmingham City Centre.

I thought I might like to share my thoughts with you may be you would like to input.

Regards to all Ray

Hi Lynn
I cannot see why he means me when he directed to you
Getting mixed up or confused about Lichfield road
There was no think I put out of order I can tell you shop by shop and the named tennance
Of all the entry and opening on Lichfield road and for the flower girl whom it took me some years to track down
The name of the family whom actually bought grand fathers shop
And my mother was told by her father Ernie that he sold the shop on Lichfield 139 to a relation
To another member of the family of jelfs which now many years later only to find he told her a lie
To her if only she knew then,
But getting back to Lichfield road and to Aston cross where are you ,are thinking its me
I can reel off all the way to Aston cross a d beyond Aston road north
And may I Add all I write is from memory and not taken from records or ledgers from the library records
I do not have any maps either like most people my memory are complete knowledge in my head
From reality of yester days life and living g in poverty
Ray you forgot to mention the church and the wine shop next door
And the crockery and China ware shop coming g up from the old junk shop with bits of milititry
And old uniform s the crockery and China shop kept a big China made bull in the window as well
If you have forgotten across the Lichfield road oppersite was two shops on the left hand side
Of the opening was two shops and the one was the coffee shop that was the coffee shop where he had the queens coronation party for the tennants of Cromwell terrace only in 1953
This family of the flower girl whom wrote her version on this forum lived local ,as I have found out
And they was of relatives to the jelfs as her father told her a little lie
And that gully you walk through brings you in to park street and the bottom of wainwright street
Best wishes as always my friends Alan,,Astonian,,,,

The Church you mentioned was the Wesleyan Chapel the crockery shops were split by the entrance to the church both shops owned by I think I was Heath's.
The shop over the road was Humphreys Cycle Shop owned by Thoms & Florie Humphrey daughter Betty used to work in the she was always a happy smiley very pleasant and the bank on the corner manager was George Steadman I think it was a Birmingham Municipal Bank.

Next The Bike shop was I think a café with a motor mechanics place up the side

Hi Ray, I worked in 2 of those companies you mentioned, GEC Witton in the drawing office when I left school in 1944, and later at Hercules Cycles (despatch dept) until I entered the RAF in 1948 . I was born in Queens Rd and after leaving RAF in 1956 lived for a time in a back to back in Vicarage Rd (opposite Aston Manor girls school) until we bought Eric Taylors Moms house in Erdington as already mentioned. Aston was indeed a wonderful place to live. Eric

Attached is a map c 1889 showing Cromwell Sq in red

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing Cromwell Sq. Lichfield Road.jpg
    map c 1889 showing Cromwell Sq. Lichfield Road.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 42
Hi ray Cromwell square/ terrace
Else trol roll years sgo as listed as square us natives called it the terrace
We lived at 5/92 Cromwell square
And it was next to Thompsons the slaughter house and there cooked meet shop
Along Lichfield rd there is a picture of Thompsons shop on the forum
Not the one on the Aston cross
Do you recall Mr Matty , mattys radio and television shop
Walk along from there for about 100 yards towards Aston station
From maths there was an old butchers shop when closed down it became an old junk shop
Bits of of old Taft never really open end often then there was a court opening
Then parks and Irish man general provision shop where you got your loose tea and the butter
Patted when you bought it he kept his cheese in wooden barralls
And the high wire from the counter to the back office to get you your change
Then it was the Widows Arms Pub Ansels then there was the barnns general shop
Then it was the square/terrace which at the bottom of the terrace was two high pillars
Of blue brick stacks with a huge ball of concrete on top of each other either side
And that was Cromwell square you can see by the map in red how mike as it coloured in
That it was how the terrace was a huge terrace and it went up an hill
There was twenty houses up there the red marks are because the houses was facing each other
And there was a path going up between the two row of houses
Top of the terrace one each side of the hill they had big gardens along with us ours was the only big garden lower down the half way mark we used to hold the terrace bonfires every year from all the neibours up that terrace
The fire would burn all night and mom done a hundred weight of spuds and. Chest nuts
For all the neibours come the Monday morning our dad used to five the bin men a good bung
To shift the mountain of Ash left
At the bottom of the terrace was Aston,s cake shop penny dripping and a bag of broken biscuits
Then there was Thompsons the butchers, it was a couple of nights ago I was looking at the picture
Of Thompson and when you look at the full picture you will see those gates where they drove the pigs up
Of the lorry some times twice a day and at that gates I was only five and six years old
I spent my day sitting there on the pavement on mybutt
I still was there up to the age of ten virtually every day, and the workers got to know me
Seeing me sitting there waiting for the pigs but not only that just inside those gates
There was a dumb waiter and it was laiden with pork pies and etc
I was fasicated by it and one day when some of the staff was having there holidays from work
One Friday evening I was sitting there as a nipper they was coming out
Of work I had been there most of the day staring through those gate
And when they came out I asked them where are you going they said we are going to the sea side
And one name Alan, said do you want to come I said yes ,and then he said okay
But you had better asked your mom so being little and never seen the sea I was excited I got up and ran as fast as I could up the terrace and dashed in to the house and shouted to my mom
She said do not be silly but any way I dashed back down the terrace and I seen them getting on the tram
Do you know peter Thompson whom worked in the shop whom I had not seen in twenty or more years
Later in erdinton shop they open end up I looked in the window and went in to buy
And it was peter whom recognised me from all those years he said hello
You was that little from the gates our old shop on Lichfield red I was amazed
But sadly on my next visit to Eddington the shop closed down
Sorry for rambli g on ray such memories I have of dear old Aston,
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Folks

