• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lexmark all in one series 5200 printer

Patty

master brummie
Hi all, just before I get rid off this printer I wondered if anyone had any idea's if this could be solved, the printer is 7yrs old not used that much but the green on off light is flashing on and off and I cant get it to stop, so the printer just wont do anything because it is not connecting properly. There is nothing in the window to give me a message and I have taken every plug out and pressed all the buttons ect. I have googled and tried several things, have even uninstalled the programe from my laptop and now cant reinstall as it say problem, it says something about printer off line as well but even to use the printer on its own is not working. Any help would be great, I am going out this morning but will be back later this afternoon. It seems a shame to just sling it but to have a man in to look it may cost me more than it is worth and I always get a load of
help of my friends on here. Thanks Pattyx
PS
It said something about a paper jam in the book and I do recall having one of those but I have had a look and there is no paper stuck anywhere, and another thing when I lift the case up to look at the ink the cartridges dont move from the side to the middle as they used to so it just dead

Last edited:
assuming you still have the software CD have you tried de-installing and reinstalling?? (go to Control Panel to De-install) Eric

Hi Patty
In my opinion it sounds like a machinical or electronic failure, usually when a printer or scanner starts up it makes a racket when it is doing a self test. I have had this problem before on previous printers, in the end i had to go out and buy a new printer because it was cheaper to buy one than to get it repaired I am hoping that I may be wrong for your sake

pud

Eric and Phil have done both, i think it is something electrical, will try messing again later then it might be the bin

Pudding, I agree Printers are so cheap it would cost more to have it repaired than to buy a new printer. Its the inks which are expensive. Eric

Glad someone else thinks printer inks are expensive, dearer than
Single Malt! I have had my Epson printer, SX100 just over three
years, very good but the inks are dear. My son in law told me never
to use "compatable" only the "real" inks, but they are so much
cheaper I am tempted.Even on the net they are about £6 each, and when you have three colours and a "black" can be a lot out of ones
pocket money, the 25p a week for being over 80 dont go very far.
Bernard

Bernard - I have had good results from Compatible inks but also poor results. Printrite were pretty good.

I use Cartridge World or JCI only ever use refilled compatables. I have HP 5940, best printer I have had.

Bernard, I have an Epson Stylus SX218 and when the original Epson inks which came with the printer ran out I began to use compatables. 3 colours and a black £10. 98 and frankly I cannot see any difference in the quality of the printing. I'd give it a try if I was you. I get mine on line from 'Choice Stationery Supplies'. Eric

There are usually 3 causes for a flashing light,1- PAPER JAM,2- OUT OF PAPER, 3 JAMMED CARRIAGE.
You've checked for a jam, load paper, give the carriage a little nudge,keep your fingers out of the way.

Like Cookie, I've used Choice Stationery for a few years using compatible cartridges and have only had 1 bad one. They work out quite a bit cheaper for my Cannon printer.

Jon do you mean the ink cartridges carriage? when I lift the deck to check them they are to the side, I had to manually pull them along the other day. Because the light is flashing nothing will come on because it isn't connected so I think I've lost this one do you? You know the socket that goes into the back of the printer, could that be broke. I cant get to see the workings of were the paper goes down but I am pretty sure there is no paper in there.

Hi Patty,
Wonder when you last had the printer working? You could try this solution;
How to check the All-In-One status;Check the All-In-One status to make sure your document is not being held or paused and that the All-In-One is set as the default printer. To check the status:
  • For (Windows XP). Click Start Control Panel, Printers, and Other Hardware Printers and Faxes
For (Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000). Click Start Settings, Printers, and Faxes or Printers
  • Double-click the Lexmark 5200 Series icon.
Click Printer and make sure no check mark appears next to Pause Printing. Also make sure a check mark does appear next to Set As Default.

Worth a try.

Hi Patty, Went into Tesco couple of weeks ago, they had a stack of
HP Printers half price, cant quite remember the price, think it was
around £35, certainly a lot cheaper than they were, cheers Bernard

Well i have taken the printer to my nephew who is an I. T. expert and he cant fix it so good bye printer. I want a new one now that can print, scan and copy. There are loads about but I have been told the printers are not too expensive but it is the ink refills you have to watch the price off. I don't do much printing of photo's as I used to so any suggestions which to buy?? My old one had just 2 cartridges I understand some have much more, I want to avoid those if I can, is a wireless free one worth the extra I fancy one of those????

Hi Patty, the way the price of inks keep going up it will soon be cheaper to replace
the Printer when you run out of ink, take care now Bernard.

Hi Patty, I bought a wireless HP printer from Argos for less than £50. it has a colour cartridge and a black and white one. When the ink is empty i go to Inkspot and they refill them for £5 each. i haven't had any problems yet and I do masses of printing, both colour and black and white.

Just to let you know I went and got a printer from Curry's the other day, so many to choose from but all I need really was a basic all in one, scan copy and print, so I put my sensible head on which is a rarity and went for the basic which was a HP £29.99 and it had 2 full cartridges in unlike all the others which had just enough ink in to do a test page I was told, then you had to but the ink which was about another £30 odd pounds on top of the price. So I took it home put the disc in and set it up, easy peasy, and it works fine for my needs. I might even scan some photo's and show you when I have time.
Thanks for all your help Patty

I won a tenner on the lottery last week so it i put it towards the printer not bad eh

Back