• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Rd Tavern/ Aston Rd Tavern/ Manor Tavern

Emex

My first posting - I have found an old census where an ancester of my family (1861 - William Middleton) was recorded as a "Retail Brewer". I found a thread which I think was well covered and may be relevant " where was this pub"
Thread starterAstoness - Start date Dec 21, 2008
The census is a little confusing as it mentions either 64 Thimble Mill Lane or 64 Lichfield Road
I'm not sure how to proceed with my request and link with the original thread - but can any one help me to correctly post this or if someone can help with my request even better.

The findmypast transcript lists him on Lichfield Road. What address does it give for the people either side of him or is it just road/roads at the top and then ditto?

The map of 1886 shows that The Swan Pool Tavern was on the corner of Lichfield Road and Holborn Hill. Thimble Mill Lane joining Holborn Hill a short distance away.

On a side note I notice that he married an Emma Cutler. A couple of posters have an interest in the Cutlers and relations who were victuallers/farmers.

Last edited:
Emex
The 1867 PO directory (probably referring to 1866) lists William Middleton as at the Aston Hall Tavern, which seems to be near Park St junction, though no numbering is given. I do not know if you have access to the original entries, but , if you go to the next page, his wife is listed and it states there that it is the Aston Hall Tavern. The 65 is the enumeration number on the census, and not the number of the building in the street

The pub seems to have disappeared by the time of the 1872 and 1873 directories

Back