Thank you both for the info, as soon as you said Thompson's Bingo.

I'm researching the area I've listed all building on the Lichfield Rd and who lived there and occupations.
I've got most of the 1939 list a few shop not known and I 'm putting the 1920 list on the side.

I'm surprized that not many still lived in houses in 1939.

I've been surprized that the 1939 doesn't seem to list all the rear homes behind 1 to 33 Lichfield Rd, in the 1920 it was a little hamlet of homes.

Some people will think I sad doing this but I'm Brummie and still remember the old days and they have magic all of their own, it really has been rewarding.

A lot of names my Gran used to talk about are coming to life.

I intend also listing Sandy Lane where I was born, Church Lane, Vine St. I've complete 1939 in these areas still a few gaps.

Regards Ray

Hi ray Cromwell square/ terrace
Else trol roll years sgo as listed as square us natives called it the terrace
We lived at 5/92 Cromwell square
And it was next to Thompsons the slaughter house and there cooked meet shop
Along Lichfield rd there is a picture of Thompsons shop on the forum
Not the one on the Aston cross
Do you recall Mr Matty , mattys radio and television shop
Walk along from there for about 100 yards towards Aston station
From maths there was an old butchers shop when closed down it became an old junk shop
Bits of of old Taft never really open end often then there was a court opening
Then parks and Irish man general provision shop where you got your loose tea and the butter
Patted when you bought it he kept his cheese in wooden barralls
And the high wire from the counter to the back office to get you your change
Then it was the Widows Arms Pub Ansels then there was the barnns general shop
Then it was the square/terrace which at the bottom of the terrace was two high pillars
Of blue brick stacks with a huge ball of concrete on top of each other either side
And that was Cromwell square you can see by the map in red how mike as it coloured in
That it was how the terrace was a huge terrace and it went up an hill
There was twenty houses up there the red marks are because the houses was facing each other
And there was a path going up between the two row of houses
Top of the terrace one each side of the hill they had big gardens along with us ours was the only big garden lower down the half way mark we used to hold the terrace bonfires every year from all the neibours up that terrace
The fire would burn all night and mom done a hundred weight of spuds and. Chest nuts
For all the neibours come the Monday morning our dad used to five the bin men a good bung
To shift the mountain of Ash left
At the bottom of the terrace was Aston,s cake shop penny dripping and a bag of broken biscuits
Then there was Thompsons the butchers, it was a couple of nights ago I was looking at the picture
Of Thompson and when you look at the full picture you will see those gates where they drove the pigs up
Of the lorry some times twice a day and at that gates I was only five and six years old
I spent my day sitting there on the pavement on mybutt
I still was there up to the age of ten virtually every day, and the workers got to know me
Seeing me sitting there waiting for the pigs but not only that just inside those gates
There was a dumb waiter and it was laiden with pork pies and etc
I was fasicated by it and one day when some of the staff was having there holidays from work
One Friday evening I was sitting there as a nipper they was coming out
Of work I had been there most of the day staring through those gate
And when they came out I asked them where are you going they said we are going to the sea side
And one name Alan, said do you want to come I said yes ,and then he said okay
But you had better asked your mom so being little and never seen the sea I was excited I got up and ran as fast as I could up the terrace and dashed in to the house and shouted to my mom
She said do not be silly but any way I dashed back down the terrace and I seen them getting on the tram
Do you know peter Thompson whom worked in the shop whom I had not seen in twenty or more years
Later in erdinton shop they open end up I looked in the window and went in to buy
And it was peter whom recognised me from all those years he said hello
You was that little from the gates our old shop on Lichfield red I was amazed
But sadly on my next visit to Eddington the shop closed down
Sorry for rambli g on ray such memories I have of dear old Aston,
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

I used to watch the pigs being bought in to be killed, do you remember the lovely tomato flavoured sausage meat roll in a ball flatten it and fry it lovely grub.

