• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Road Aston

Hi ellbrown, it is a sad picture isn't it? According to my Bartholemew's Atlas, 1933, Lichfield Road only went as far as Aston X and then up to Aston Brook Street it was Aston Road North and then Aston Road - I can't remember which road runs to the side of the Vine but I think it's on what was Aston Road. Hope that makes sense.

yes quite correct Lynn sandy lane to the left hand side of it and park street to the right and my auntie edith and cousins the marsden family lived ten doors from the pub on the park street and i was born and raised abot six hundred yards from the pub on lichfield road and uncle frank marsden from wigan worked at Ansels as a drayman for many many years and along from the vine pub about 80 yards was our grand fathers shop the coffee shop where all the familys from our terrace celebrated the queens coronation inside there it was a large shop with two floors with the top one at the back of the shop with two billiard tables and later in years he sold it to the lady s parents whom called her self flower girl years ago on this forum whom lived local to the shop they lived in a bunch of house with there front gardens on the front of lichfield road just along from the vine pub my mother went barby when her father came across and said he sold it to a member of the family he only soldit and the other coffee shops because her mother was the business lady and her finance and when she died he had acces to do so and he had a lady companion so sooner she was burried and i will not name her because she is known to certain members personaly on this forum and they spent all his money and my mother went balistic at him best wishes to all Astonian,,

Hi ellbrown, it is a sad picture isn't it? According to my Bartholemew's Atlas, 1933, Lichfield Road only went as far as Aston X and then up to Aston Brook Street it was Aston Road North and then Aston Road - I can't remember which road runs to the side of the Vine but I think it's on what was Aston Road. Hope that makes sense.

As of 2017 Lichfield Road runs parallel with the Aston Expressway.

This below is from Google Maps.

Lichfield Rd.jpg

Since the 'weed and wardrobe' episode I believe it was owned by the same person who owned The Hairy Lemon chain. I seem to remember there was some trouble and it closed down as happened with the one in High Street, Erdington, formerly The Roebuck.

Thanks Lyn, I'll study that later. So glad Aston Road North is still there - I have a picture I want to post of a shop on that road but I'm having trouble - not unusual! Will try re-scanning it. Should it go somewhere else as it's not Lichfield Road?

This is, of course, the double edged sword of supermarkets. Everyone finds them convenient and low priced (usually).
But it has meant that many towns are now full of charity style shops, empty shops, cafes or take away places. Also the supermarket and convenience stores shelves groan with alcohol products. The off-licence (jug and bottle this way) did good trade at one time especially for those who were considered by some uncharitable folks as "secret drinkers". :eek:

hey everyone...

I wonder if anyone can help me, I half heartedly started looking at a births deaths and marriage records website earlier what is now yesterday evening and 9 hours later I have come across an entry in the 1891 census for my grandfather,great grandfather and great great grandsather who were all living under the same roof at "28 Ct Hse 14 Lichfield Rd".

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me as to where this was along the Lichfield Road, what sort of house it was, did it have it's own water supply, bathroom and so on.

For what it is worth the family name was Onions, there were 6 people living at the address three of whom were working - My great great grandfather was a Japanner, my great grandfather was a metal roller (brass) and the third chap was his brother in law, a Thomas Hastings, who was also a metal roller (brass).

Any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

I am from the other side of the city originally (Quinton) but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread all the same.

thanks
Steve

steve
It was between Sutherland St & Waterworks St, and the actual house is shown in red on the map. the court, and that house was still there till the clearances of the 1960s. It can be seen to be a back to back. Originally it would not have had its own water, and is unlikely to have ever had a bathroom. The toilets would have been shared with others in the court, and , I think, would have been the little set of small squares almost opposite no 14 .

map c 1889 showing no14 court 28 lichfield road.jpg

Mike, I had the unfortunate experience of living in a back to back from 1956 to 1961 and like you stated we had no bathroom and there were 4 outside toilets between 12 houses but we did have running water and sink at the top of the cellar steps. This was also in Aston, 4/128 Vicarage Rd to be exact. Eric

Eric.
I realise that, but I did say "originally", by which I meant when the houses were built. I should have added, but did not, that water would probably have been installed late in the 1800s and may have been installed by 1891. Thank you for pointing thgat out

Barnum and Bailey Circus parade along Lichfield Road (from the Shoothill site). The National Library of Scotland superimposed maps show the section in the image has totally disappeared - see red dot. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 32
Mike
Many thanks, that's more than I could possible have hoped for, thanks for taking the trouble. I barely know my family on either of my parent's sides. To go two, three and four generations back, see where they once lived and get a flavour of the life they had is quite something.

