• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Library Of Birmingham 2013

Large design companies can charge £1,000 a day for this work, if not more. Capita is a large company that secures many government contracts. It can afford to invest in winning tenders for this type of work, which means smaller companies don't get a look in. I'd be interested to know what the cost is per user of the site. Then maybe we could judge whether the cost is fully justified. I had a quick look around the site and it looks pretty much like any other site, so I doubt there's much in the way of extra design costs incurred there. Still can't quite get my head around it. Maybe it's something to do with the volume of data? In any case, the public should be able to see why it spent that sort of money. Transparency and all that. Viv.

Stunning photos Terry. Whether you like the building or not, it's impressive at night. I love the sunken area, a great feature. That view with Baskerville in the background is great. Viv.

Thanks both, but I am certainly no expert, just a simple compact camera combined with lucky shots. I must have took about 60 odd pictures that night and most of them I will probably delete.

Terry

I am particularly pleased with this one, though strictly speaking it is not of the library.

SAM_0062 (Medium).JPG

A good idea and perseverance pays Terry. And the sense to delete - wish I did it more.

I agree Bernard, I wish I did it more, but its not often I get good ideas :friendly_wink: Incidentally, any picture I post of mine can be freely used by anyone. Terry

Thanks Terry lovely photo's. I wish everyone shared, I feel the same way with my photo's and family tree it's to be shared.

nice piccies you took there terry...agree with you wend...if we cant share our photos and information with a good heart there would be no history forum

lyn

I went this morning, it was wasn't busy so I tried using the electronic shelving. After some beeping and flashing a young lady came over to help, as she could see I wasn't pressing the right buttons! Once I got the hang of it I was OK, I had to shift the whole block one by one to get to the Will books. I don't think they are practical for day to day use as only one person can use at a time, but I can see that they protect the books.
There was still work being carried out on windows, but the view of the Ice-rink, Wheel and Markets is amazing!!
rosie.

I agree with you about the electronic shelving Rosie. If you take something out to look at and then someone else wants another bookcase and moves it along, you have to wait till they've finished before you can carry on. And even though I was shown how to work it, I had forgotten by the next time! Not thought out properly to my mind! With the shelving in the old library all the books were available readily.
Judy

We went to the new library and was quite impressed. After coming out we thought we would have a look
in the art gallery, as i had not been in there for years. on entering i see they had a display on Birmingham
history and industry. I had a gt grandad who worked as a pearl button maker. I was pleased to see there was
a display on pearl button making, i was amazed how beautiful they are. I thought others on the Forum might
like to see them, so here is a couple of photos i took. If you are up town you may want to visit the display.
There is also a guided tour at certain times for a small charge. Well worth the trip
regards Stars

2013-12-10 11.03.22.jpg 2013-12-10 11.03.29.jpg

hi stars...those buttons are just lovely...i can remember finding loads of broken ones and ones that did not come up to scratch...would find them scattered around villa street as i lived just down from where copes pearl button makers factory was..

just as an aside and we will have to see if it comes about that the libary plan to cut their opening hours as running costs are proving to high..

lyn

Last edited:
Reminds me of when I was little, just after the war. A crowd of us kids would go down to the bombed out houses in what is now called the Jewellery Quarter and search for what we called 'jewels'. Little bits of pearl buttons which we treasured. Mind you, thinking now of how we crawled over and under all the rubble is quite scary!

Found the Malala plaque and the Prince William plaque yesterday. As you enter it is to the right (below the mezzanine)

A couple of after dark views from the Secret Garden

BT Tower and Summer Row

Suffolk Street Queensway

Broad Street

I saw this article this morning Brumgum. I loved the comments people left on the article site. Made me smile if nothing else.

I was saddened by the report. Surely Birmingham, as the city of England, has more to commemorate than a football club, even if it is well known.
What was wrong with red/white/blue, a patriotic colouring which I am sure would reflect the majority of citizens viewpoint.
On the other hand maybe it was done deliberately: guaranteed to raise the hackles of football supporters and give the library a lot of publicity.
Of course Londoners might think Birmingham was celebrating West Ham FC! :biggrin:

A fruitful trip to the library today finding confirmation that the man I had as my great uncle really is my great uncle and finding out he fought in the Boer War.

Also nice and quiet today, much more like a library should be.

Popped up to Suffolk Street Queensway last night (before I turned back to The Arcadian for my works Xmas party)

Aston Villa colours (?)

Visited the Library last week with my other half,his first view of it ever and his comment "looks like a big present all wrapped up".
And Vile colours at night, whatever next?????
Sue

I was saddened by the report. Surely Birmingham, as the city of England, has more to commemorate than a football club, even if it is well known.
What was wrong with red/white/blue, a patriotic colouring which I am sure would reflect the majority of citizens viewpoint.
On the other hand maybe it was done deliberately: guaranteed to raise the hackles of football supporters and give the library a lot of publicity.
Of course Londoners might think Birmingham was celebrating West Ham FC! :biggrin:
Not Quite. I come from Croydon originally although I haven't lived there for 50 years. The local team (Crystal Palace) also plays in Claret and Blue usually. They haven't been doing so well this year. It must have made someone happy to see their colours on our library yesterday - they won (beat Villa).

Back