• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

Was on loan to Lewis's maintaince dept,
you should have seen the cash that we found
when we moved the various counters around when altering the
various department's

Does anyone remember the Lewis's staff outing
we went on to Blackpool,in a broken down old Charabanc,
windows missing,caught in fog got back early next morning

This photo of me with my friend was taken in Lewis's about 1965. I remember wanting to take the chimp home with me he was just adorable. I realise the it isn't pc now to use animals in this way, though at the time I was pretty chuffed to have had the opportunity to hold him/her.

The Minories

Hi Everybody
Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that was located at the end of the minories about 50 years ago.

:angel: I love it Fergie.

Jim don't be mean Fergie looks lovely, impish maybe but not at all chimpish :cool:

lewis's

hi

I alway's remember Lewis's Caferteria. My Aunti Win worked
there all her Life. When we visted her she was full of life and vigor.
Ive attached a tribute to her.

Mike

The way science is going in the future John who know what can happen LOL ?

Lewis's and the Like

When I was old enough to ride my bike away from home, my best friend and I used to ride a circuit from West Bromwich, through Oldbury, and somehow end up on the Wolverhampton Road, through Quinton, and keep going until we got to Snowhill. We parked up our bikes outside Lewis's and went inside. We were fascinated by the escalators and the lifts, so up we went, down we came, up we went, and down we came and after the umpteeneth time, the lift manager told us he'd seen enough of us and would we vacate the building. No harm done just having exciting rides up and down.
Feeling like villains of the peace, we jumped on our bikes and rode back to West Bromwich along the Birmingham Road. I cannot believe we used to do that ride today. Our parents would have had a fit, or would they? We were making our own entertainment, lots of fresh??air and excercise in a very innocent manner. I remember it as if it were yesterday.
As I got older then Lewis's was frequented by me on a regular basis - often wondering if I'd get recognised!!
Also - what about the Kardoma opposite the Station for a quick frothy coffee, AND Lyons Corner House being waited on by pretty blackfrocks and white frilled waitress's in , serving us those delicious Kunzle cakes and pots of tea with milk IN JUGS. I had my mother or father for company then
All very English and lovely

did you ever go up to the roof garden of lewis's ?
they had the Austin pedle cars up there on a small road layout
amongst the garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peddle Cars

Goodness NO I didn't. Do you mean my friend and I (see the first post on this forum) missed out a floor? AND peddle cars?
On my later shopping trips when I could behave , Lewis's served me well, inevitably they always had what I wanted.
How is it looking these days? I hope it is still there and not gone, or been taken over. If so, has the facade changed?
Lewis's to me is very much a part of Birmingham

Back