• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

The Minories road surface was once laid with rubber block bricks as an experiment.

Yes, I remember those too. Black and smooth - and they were quiet when you walked over them. Do we know when they were put down and how long they lasted?

Sorry if this has been covered before - it's a long thread to re-read - but was there ever a connection with John Lewis (which of course still thrives)?

Chris

I too hated the hairdressing section not only did you have to sit on a wooden animal your haircut was finished of with singeing wax tapers to what end I donot know. However what about those external displays on the outside of the building, they actually moved as a child I thought they were wonderful it was fortunate that my grandmothers bus was a number 14 leaving for her house right outside Lewis,s year after year. To be realistic my main memories of post war Brum were bombed out buildings alive with purple fireweed and the Lewis,s xmas displays.

Hi All,
some photos of the annual prize giving at Lewis's for young members of staff going into management.
Photo 1
taken in 1961 the diminutive young lady in the middle between 2 lads is my girl friend (now wife) June Hubbleday, I am just below her on her right looking at the pic'
Photo 2
would be a couple of years later, June didn't persue the course any further but I am still in there 6th from the right in the back row
Regards Chris B

chrisbusbyoutbase, Singeing was done to seal the ends of your and stop you getting a cold, thats what i was told when i was a pre WW2 kid i believed then, now i don`t know, probably a load of bull!!. Len.

Thank you Di. Another lovely picture, but why did you leave the buses out? I can't remember being in Bull Street without a bus in sight. And three cars together was a bit unusual from my memory. Best wishes to you.
Peter

I loved lewises .. I live in Halifax now and shopping is disgusting .
Ant one else used to go into town on a saturday and do lewises / rackams down to the bull ring , round the ragmarket and have a bag of chips .. I really miss that .
My mum really is missing going to town too just this year the arthritus is defeating her and she is dragging herlad quite bad .. she cant get into town .. but its all changed anyway and isnt pensioner friendly .
Jean

Thanks Di...a great rendering if I can call it that. One of the centres of the Universe in Brum for us growing up and in our teens all those decades ago. The recollection of the "rubber road" was something I was happy to read about and finally remembered it.
The entrance to the amazing Food Floor at Lewis's is definitely a great memory. You could simply sniff all the good things that they sold. I still
remember the huge 40lb turkeys that were on sale for one thing.

Peter, sorry about the lack of bus's, and how right you are, they would stack up outside Greys. The PC I found to do a watercolour from was as you see it not a bus in sight. But I bet you when they came there were three. I had a projest to try to record places from my past that are now no more. Sadly I haven't kept it up, but this winter I intend to get going again.

You know Jennyann as I read your post I could smell the food hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear about your Mom catsclaw, we don't go into Birmingham city centre now unless we have to, it certainly isn't what it was, we tend to shop in Solihull or have a ride out to Redditch and go to the Kingfisher Centre.
All the best Chris B

There was a ladies hairdressing dept . I used to go regularly in my teens & even had my hair done there on the day I got married Sept 24 1949.
When I was about 6 I asked my mom where babies came from ? she said lewis's 5 pound each!!! & I believed her !!! During the war they had dances in the canteen if you Knew and anyone that worked there they could get you a ticket, When the war ended, (food was still rationed) you could take your own dish to the food dept & they would make a trifle in it with synthetic creamon top, & we thought they were wonderful. they were the first to sell soft serve ice cream after the war & we used to queue up for it even when it was snowing.

Jean

lewis's what a great store.i loved the moving stairs and the lifts,with the man telling you what floor you was coming up to,The model trains in the toy dept,and best of all the free samples of food,down in the food hall.

Lewis's escalator was the first I ever went on as a small child. Wasn't most of it wooden?

I think my Mother told me years ago that during the war Clark Gable was in Lewis's selling kisses for 1 shilling each for the war effort - or did I imagine it - it was so long ago?

Lewis's escalator was the first I ever went on as a small child. Wasn't most of it wooden?

I think my Mother told me years ago that during the war Clark Gable was in Lewis's selling kisses for 1 shilling each for the war effort - or did I imagine it - it was so long ago?

That's right Maryd, the escalators were made of wood and went up only. To come back down it had to be by lift or stairs.

Len, I have just read "Basement Extrodinaire" from the WW2 Memories site that you posted. What a story that was about the Nurse's memories - and how brave people were during the war. It was an marvellous story of her experiences. Thanks for posting that site, I haven't seen it before. When I have a bit more time I will go through all the other stories.

Judy

[judy39], The WW2 Memories can be so interesting and when i read "Basement Extraordinaire" i was amazed at how we coped with the Blitz & the War in general, all that medical care being given below our feet and how many Brummies knew about it?. Len.