Steve

Yes Lyn, corner of Aston Hall Road/Lichfield Rd, been in there a few times with my Dad. You can just see the railway bridge in the distance by Aston station (on the right), on the left was the 'Brit' (Brittiana) another of my Dad's pubs. Eric

HI MOSSES
FROM Aston cross itself from where the front offices on aston cross walking along the lichfield rd if heading towards the aston resovoir
right from that very corner there was very old and tiny shops if you image the very front door of ansells head office door which was facing the clock its
very central there was about four or five of these shops ; i cannot recall there names or trade at the moment ;
but walk around the corner to where they built an drive in for the horse and cart dray men in and out all day on the lichfield rd
and thats where they started again a series of little shops possible about eight in total ; and thats where the little houses and the big old victorian yards
was placed all along lichfield rd right up to upper portland street where you seen the front of ansells building in those days all those was big courts and prior to them back towards aston cross in and betwen those eight shops was these litle house before the big yards thats where no,13 was
facing them on the opersite side of lichfield rd was a couple of houses that fell betwen hercules bikes lorry entrance and the aston picture houst the astorian picture house and they showed billy hayley in concert and they danced and wrecked the seationg the manager went barmy ;
as i said all along that frontage of ansells up to upper portland stret was the houses and then just crossing the rd to continue was matys and a old butchers shop then old mr parkes where you would get the butter patter out of the barrel then there wasthe opening of a terrace where mandy grand father used to live then anothershop old mrs oxo we called her because she gave us all conkers in the oxo tins hence her name then a mrs barnes bought it off her then it was our rerrace listed as cromwell sqaure we was 5/ 92 lichfield rd ;aston; birmingham 6;
i beleive there is photographs of these house and the courts in one or two maggs and books are knocking about some where
i also recall the side entrance to ansel when they moderen ised that gate for the out exit for the horse befor they rebuilt the yatd whicn is in the beginnig of upper portland street i think i may have a picture book some where of it i can recall all of ansells being bult ack and front and in park road leadig up to
good old victoria rd ; best wishes astonian;

Do l remember right one of the men who worked at the butchers had a large growth on his face as l used to go past on the bus with my mom and sisters and my mom always said" Don't stare at that man".

Joe 90, I remember that man so he must have been there in the 1960's. I thought he worked at the ironmongers but I could be wrong. He used to stand on the step.

Back in 1968 whilst working at Radiation Gas Fires in Thimblemill Lane I won a leg of pork in the Christmas raffle. I had to pick the leg of pork up from a butchers on the RH side of the Lichfield Road as if travelling into the city centre, cant remember which side of the railway station and bridge it was but it was fairly close. I had to pick it up the day before Christmas eve. What an exciting prize for a 18 year old lad. Mum was pleased though, but problem, she already had a turkey in our local butchers deep freeze. No deep freeze at home in those days, so on Christmas eve on collecting the turkey she had to ask the local butcher to put it in his deep freeze until after Christmas. Anybody any idea which butchers this might have been?
Also in 1969 I meet this lovely girl at the Top Rank Suit in Dale End. I was madly in love with her. I had arranged to take her out on one evening, but the day before realised I had no money. Not wanting to cancel the date I took my aircraft spotting telescope to a second hand shop just up from railway station on the RH side as if going into city centre on the Lichfield Road. He gave me £1 10shillings, cost me £13 just a few years earlier. Ah well that's love for you.What shop would that have been then?

There was a second-hand shop on the right called “Many Things”. However, my memory of it is it was before the railway on the right but am not absolutely certain. I recall it as a blue painted frontage on the shop.

Back