Did Matty's take over two shops and was there an entry between the two shops before the Widows on the map is some buildings up this alleyway.

When I've complete my list I'll post a copy of terrace 1920/1939

Regards Ray

Hi Folks

This a list people living in Cromwell Square in 1920 they numbered 1- 16 I'm trying to relate them to 1939 but they numbered different.
2bk92 =2/92 3=3/92, 4=4/92 5=5/92 6=6/92 7=9/92 8=8/92
can't relate 9-16 I presume they relate to ?/96 but which ? any ideas

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi ray
Nice to see you put the square up on electrol rolls
Firstly to put the record straight yes it was stevens at number five ,that is us
My parents first house we was all brought up there all except one, being the first child
He was at new canal street digbeth in there home and shop of my mothers family the jelfs
They apparently was both young couple,and she ran away from home after a court order
For him to stay away from him hence they got the house
I have two brother,s and one eldest sister born before me at that Address 5/92 Lichfield road
As I have said the first child died at 18 months old
On the listing you have seen and I have just read half of those residents have moved on by the year 1946
But not only that the dwelling house numbers was printed wrongly
As I was there in 1946 onwards here was the order of the family names
1.Sammy and Irene Gaskin,
2. The Jarratts,
3 The Bannisters whom had the writing on the wall in sea shells Jesus Saves,
4. The brants
5. Us, The stevens ,
6! Mr and Mrs Marshall
7 The Gammages related to the Youths
8 The seabournes ,we had access through there garden to get to the toilets
And the brew house boiler for rub a tub dolly washing,
9 The Sheldon's whom organised the queens coronation in junction with the jelfs and Brants
Who had a tea room down Portland street facing The Buttons Factory
10 , the craddocks
11 The Newman's
12 The Youths
13 The sharps
14 Lea Handily
16. The Trowmans first to get there colour TV in the terrace

Hi ray again
Yes there was two shops after Old Mr Mattys shop then there was an opening which in fact
Was a court and there was about eight little houses up there, and there is a lady member
On here this forum whom was her grand parents lived up there
And they kept a big old mangle right out side there front door for years
And I recall him very well with her grand mother dragging him out of the widdos
The old gaffer of the widows died he had one leg
And the Gammage,s grand father took it over Elsie gammage was her name she had a daughter
Named carol I think he was Albert gamage and related to the youths through Phillies
Handlrys and jattrets was related and
Astonian,,,,,

Hi ray
Nice to see you put the square up on electrol rolls
Firstly to put the record straight yes it was stevens at number five ,that is us
My parents first house we was all brought up there all except one, being the first child
He was at new canal street digbeth in there home and shop of my mothers family the jelfs
They apparently was both young couple,and she ran away from home after a court order
For him to stay away from him hence they got the house
I have two brother,s and one eldest sister born before me at that Address 5/92 Lichfield road
As I have said the first child died at 18 months old
On the listing you have seen and I have just read half of those residents have moved on by the year 1946
But not only that the dwelling house numbers was printed wrongly
As I was there in 1946 onwards here was the order of the family names
1.Sammy and Irene Gaskin,
2. The Jarratts,
3 The Bannisters whom had the writing on the wall in sea shells Jesus Saves,
4. The brants
5. Us, The stevens ,
6! Mr and Mrs Marshall
7 The Gammages related to the Youths
8 The seabournes ,we had access through there garden to get to the toilets
And the brew house boiler for rub a tub dolly washing,
9 The Sheldon's whom organised the queens coronation in junction with the jelfs and Brants
Who had a tea room down Portland street facing The Buttons Factory
10 , the craddocks
11 The Newman's
12 The Youths
13 The sharps
14 Lea Handily
16. The Trowmans first to get there colour TV in the terrace
Many thanks will sort it later

Do you have any details of the Name or Road nuber of the BIG Broom hardware shop between Aston Cross And Matty's

Back