Thanks for the link, Len. It is such a remarkable article I think it deserves quoting in full in this thread. As I understand the copyright conditions applicable to that site, it is permissible to do this.

Basement Extraordinaire
by Edith Davies

Many Medical/Nursing Teams went out into the city centres of our land during the many air-raids. Remembrance Day gives us an opportunity to reflect and remember.

As a young student nurse what an honour it was to be a member of such a team. So come with me. The sirens are once again sounding, penetrating the fragile silence.

Birmingham General Hospital stood proud and majestic in the heart of the great Midlands industrial city, lit only by flares and searchlights scanning the skies above. One emergency team stayed inside the hospital complex for immediate duty as and when necessary. A further team consisting of surgeons, housemen and nurses reported for duty in the basement of Lewis's big department store. This team assembled in the corridor of the main nurse's home taking with them uniforms, underwear and toiletries sufficient for two days. Matron stood at the exit door, the corridor in darkness except for torches. Each member of the team received a tin helmet and well wishes from Matron. I think we all wore Wellingtons and carried our duty shoes.

We left the cosy, small side road and turned into the main street where some buildings were already ablaze. Firemen were desperately trying to control the flames. Water appeared to be everywhere. We paddled through it, stepping over hoses, over and around debris, picking our way up the centre of the street wherever possible. Overhead the sky was brightly lit, reflecting the fires. Searchlights scanned the sky for the Luftwaffe. I remember vividly seeing planes in the circling lights, looking like silver grey phantoms and then, horror of horrors, falling bombs and dull thuds in the near distance. We would be very busy tonight.

Lewis's basement at last! Already rows and rows of trestle beds had been erected by the ARP wardens and Lewis's staff were on call to help. Behind a special partition we set up two theatres and checked the emergency beds. All was ready in a couple of minutes. The casualties, expected to be few at first, arrived in large numbers, mostly on stretchers, all covered in a film of grey dust, their clothes ragged and bloodstained, their faces ashen. Some were unconscious, others extremely shocked and battered. Most of them had been treated at the first aid posts set up all round the city. Patients given an injection of morphine had a cross inked on their foreheads. It was the duty of nurses outside the theatre area to assess each patient quickly. Those in need of immediate surgery or treatment we placed on beds in the front rows, others in rows according to their injuries and urgency. Sadly for some of them the journey had been too strenuous and these air raid victims were placed, with as much dignity as possible, on a marble counter in the snack bar. How hard it was to show no emotion! In the theatre limbs were restored or amputated, internal injuries repaired, burns dressed and blood transfusions given in great numbers. How welcome was that marvellous cup of hot coffee, that pot of tea, and the many sandwiches and biscuits Lewis's management prepared and sent down to the basement. Many thanks to them and their staff for this wonderful support without which our task would have been so much harder and more tiring.

How time flies! The All Clear sounded a short while ago but we didn't hear it. Casualties were still arriving, but at a much slower rate. All those fit to be moved were transferred to out lying hospitals whose wards had been emptied and got ready weeks or even months before. Gradually the rows of beds in the basement decreased, the numbers of patients lessened and no more arrived.

Behind the partitions, patients too ill to be moved remained with a skeleton staff. Would they survive the day? Probably not. For young nurses such conditions were hard. No training had taught them how to deal with them. A light touch of the head, a squeeze of the hand was all they had time to give patients they knew were scared and in pain. How they longed to linger, to say a few words, to give hope but other lives were in danger and vital minutes could save them. That night this young nurse grew up!

All the beds in the general area had now been removed. Lewis's staff had been busy cleaning the floors, the dead had been taken to the city mortuary, the snack bar was sparkling clean. Dawn had arrived? A new day began! For Lewis's department store, business as usual!​

© Edith Davies 2003. (To read this memoir in its original setting, the excellent BBC People's War Archive, please click here. WW2 People's War is an online archive of wartime memories contributed by members of the public and gathered by the BBC. The complete archive can be found at www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar[/I]. There are tens of thousands of contributions including many referring to Birmingham. Use the Search facility and such definitions as "Birmingham + bombing" or "Birmingham + ARP" or "Birmingham + your part of the city" to unearth them).

Last edited:
Thanks ChrisM for posting the full text, i was`nt sure about the copyright and did not want cause any problems. Len.

Just to say I loved Lewis at Christmas. What beautiful memories.

This was the real Father Christmas - (at Lewis's about 1960 or 61) I think the wrapping must have "fell off" my present.....................

Great photo Mike. Special memories of the real Father Christmas at Lewis's. Like the duffel coats too. Great gear those.

Back