• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

to me these photographs are priceless and i still have not had time to pour over them properly....compere them to todays lichfield road..no life..no smells...no sounds...utterley boring with the heart ripped out of it....

lyn

An amazing set of photos Lyn, there must be enough now for a virtual 'walk down Lichfield Road'.

yes john there must be....already posted earlier this photo shows 41 lichfield road which thanks to mike we now know it was at the corner with catherine st...here is the photo...mikes map and a link for street view showing what is there now

Lichfield Road No 41 Aston.jpgLICHFIELD ROAD MAP NO 41.jpg

Great photos Lynn. I remember the area from 1967 to 1973 when I worked in Thimblemill Lane at Radiation Gas Fires.
I used to park my first car in Bourne Rd as the staff car park was so small, I was always arriving to work just on time and running up the stairs of the office block to get to the clocking in machine before the time changed to red!!
Looking through the photos I was expecting perhaps to see my old car!
Its amazing that someone had the forethought to take these photos.
Thanks for all your effort.

The first picture is evocative of the age that it was taken, the tram two pre war cars and one post - war I think the Austin in the foreground, but most of all, the Electric Dustcart and the man on his bike and of course in black and white, you can almost feel the time when you look at it. Trams and electric dustcarts, erm......what goes around comes around, c'est la meme chose. Thanks for posting it.

Bob

hi my name is peter rankin I also lived at 5/92 lichfield road or cromwell square as it was also known in the fities with my gran harriet bannister who worked at buttons, my neighbours were mrs gough,mrs marshall mrs gamidge, the gaskin family, the tromans, it was at the back of thomsons the butchers and was very noisey, I used to go up the alley and watch them slaughter the pigs, I went to manor park junior school just at the side of ansells brewery then upper thomas street sec mod till the early sixties,you must have lived there in the late forties or early fifties before my gran
hi my name is peter rankin I also lived at 5/92 lichfield road or cromwell square as it was also known in the fities with my gran harriet bannister who worked at buttons, my neighbours were mrs gough,mrs marshall mrs gamidge, the gaskin family, the tromans, it was at the back of thomsons the butchers and was very noisey, I used to go up the alley and watch them slaughter the pigs, I went to manor park junior school just at the side of ansells brewery then upper thomas street sec mod till the early sixties,you must have lived there in the late forties or early fifties before my gran

hi rank i dont know if you are still looking in but if you do i have recently posted over 40 photos of lichfield road and if you go to post 210 it shows cromwell terrace or cromwell square as you knew it by..

lyn

The first picture is evocative of the age that it was taken, the tram two pre war cars and one post - war I think the Austin in the foreground, but most of all, the Electric Dustcart and the man on his bike and of course in black and white, you can almost feel the time when you look at it. Trams and electric dustcarts, erm......what goes around comes around, c'est la meme chose. Thanks for posting it.

Bob
Another interesting thing in this batch of photos is that the steel framework in this first photo can be seen two photos later as a completed building, complete with Ansells insignia. One car has a Warwickshire WD registration, the dustcart is FOA which was issued during WW2. Tram 692, in post 1946 livery is on Erdington route 2. The car entered service in 1924/5 and survived until 1952/3.

if we go back to post 183 photos 2 .3 and 4....they show a smaller ansells building ...does anyone know if this was actually part of the main ansells brewery which i think was further up the road ?? i just found it interesting

lyn

Travelling from Gravelly Hill to Aston, just as you go through the railway bridge. Was there a pub there just on the left. Can`t remember the name, but they had some good rock groups playing there, but oh so noisy for such a small place. Loved it though. Courted a girl just a bit further up in Vyse Street. I think she worked in Buttons?

Travelling from Gravelly Hill to Aston, just as you go through the railway bridge. Was there a pub there just on the left. Can`t remember the name, but they had some good rock groups playing there, but oh so noisy for such a small place. Loved it though. Courted a girl just a bit further up in Vyse Street. I think she worked in Buttons?

hi smudge i didnt realise there was a vyse street down that way...there was a vine st...i think buttons factory was in portland st actually it may still be there

lyn

Lyn
The buildings you refer to at 192 ~~Lichfield Road were originallly the bottling plant of Charles Heeley Lt, ale & porter bottlers (I think one of their major lines they bottles was Guinness). they were taken over by Holts in 1927, who themselves wer taken over by Ansells in 1934. I think ansells still used it as a bottling plant

if we go back to post 183 photos 2 .3 and 4....they show a smaller ansells building ...does anyone know if this was actually part of the main ansells brewery which i think was further up the road ?? i just found it interesting

lyn
Hi Lyn yes it was a part of Ansell it was used storage of bottle beer in crates

hi smudge i didnt realise there was a vyse street down that way...there was a vine st...i think buttons factory was in portland st actually it may still be there

lyn
Vyse Street was on the right just after the railway bridge ( coming from Gravelly Hill ) There was also a pub on the corner.

1) Holborn Paper was in Holborn Hill between Pub Swan & Mitre and the canal.
2) Scrap lorries are in Thimble Mill looking towards Holborn Hill Jnt.
3) Picture of Aston Railway Bridge isn't Church Rd jnt it's Holborn Hill
4) The picture with the advertising boards with PAY I don't think its Lichfield Rd I think its Aton Road North and the
building on the left is Midland Counties Dairy.
5) The picture with the BP garage is the Jnt of Portland Rd with Lichfield Road opposite Matty's

Pick with the Mini bus and white car is Wainwright St jnt with Portland Rd on the Jnt use to be a small island with a stone horse trough sited on it

Back