• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

stever_51

Brummie babby
Mike
Many thanks, that's more than I could possible have hoped for, thanks for taking the trouble. I barely know my family on either of my parent's sides. To go two, three and four generations back, see where they once lived and get a flavour of the life they had is quite something.

Steve

cookie273uk

master brummie
Yes Lyn, corner of Aston Hall Road/Lichfield Rd, been in there a few times with my Dad. You can just see the railway bridge in the distance by Aston station (on the right), on the left was the 'Brit' (Brittiana) another of my Dad's pubs. Eric

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
ON the other side of the road and lower down, I started my 2nd job aged 15 at Hercules Cycles in May 1945, the year and month the war in Europe finished. Eric
Did Hercules cycles become part of Hercules manor mills at some time. My mum & I think my dad worked there.

Johnbell

master brummie
My earliest memories(1951, 3 years old), we lived opposite Salford Park in a terrible old house next door to a brass foundry. Tiny kitchen, about 4' square and loo in the back yard. Canal 10' from house. The coal barges used to drift down to the power station up Tyburn rd way. Me and Dad(Cyril Bellison) would throw a rope and pull one in to get our coal! Dad worked at Birlec, Tyburn rd, bottom of Hawkesyard rd.
Nan and Grandad Chick(Albert and Liza) lived 54 Hawkesyard rd and had a little wooden hut transport cafe bottom of Hawkesyard rd, on Tyburn rd. Used to love the corned beef sarnies with brown sauce. Fray Bentos from big longcatering size tins. Iwas about 5 when the warehouse a few yards from Grandaf's cafe caught fire. It was full of Fry's and other chocolate stuff. The water damaged boxes were thrown out on the road and i went with my trolley and carted a heap away. Inside the thickboxes most was undamaged. Grandad sold it in the cafe for months! I got a new( 2nd hand) bike!.
Grandad was a bookie on the side and took bets in the cafe, as well as on course, i think this was the main income.Illegal in those days, i used to be sent to another shop down Gravelly Hill every Sat morning with a bag of cash and bets to "lay off", strict instructions to go straight there, talk to no one, and keep the bag safe! I got sixpence from the man in the shop.
We moved to a brand new house in Collingbourne Ave, Hodge Hill area in about 1954 or thereabouts.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
I put this one on some time ago Lynn, it's the famous 'Snuffy Rowleys', he sold everything under the sun, from 'potmenders' to 'Fennings little healers', in the late forties, early fifties I fetched my dads' sporting buff and 10 woodbines from Ernies, he also sold an amazing range of snuff and tobacco, it was dead opposite the post office and Mountfords' cake shop.
I remember Ernie Rowley's shop. My dad used to work up the road from the shop at williams's waste. I never liked going in there as he scared me, as did his wife (who looked like she needed a shave). Never liked the smell either.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi Bazzm & Morturn
I put this one on, as i wonderd if you may have popped in here for a drink.

Stars
Spent many lovely friday night in there when they used to have a reggae night. They were great times in waterworks street & in the church tavern. I miss those days, but seeing photo's like this, those wonderful memories come flooding back. Thank you stars for sharing & helping me remember the good aston times.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
My father had his factory on Litchfield , road Williams brothers / Falstaff house made sliver plated item cutlery ect .
I used to work at your dad's factory for a few years, (if I remember rightly, it was around 1972). If my memory serves well, it was called A J Williams, (some called it Falstaff's). Really loved working there, & loved the Christmas parties every year. There were 2 sisters who worked there with me, & they lived just off Gravelly hill. I fancied one of them, but spent a lot of time with her sister. My mum used to have a few of the money boxes & christening beakers when I worked there. Sadly lost them when she passed away.

Last edited:

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
My father had his factory on Litchfield , road Williams brothers / Falstaff house made sliver plated item cutlery ect .
Hello Skellyele. I used to work at Falstaffs when I lived in Waterworks Street. I was a packer. Really loved my job there & enjoyed the christmas parties that was arranged every year. I can remember 2 sisters who worked with me. They came from Erdington. I can still remember their names (which is surprising, as it has been such a long time ago). Their names was Elaine & Jackie White. I fancied Jackie, but apparently Elaine fancied me. Oh how I miss those days.

Zambodini

master brummie
Not in Lichfield Rd, but my wife used to work at Repco which was down a road off it. May have been Waterwork Rd or Aston Hall Road. Long time ago, as they were building Spaghetti at the time. Probably around 1968.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Not in Lichfield Rd, but my wife used to work at Repco which was down a road off it. May have been Waterwork Rd or Aston Hall Road. Long time ago, as they were building Spaghetti at the time. Probably around 1968.
Hello Zambodini. It must have been Aston Hall Road, as in Waterworks Street, there was just houses, with a couple of shops, including a chippy, though I lived in waterworks street & worked in Priory Road, I do not recall ever seeing the name Repco, I was liveing in Waterworks Street around this time.

Zambodini

master brummie
Hi Michael, it could have been Priory Road. Repco Engineering was the full name. They had a creche where my wife worked. She said they could see the workmen on the start of Spaghetti, I guess where it joins with the Expressway.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi Michael, it could have been Priory Road. Repco Engineering was the full name. They had a creche where my wife worked. She said they could see the workmen on the start of Spaghetti, I guess where it joins with the Expressway.
Hello Zambodini. I vaguely remember seeing the name Repco engineering down Priory road. I worked at the Hermetic Rubber company with my uncle. Been such a long time ago, my memory is not as good as it used to be. Sadly, only certain places I do remember well.