• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Pomgolian, I see you were a member of the ABC Minors. Great times those were. I was a monitor :2funny: :knuppel2:

Lewis use to have the most magical Christmas displays. As a child my mum would take us to see the displays and if she had any spare coppers, she would take me and my brothers to vist santa. These are very precious memories for me.

In the late 40's my mother was a hairdresser in Lewis's ladies hair salon. On the top floor if I remember correctly. E.

l did read somewhere that the person who had Lewiss's built stood on various street corners in the city to see which one was the busiest with pedestrians then decided that the intersection of Bull Street and Corporation Street was where he would build his store. l beleive that Lewiss's that used to be in Leicester and the one that was in Birmingham had the same owner. These were not to be confused with John Lewiss as in Liverpool, Peterborough ect that are still in business.

Yup there was a "chain" of lewis,s Head Office was in Renalagh st Liverpool .There was one in Manchester, Glasgow,Bristol, Leicester and I may remember some others.
Ownership changed over the years, at some point they belonged to the British Shoe Corporation and Charles Clore was the chief in the late 1960,s . Selfridges was also part of the organisation,which is where we did our managemnt training courses at Welbeck St London . There was/is a selfridges still in Oxford of the old stores.
And of course that appalling edifice in the bullring .

I have searched high and low for this pic taken at Lewis's in the early 60s :'(

Angie you look as if you are about to burst into tears, I must say the Santa is not my idea of a jovial Ho Ho Ho Father Christmas, where on earth did they find him from?

I know Sylvia,he was too scarey ::) ::) and i did cry and cry :'( :'(

:angel: I agree with Sylvia, Angie you look scared to death... mind he does look more like the Grim Reaper or Old FatherTime, than Father Christmas.

If I'd known I was goin' to get so much flack....I wouldn't have done it!!! :tickedoff:

Angie, you have every reason to be scared because Santa looks very sad....Looks like the guy who used to beg outside New Street Station years ago and really needed a job.
You probably sensed he was a bit odd hence the tears. Lovely memory photo of yourself though.

YES I CAN REMEMBER THE PETS ETC ON THE ROOF , AND UNCLE HOLLY , MY RECOLLECTION OF SEEING FATHER CHRISTMAS THERE WAS THAT THE LIFT WOULD BE TURNED INTO A SPACESHIP OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT THEN YOU WENT AROUND A GROTTO WITH ALL MOVING EXIBITS UNTIL YOU REACHED THE MAIN MAN . THATS 50 PLUS YEARS AGO BUT I CAN STILL REMEMBER THE DAYS. JOHN EDWARD

Only just discovered this site as I am new to the History Webring and must comment on the Lewiss threads and soft Ice Cream. I and my girl friend worked part time (Sats & Bank Holidays) at Lewis's for a couple of years late 50s eraly 60s on the soft ice cream stands which were located in the basement passageway, ground floor food hall, 5th floor toys and the roof (in the summer) The concession was franchised out to a Mr Braine who also had the concession at Lewis's, Leicester and Blackpool. Although Lewis's paid us Mr Braine gave us a tip each week and over the 2 years we saved enough money for a deposit £250 on our first house. Ice Cream cones were 6p each and 9p with a Flake. Most Sats the basement kiosk took over a £100 and approx £300 throughout the store. A lot of money in those days and a good concession. About 4 times a year there was a "smasher" day whereby all prices in the store was reduced and the store became a heaving mass of customers, as the bell rang for end of day a cheer rang out from all staff as they collapsed through exhaustion, Even the ice cream sales doubled.

The Toy Department was a treasure trove of toys to all those who did not ever get new toys, playing with all those demonstration toys on the floor of the store, then when tired of those to go up onto the roof and see all those birds and animals. WHAT A TREAT.

Welcome to the site Daremic.........Great story about the ice cream cones. Nice boss Mr. Braine, giving you both a tip but as he must have been doing well with the machines in the store I expect he could afford it. Unlike many bosses Mr. Braine shared his profits with his employees.

I didn't realize that there were other places in Lewis's where they had ice cream machines other than the basement. My mother loved the cones and when I was with her alone shopping(I had two brothers) she would go to the basement immnediately we arrived at the store and buy a cone for each of us. They were 4d then and this must have been in the early l950's. I can remember one day she bought us two each...must have had a few extra coppers that day! I often had to sit in the Pattern Department on those high stools whilst she went through all the Pattern Books and then looked for material and I was rewarded for being patient.

Back